Gear: North Reach 8,11,13 2020
North Orbit 9,12 2021
Duotone NEO 6,8,9
North Comp, Charge 2020
Nobile 666 135
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kit to progress to bigger jumps

Postby BE_Kiter » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:51 pm

Look for a flat-water spot so you can focus technique and timing.
Most important on technique: Edge hard upwind with your board
Most important on timing: steer other way, sheet in, steer in.
Learn both directions!

Taraskin
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75
Gear: Nobile 555, RRD religion 8m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Taraskin » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:21 pm

Great tips! Thanks everyone! What does everyone think of the eleveight kites? FS or XS do they sound like options for me? I'm based in Lithuania and there are some very decent places near the seaside which are covered by sand banks and don't have a lot of chop. Certainly easier than the south of england where I have learned and rode a lot.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:03 pm

Taraskin wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:21 pm
Great tips! Thanks everyone! What does everyone think of the eleveight kites? FS or XS do they sound like options for me? I'm based in Lithuania and there are some very decent places near the seaside which are covered by sand banks and don't have a lot of chop. Certainly easier than the south of england where I have learned and rode a lot.
XS is 5-struct like SBs, XRs and Rebels and will make your life easier to boost high with less effort, however, if you want a more versatile kite that will be better in other disciplines, I would consider the RS. RS is medium/high aspect and 3-structs (like Evo's), with large hang time, some speed and drift habilities. FS is more technical to jump (like Dices) as it's more focused on (unhooked) freestyle. If you opt for FS, I'd try on a +1m size to ride a little bit over powered.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:17 pm

Taraskin wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:38 pm
Hello! I'm looking for suggestions for kite and board for me to progress to bigger jumps. I've been kiting on and off since 2010. Recently i've started learning to jump and can now do about 2-3 meters in a decently controlled manner and land nicely. Can do higher but control is lost then..(edit control is lost due to my own lack of skill not the kit obviously). A friend of mine suggested that my kit is not really appropriate for the task at hand. I've got an old 130 nobile 555 and an rrd religion 8m. I am generally of the opinion that a skilled person will be able to jump high with any kite, so learning the intricacies IS the most important thing, but at the same time maybe its good to do that on kit that will not cap my progression and help the learning process. So basically there are two questions:
If you're only venturing into 2-3m jumps, no kite would make much difference to you. Except maybe, helping you to crash harder. It's all about the skill - which is all about time on the water. Go ride. Work on you technique, learn downlooping to stabilise the landing (good luck learning to loop b.t.w. if most of your winds are covered by a sole 8m kite), etc.

With that said, you might definitely benefit from a gear refresher - at least the board. Weren't these 555-s foam-core-ed? Get something in 133-135 range, by Today's standards 130 is on the short side for your weight.

Kite? Sure - if you can swing it.
Taraskin wrote:
What does everyone think of the eleveight kites? FS or XS do they sound like options for me?
Why not RS? They are really nice all-rounders and jump plenty high. At your skill lever, this kind of kite would be more appropriate than anything big-air oriented, but more technical. I've learned this the hard way (Eclipse Thruster - cough - cough...).

And trust me - even at my Today's level of jumping (god-mode from noob's perspective). My 9 and 7 RS-es are making me shit my pants while up in the air - when I hit a gust just right... Hell, even the 12 manages to surprise me in well-powered conditions, and I'm well into 90kg range.

Have some limited experience with Core XR-s, yeah these jump mentally, but they also loop like an old and drunken hog - sorry, doesn't cut it for me.

End of the day, gear doesn't matter - it's all about skill and balls. Got to have the cojones to send it!!!
deniska wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:42 am
then more radical advice - get in to foiling.. once you learn basic strapped riding you can attempt jumps.. you will learn that it's much easier to boost with a foil.. it's all about speed and sending.. literally you can get 3-7meters in no wind, if you get your kite to stay up in the air.. you will learn a lot about apparent wind and edging angles from foiling..
Nice try dude. But the OP really wasn't looking into what to wack of with while there's nothing better to do on the water...
These users thanked the author alexeyga for the post:
andrzej351 (Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Taraskin
Rare Poster

Postby Taraskin » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:55 am

Cheers to everyone for your help!

