Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The "why does my pump hose not fit the inflate" explained.

Forum for kitesurfers
Ventum
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Slufter/Maasvlakte - Netherlands
Gear: Kites - Ventum Xcite & Xplore
Boards - Joyrider & Karma
Bar - Tough Bar
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Ventum Kiteboarding

The "why does my pump hose not fit the inflate" explained.

Postby Ventum » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:03 am

Since the discussion keeps popping up in topics I feel the need to explain a bit about the issue with the "direct connect" inflates.

• Bravo and GRI are the pumps widely used in the kite industry. Both have pumps with adapters, however, the end of the hose (where the adapters fit in) are slightly different! It’s not even a full mm but that’s where all mismatches.

• A few years ago kites had inflates that required one of the adapters delivered with your pumps and many brands used Bravo pumps.

• At some point some brands started using inflates which did not require an adapter at the Bravo pump (Slingshot & Cabrinha), your pump hose fitted directly on those inflates….as a result, GRI did not fit directly on these inflates!

• A new direct connect valve was developed in Sri Lanka which did not use that adapter on the GRI pump anymore but fitted directly with that hose. As a consequence…. The Bravo hose does not fit on that inflate….its all about a few mm, hose goes over the inflate but the 2 pins do not line up with the hose piece. This direct connect inflate is used by North, Eleveigh, Best, Ventum, Switch etc so these brands do not fit well with the Bravo pump (although its doable) and Bravo (in contrary to GRI) has not developed the counterfit adapter for them (made one myself, last picture).

• GRI came up with very good new pumps so brands started using their pumps, and they saw the issue with these “direct connect” inflates at Slingshot & Cabrinha so they made an adapter (55129) to fit also these inflates.

• In China they meanwhile also developed a new OEM inflate fitting again straight on Bravo hose so requiring the adapter on the GRI hose.

Now summing up:
Fitting a Bravo hose on the non fitting inflates (China OEM/Slingshot&Cab) works! Does not fit in an ideal way but still functions.
Fitting a GRI hose with the adapter for China OEM but on the Sri Lanka inflate....you run into problems to get the adapter off the inflate again.
Fitting a GRI hose (without the conversion adapter) on the China OEM inflate without the adapter, it fits but is not tight enough so air escapes at the sides.

Speaking for my own brand Ventum, its currently the Sri Lanka inflate while I stock the Bravo pump (MOQ is more friendly) hence a 3D printed adapter is fitted on the hose to work with it.

Hope this clears up the misunderstanding I sometimes see. Most kite manufacturers dont own expensive molds for inflates and we simply have to deal with 2 hoses that are not the same :roll:

Cheers,
Seb.

Last edited by Ventum on Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author Ventum for the post (total 13):
nixmatters (Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:09 am) • leeuwen (Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:27 am) • Sun (Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:38 am) • Philicious (Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:05 pm) • POACHER (Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:17 pm) • Kitemenn (Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:23 pm) • juergen_90 (Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:13 pm) • airsail (Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:31 pm) • zlatko23 (Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:14 am) • grigorib (Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:19 pm) and 3 more users
Rating: 39.39%

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Re: The "why does my pump hose not fit the inflate" explained.

Postby nixmatters » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:14 am

Great insight Seb!
Will you have all these adapters available for purchase in your online shop?

jannik
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jannik » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:21 am

Thank you for the information. So I'm guessing the hoses them selves are not interchangeable between the two brands?

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:57 pm

Interesting. Thanks!

How can you tell Bravo pumps from GRI pumps?
And which kite brands go well with Bravo and which go with GRI pumps?

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:46 pm

@ventum is this 3D model available anywhere?

I've made an adapter for F-One/Core kites but I don't know if they're for GRI or Bravo pumps.

The model is at thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4887316

Ventum
Medium Poster
Bar - Tough Bar

Postby Ventum » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:08 pm

Topaz wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:57 pm
Interesting. Thanks!

How can you tell Bravo pumps from GRI pumps?
And which kite brands go well with Bravo and which go with GRI pumps?
Easy to see :-)

The BRAVO pumps were used by most brands till 2 years ago and the one used most has the conical cover, the cheaper version has the flat cover. There is typically no built in pressure gauge. This one fits straight onto: Cabrinha, Slingshot and the China OEM direct connect (PLKB, Vantage, TEN etc)

The GRI pump is used today by most brands and typically has the pressure gauge fixed on top of the pump and a manual switch for singe/dual action. These pumps have the stiff hose which can shoot off unless you "counter twist" it before connecting it to the valve.
This one fits straight onto: Ventum, North, Switch, Eleveight, etc)
To fit this one perfectly on the other valve you need to use adapter 55129 which looks logic wise as if its the same as the hose itself....but its not ;-)

Bravo = left, GRI = right
Last edited by Ventum on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Ventum for the post (total 2):
Topaz (Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:20 pm) • juergen_90 (Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:18 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Ventum
Medium Poster
Bar - Tough Bar

Postby Ventum » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:10 pm

rnelias wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:46 pm
@ventum is this 3D model available anywhere?

I've made an adapter for F-One/Core kites but I don't know if they're for GRI or Bravo pumps.

The model is at thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4887316
I dont mind sharing the design. Only trouble is that you may need to adjust slightly depending on 3D print technique used. I made it for standard 3D home printing as well as Nylon SLS.

Ventum
Medium Poster
Bar - Tough Bar

Postby Ventum » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:42 pm

jannik wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:21 am
Thank you for the information. So I'm guessing the hoses them selves are not interchangeable between the two brands?
I did not try but I am quite sure its giving the same issue.

EDIT - tested on the BEST (GRI version) pump and surprisingly the hoses itself seem perfectly interchangeable on that one. There is also versions of GRI pumps with a screw connection between pump-hose, obviously there it wont work.
Last edited by Ventum on Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ventum
Medium Poster
Bar - Tough Bar

Postby Ventum » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:44 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:14 am
Great insight Seb!
Will you have all these adapters available for purchase in your online shop?
No because a SLS printed one is 5 Euro to make.....then add transport, some profit, VAT and transport and people will prefer to pay for a new pump I think ;-)

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:57 pm

Yes, it is a stupid mess. But all you need has been available for ages: a Boston valve. Adapter for Boston is very usual and has a conical shape for a reason - it fits all time every time. When you stick that firmly into the valve it doesn't come loose. Boston valve has big enough diameter for good airflow making inflation just as easy as it can be with modern pumps.

So conclusion is: new valves are unnecessary and worse than good old Boston valve. With Boston there is no need for silly twisting the hose at all.

Ideally Boston adapter should be glued to the hose but unfortunately there is often a need to use other valves so it is not possible

Pump end of the hose has nowadays similar bayonet connection and it also sucks pretty much when it unscrews regularly when you try to pump up your kite. Fix for that is to use so much super glue it won't come loose until rapture happens

(Duotone has its own system. Once I had to give up for that when original pump was missing or broken. Even today IDK what the f fits in it except Duotone pump)
These users thanked the author kitexpert for the post (total 2):
iriejohn (Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:06 pm) • knotwindy (Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:08 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”