Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Helmets for kitesurfing and the bucketing and drag myth

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:21 pm

Sarda wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:28 pm
Are you aware there is a point when helmet wearing would be a legal requirement/mandatory?

Do you know what that point is?

What are the problems/implications associated with providing misinformation about an items properties/capabilities/functions/abilities etc. both positive and negative(in this case a helmet, classed as PPE) in achieving that point?

Could that be regarded as "best practices"?
If not the user, who would benefit?

Do you understand the problems/implications?

Do you require a car analogy or anecdote, possibly an intimation of experience like back in the day to assist limited comprehensive abilities?

What exactly have you solved?
What have you tried to solve?

Do you understand the questions?

Is misuse of PPE one of the largest contributing factors resulting in injury /death to the user?

Why is that?

Is there a debate?
Are you pissed off?
Have you considered lending your outstanding probem solving skills anywhere else?
Can you tell us about these things? Stating something as a question rarely yields answers and it cannot support constructive debate. Present the information you have, so that it can further the conversation.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:30 am

Or not, almost no one cares at this point.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
PullStrings (Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:56 am)
Rating: 3.03%

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:13 am

Sarda wrote:
TheJoe wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:31 pm
Everyone bear with me and I can solve this debate.

If you want to wear a helmet then do it.

If you do not want to wear one then don't.

No matter where you stand on the subject. Keep that shit to yourself.

If someone asks for a recommendation on a helmet. Give a recommendation and not your opinion on if a helmet is needed or not.

Enjoy being less pissed off and combative with my short list of tips. Pissed off people tend to be ass holes and no one likes ass holes.

Thanks and enjoy some wind.
Are you aware there is a point when helmet wearing would be a legal requirement/mandatory?

What are the problems/implications associated with providing misinformation about an items properties/capabilities/functions/abilities etc. both positive and negative(in this case a helmet, classed as PPE) in achieving that point?

Do you require a car analogy or anecdote, possibly an intimation of experience like back in the day to assist limited comprehensive abilities?

Is misuse of PPE one of the largest contributing factors resulting in injury /death to the user?

Why is that?

Is there a debate?
Are you pissed off?
Have you considered lending your outstanding probem solving skills anywhere else?
Weren't in the Middle East recently by any chance?
Doesn't matter to me I wear a helmet. Then again you probably really don't care and your just trolling.
These users thanked the author TheJoe for the post:
iriejohn (Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:16 am)

Sarda
Frequent Poster
Gear: Bit of everything

Postby Sarda » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:00 pm

TheJoe wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:13 am
Sarda wrote:
TheJoe wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:31 pm
Everyone bear with me and I can solve this debate.

If you want to wear a helmet then do it.

If you do not want to wear one then don't.

No matter where you stand on the subject. Keep that shit to yourself.

If someone asks for a recommendation on a helmet. Give a recommendation and not your opinion on if a helmet is needed or not.

Enjoy being less pissed off and combative with my short list of tips. Pissed off people tend to be ass holes and no one likes ass holes.

Thanks and enjoy some wind.

Why is that?

Is there a debate?
Are you pissed off?
Weren't in the Middle East recently by any chance?
Doesn't matter to me I wear a helmet. Then again you probably really don't care and your just trolling.
Is it a helmet with magical properties as described by Fred and denied by the makers?

Do you understand your helmets particular capabilities and limitations in line with the products supplied documentation?

Does it carry a warning?
What is that warning?

Is one of its listed features: can protect the user from their own ignorance?

Is this Forum a safe space to demonstrate and promote ignorance?

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:30 pm

Sarda wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:00 pm
Is it a helmet with magical properties as described by Fred and denied by the makers?

Do you understand your helmets particular capabilities and limitations in line with the products supplied documentation?
No magical properties. Its properties are governed by the laws of physics. Documentation should state that, but I admit there are people out there who cannot possibly comprehend that.

Sarda wrote:
Does it carry a warning?
What is that warning?
Usually the warning says something like only protects from impacts under a certain force. But it should say, "does not protect your toes, ankles, knees, legs, ribs wrist,........ ya know, things that those of us over 2years old can kind of figure out for ourselves. But honestly, those warnings are for the lawyers and product insurance companies. It's been my experience that primarily conscientious and intelligent people are the only ones wearing helmets, so no "reality warning" needed.

Sarda wrote:
Is one of its listed features: can protect the user from their own ignorance?
No, that's a straitjacket you're thinking of. And straitjackets don't come with a helmet, usually because they have a padded room to function as the helmet.

Sarda wrote:
Is this Forum a safe space to demonstrate and promote ignorance?
No free exchange of ideas can ever be a "safe space". Read that as, "This forum may not be what you had in mind if you were looking for a 'happy place echo chamber' - this place is for big boys and girls."

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:40 am

It protects my bald head from sunburn like it is magical. Doesn't do anything to protect me from internet trolls.

metrox
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 66
Style: Freestyle, Bigair
Gear: Naish

Postby metrox » Sun May 22, 2022 9:42 am

This week I had big crash against water with knocking out.
Did backroll with kiteloop (what I did so many times) and on pop cached chop, was out of control, went panic and not rotated kite till the end what resulted full power crash on my back from around 7m.
It was hard crash so I was knocked out for some seconds for sure (even not remember what was after around 10min). I kited by myself to the beach etc but not remember about it at all.

Now I started to thinking about wearing helmet again. At least when doing new bigair tricks. I heard a lot opinions about using helmet. I used by myself many years ago when I was beginner (wakestyle helmet) and its not working on water for sure. Its big and bulky.
But now I found Gath SFC helmets and they are low profile, looks like sitting well on head. Also some bigair pro riders using them. For example Andrea Principi ...
So my question here does Gath helmet can help on crashes against water? I still hear opinions that helmet only for saving on crashes against hard things.

P.S.
I feel like many not wear helmet because it is ugly and not stylish (but it is for sure :) )
To be honest I have the same feeling when I thinking about wearing the helmet :))
Also, I think, many looking on pro riders and see that they are not using helmets and don't want not looking like a PRO :))

Thanks.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sun May 22, 2022 2:55 pm

I wear a gath helmet and chose it based on the minimally scientific experiment of jumping into a pool comparing against my previous helmet.

My bias it it protects against water impact and minor board impact.

It is so thin and low profile I believe there is no bucket effect

But it is also so thin it is clear to me that it does not have the type of cushion to offer much protection in a bigger impact.

So while it seems optimal for my underpowered riding, I couldn’t say if it’s the ideal solution for big air. Common sense would say it’s better than nothing provided there is no harm. I would also say that it is not clear if that answer is known for any helmet but again to me the Gath seems optimal for the type of impacts I expect hydrofoiling.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
metrox (Mon May 23, 2022 8:52 am)

CaptainKook
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Surf
Gear: 7, 9, 12

Postby CaptainKook » Mon May 23, 2022 8:48 am

According to Gaths website, the 'Gath Gedi' is the only helmet recommended for higher impact sports and specifically kitesurfing. If you use the SFC it will protect you for smaller bumps, but likely not for any higher impacts.
These users thanked the author CaptainKook for the post (total 2):
metrox (Mon May 23, 2022 8:52 am) • daffes (Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:30 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

metrox
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 66
Style: Freestyle, Bigair
Gear: Naish

Postby metrox » Mon May 23, 2022 8:52 am

CaptainKook wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:48 am
According to Gaths website, the 'Gath Gedi' is the only helmet recommended for higher impact sports and specifically kitesurfing. If you use the SFC it will protect you for smaller bumps, but likely not for any higher impacts.
Thank you. I will take a look

Return to “Kitesurfing”