Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The "why does my pump hose not fit the inflate" explained.

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The "why does my pump hose not fit the inflate" explained.

Postby iriejohn » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:12 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:57 pm
Yes, it is a stupid mess. But all you need has been available for ages: a Boston valve. Adapter for Boston is very usual and has a conical shape for a reason - it fits all time every time. When you stick that firmly into the valve it doesn't come loose. Boston valve has big enough diameter for good airflow making inflation just as easy as it can be with modern pumps.

So conclusion is: new valves are unnecessary and worse than good old Boston valve. With Boston there is no need for silly twisting the hose at all.

Ideally Boston adapter should be glued to the hose but unfortunately there is often a need to use other valves so it is not possible

Pump end of the hose has nowadays similar bayonet connection and it also sucks pretty much when it unscrews regularly when you try to pump up your kite. Fix for that is to use so much super glue it won't come loose until rapture happens

(Duotone has its own system. Once I had to give up for that when original pump was missing or broken. Even today IDK what the f fits in it except Duotone pump)
Agree with you. The Boston valve is high volume, simple to use, robust, and simple to maintain. There is no need for anything else. In the past I've had kites with other than Boston valves and without exception they have been a pain in the arse.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:13 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Yes, it is a stupid mess. But all you need has been available for ages: a Boston valve. Adapter for Boston is very usual and has a conical shape for a reason - it fits all time every time. When you stick that firmly into the valve it doesn't come loose.
My experience with Boston also hasn’t been flawless.
I have had plenty issues where it just didn’t grip enough at the high end of inflation creating a very frustrating experience because it just keeps popping out.
Also I have had many issues with sand getting beneath the rubber seal on the valve below the screw.
With any of those Boston valves I really need to do a sound/hiss check every time just to make sure it doesn’t leak air.
Admittedly that part could be fixed with a separate deflation valve at the expense of some extra costs and weight.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:31 pm

I like the simplicity of Ozone kite's valves, that I suppose it's the Boston system after Ventum explanation but I also like the Duotone's valves. The system is clever. It opens the valve automatically when the adapter is inserted and closes when it's removed. It also allows for the manometer to register the pressure during the whole pumping process. Duotone's adapter is pretty standard nowadays and come with any pump, even those sold on Decathlon stores (more common in Europe). The worst valve, just because it doesn't come with regular pumps are used by F-One and Core. It's the same used on SUP boards with a lock pin in the middle. The adapter comes with the kite but, if you lose the adapter and can't find someone to lend you, you'll also lose your session. This is why I have modeled the adapter and made it available.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:33 pm

+1 For boston valve.

KISS

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:30 am

Boston valve is heavier than 55108, which cabrinha had from at least 2003. Unfortunately, they switched to bigger valve.

55108 FTW!

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:12 am

Great insight indeed Seb and very informative! Did notice that Ventum is selling the Bravo pump (Where the GRI fits Ventum directly as you mentioned) , is this then already fitted with a custom adapter by you?

Btw just bought a full new quiver of Ventum Xcites and had some issues with the wrong fitting of my hose. Seb stepped in immediately and helped me with a great adapter! Great service. This guy brings some real good knowledge to the kite business, and this is what you see and get back in his products! :thumb: Couldn't be happier!

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:10 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:13 pm
kitexpert wrote:
Yes, it is a stupid mess. But all you need has been available for ages: a Boston valve. Adapter for Boston is very usual and has a conical shape for a reason - it fits all time every time. When you stick that firmly into the valve it doesn't come loose.
My experience with Boston also hasn’t been flawless.
I have had plenty issues where it just didn’t grip enough at the high end of inflation creating a very frustrating experience because it just keeps popping out.
Also I have had many issues with sand getting beneath the rubber seal on the valve below the screw.
With any of those Boston valves I really need to do a sound/hiss check every time just to make sure it doesn’t leak air.
Admittedly that part could be fixed with a separate deflation valve at the expense of some extra costs and weight.
Just push it in harder. Using sand paper for adapter can increase friction

Seals are same for Boston and new valve type but Boston cap has threads so it can be tightened more. However main sealing of the valve is not in the cap so this advantage is theoretical. New caps work also well and are a bit faster to use.

Ventum
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Slufter/Maasvlakte - Netherlands
Gear: Kites - Ventum Xcite & Xplore
Boards - Joyrider & Karma
Bar - Tough Bar
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Ventum Kiteboarding

Postby Ventum » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:34 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:12 am
Great insight indeed Seb and very informative! Did notice that Ventum is selling the Bravo pump (Where the GRI fits Ventum directly as you mentioned) , is this then already fitted with a custom adapter by you?

Btw just bought a full new quiver of Ventum Xcites and had some issues with the wrong fitting of my hose. Seb stepped in immediately and helped me with a great adapter! Great service. This guy brings some real good knowledge to the kite business, and this is what you see and get back in his products! :thumb: Couldn't be happier!
Thanks, yes at Ventum I sell Bravo for multiple reasons (I dont like the tall pumps, dont like the stiff hose....but maybe more important....I can buy lower quantity). They already have a 3D printed adapter to fit with the Valve on the Ventum kites. Hilarious detail.... the Bravo pumps I recieved do not have the have the expected "direct connect" end but came with a Boston connect piece :lol: So last moment I needed to change one side of the adapter which is the one you have ;-)
These users thanked the author Ventum for the post:
Kitemenn (Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

vulkhan
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 80 Kg
Local Beach: France :
-Gruissan
-Le Jai
Style: Freeride/beginner
Gear: Looking to buy my kites (supermodel, pivot, eleveight rs?) in 12,9,7m
Reedin Dreamstick V2 bar
Manera Eclipse harness M
F-one Trax Carbon 2021 137*42
Been thanked: 0

Postby vulkhan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:32 pm

Ventum wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:34 pm
Kitemenn wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:12 am

Thanks, yes at Ventum I sell Bravo for multiple reasons (I dont like the tall pumps, dont like the stiff hose....but maybe more important....I can buy lower quantity). They already have a 3D printed adapter to fit with the Valve on the Ventum kites. Hilarious detail.... the Bravo pumps I recieved do not have the have the expected "direct connect" end but came with a Boston connect piece :lol: So last moment I needed to change one side of the adapter which is the one you have ;-)
Maybe a stupid question but does the ventum pump have a psi gauge? also I plan to buy a quiver of 3 ventum kites and was wondering how the 12m Xplore V2 performs for basic unhooking because I'm a bit worried about the low en of a 12m xcite since I know there hybrid C shaped but when the wind is low I like to unhook
Hope you can help me
Thanks !
Martin

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:42 pm

Return to “Kitesurfing”