Taraskin
Rare Poster

Postby Taraskin » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:27 pm

What do you chaps think about the last years (2020) North focus hybrid for jumps? Yay or nay? Looking at 136*41, so a bit bigger than my current board. Probably will be better to shovel water and really edge hard.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:56 am

It's more freestyle oriented. It jumps okay, but I thought it quite stiff in any sort of chop. If you want a board for jumping in the North range, most people (including myself) go Atmos.

Although, Jesse won KOTA on a Focus hybrid, so what do I know.

RaviTheJedi
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Sandy Point State Park, Maryland, USA
Fort Smallwood Park, Maryland, USA
Dewey Beach, Delaware, USA
Assateague State Park, Maryland, USA
Gear: 2020 Switchblade 12m
2020 Orbit 9m
2019 RPM 7m
Cabrinha Control Bar
Slingshot Control Bar

Postby RaviTheJedi » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:17 pm

Sam Light has a good video on technique:

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:45 pm

Taraskin wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:27 pm
What do you chaps think about the last years (2020) North focus hybrid for jumps? Yay or nay? Looking at 136*41, so a bit bigger than my current board. Probably will be better to shovel water and really edge hard.
It's definitely on the large side for your 75kg. I'd be looking into something around 133-135 and no larger than 40. Hell, I'm riding a 135X42 Monk at 92kg and - if anything - I'm not looking into getting anything longer or wider.

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:16 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:17 pm
Taraskin wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:38 pm
Hello! I'm looking for suggestions for kite and board for me to progress to bigger jumps. I've been kiting on and off since 2010. Recently i've started learning to jump and can now do about 2-3 meters in a decently controlled manner and land nicely. Can do higher but control is lost then..(edit control is lost due to my own lack of skill not the kit obviously). A friend of mine suggested that my kit is not really appropriate for the task at hand. I've got an old 130 nobile 555 and an rrd religion 8m. I am generally of the opinion that a skilled person will be able to jump high with any kite, so learning the intricacies IS the most important thing, but at the same time maybe its good to do that on kit that will not cap my progression and help the learning process. So basically there are two questions:
If you're only venturing into 2-3m jumps, no kite would make much difference to you. Except maybe, helping you to crash harder. It's all about the skill - which is all about time on the water. Go ride. Work on you technique, learn downlooping to stabilise the landing (good luck learning to loop b.t.w. if most of your winds are covered by a sole 8m kite), etc.

With that said, you might definitely benefit from a gear refresher - at least the board. Weren't these 555-s foam-core-ed? Get something in 133-135 range, by Today's standards 130 is on the short side for your weight.

Kite? Sure - if you can swing it.
Taraskin wrote:
What does everyone think of the eleveight kites? FS or XS do they sound like options for me?
Why not RS? They are really nice all-rounders and jump plenty high. At your skill lever, this kind of kite would be more appropriate than anything big-air oriented, but more technical. I've learned this the hard way (Eclipse Thruster - cough - cough...).

And trust me - even at my Today's level of jumping (god-mode from noob's perspective). My 9 and 7 RS-es are making me shit my pants while up in the air - when I hit a gust just right... Hell, even the 12 manages to surprise me in well-powered conditions, and I'm well into 90kg range.

Have some limited experience with Core XR-s, yeah these jump mentally, but they also loop like an old and drunken hog - sorry, doesn't cut it for me.

End of the day, gear doesn't matter - it's all about skill and balls. Got to have the cojones to send it!!!
deniska wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:42 am
then more radical advice - get in to foiling.. once you learn basic strapped riding you can attempt jumps.. you will learn that it's much easier to boost with a foil.. it's all about speed and sending.. literally you can get 3-7meters in no wind, if you get your kite to stay up in the air.. you will learn a lot about apparent wind and edging angles from foiling..
Nice try dude. But the OP really wasn't looking into what to wack of with while there's nothing better to do on the water...
RS is a silly good kite for everyone. Its fast enough to give me confidence to start learning aerial loops and fat enough to give me confidence for a floaty landing from a huge jump. It also scares the shit out of me going that high. I've tried and owned a lot of kites over the years and the RS is the best.

Return to “Kitesurfing”