Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GoPro Max - finally windows software available, great!

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

GoPro Max - finally windows software available, great!

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:36 pm

I know the Max cam has been discussed in the GoPro Hero 9 thread, but would make a thread of its own.

Have had the Max for some time now, the camera itself is amazing, but the lack of software and the fact that you have to use hours and hours for converting even short clips (and on a extreme powerful muscle video editor PC) with the GoPro Max Exporter program, and that you lose resolution too - is sooooo bad...
Besides you double the memory used while converting - it was a horrible way to come around the lack of software.

So you had to convert to an MP4 file for hours, and then you could only make a screengrab of the desired photo, but at least you could move it all the way around and zoom in/out etc.

Now, well in fact at since 2020-21 new year, there is a Windows GoPro Player, for free (wouldnt mind paying though, that would be okay) which can play .360 files directly, and you can edit in every way you want, also make lens correction to some extent - really amazing.
And export to different formats if you want to post edit colours or text or similar in you normal video editor.

And you can make video picture grabs without losing resolution :naughty:

Very few, noone I know, uses Mac/Apple computers, so it was really a turnoff with the GoPro Max that you could do almost nothing with your takes - finally it has been offered to the (around our countries here) standard windows platforms :thumb:

I am not going into the PC/Mac debate, just saying it is a great intuitive program (today some call it an app, dont know why...) that works wonders.

Only small thing to note is, there is no manual, meaning no description of keyboard shortcuts or any of the editing features - BUT, so intuitive you can learn, and write a manual yourself.
I really dislike when there is no documentation about how things work, and how many options you got, but on the other hand, I love that it IS possible to edit now, really easy and fast :D

It has been offered for maybe half a year now, I know, but it wasnt untill yesterday I came across this by accident :wink:

Sorry if there are another thread about this very topic - but would share my stoke, and agree with you now Gunnar, the Max is an amazing camera, not as good as a Hero picture quality wise, but for the majority of days, it gives you the highest versatility of getting the "right" shot for everything, your wave, your friends around you, or yourself - no matter it a TT or Waveboard or Wingfoil or Kitefoil or whatever you ride - and you can have your kite in the picture too, in a way you would never believe possible :D

8) Peter

On a 4-5 knot day with a 15 m2 Conceptair Pulsion, Max in the lines at the V:

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Re: GoPro Max - finally windows software available, great !!!

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:49 pm

Have been playing around with the windows app and much prefer the IOS app.

The camera is super fun and allows so many great perspectives.

https://youtube.com/shorts/UZ4UMEtsnyM?feature=share

tomi3000
Medium Poster
Weight: 80 kg
Favorite Beaches: sandy with good parking and no dogs
Style: strapless, freeride
Gear: FS Peak

Postby tomi3000 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:59 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:49 pm

Cool video. What mount for camera do you use for that side, over the shoulder view?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:27 pm

tomi3000 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:59 pm
jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:49 pm

Cool video. What mount for camera do you use for that side, over the shoulder view?
Home built pole. 120cm carbon tube, mount epoxied into top, large steel bolt epoxied into bottom as counter weight, airtight, foam pipe insulation for flotation, flouro tape for viz, hockey tape for grip. Centre of gravity with cam mounted is mid pole, at bottom of foam. Centre of buoyancy is in top half so it floats vertically with cam 30cm above surface and easily visible. Can be picked up on the fly. Nearly entire pole is stitched out of the footage (neon green artifact). That shot has the pole in my harness “samurai” style. Not advisable. Could do damage to ribs in a bad fall. It is challenging to ride with a pole, but it gets amazing floating perspectives with a 360 cam.
97CAD92A-8304-43A7-95BE-A3F5784E6230.jpeg

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Re: GoPro Max - finally windows software available, great!

Postby RedSky » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:34 am

Does this mean we can stop paying the Adobe tax?

Return to “Kitesurfing”