Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Diani - Watamu - Kenya coast waves?

Forum for kitesurfers
Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom
Brand Affiliation: None

Diani - Watamu - Kenya coast waves?

Postby Strekke » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:08 pm

Anyone got any info on what I can expect in terms of waves on the Kenyan coast in July? Thinking of going to Diani and/or Watamu - which one has better waves? Any other spots worth visiting? Not expecting to get barreled or a wave similar to One Eye but would be nice to know if I can expect some fun times on the surfboard. Also really into wave foiling so wondering if it's deep enough to foil in these places? Looks pretty shallow at low tide but wondering how deep the water is out on the reef breaks... Lastly, I see that some of the kiteschools also rent out surfboards - would be cool to catch a few waves in the morning on a longboard or something before the tradewinds kick in so also interested in finding out what I can expect in terms of surfing/swell/breaks on no-wind mornings/days. Thanks in advance for all the info - if I end up going, will report back here :thumb:

dice
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Re: Diani - Watamu - Kenya coast waves?

Postby dice » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:00 pm

I've been in Mombassa and it was quite flat. But the water at the ocean was not deep either, the deep part was a bit further than the beach.

rafd
Medium Poster
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0

Re: Diani - Watamu - Kenya coast waves?

Postby rafd » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:13 pm

I've not been to Diani but Watamu and up the coast at Malindi has good waves in July I think. I was there in August/Sept and there were usually waist up to head high. At Malindi they break quite close in, at Watamu it is about 1km out to the reef which is very shallow at low tide. The waves got better at low. For pure waves it seemed Malindi was a better spot
These users thanked the author rafd for the post:
Strekke (Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:26 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”