Rare Poster
Gear: North Dice
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Core Sensor 3 chicken loop releasing on it own

Postby spagi » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:44 am

Hi all,
I am trying to figure out if others have a similar issue with me.
I have bought a new Core Sensor 3 bar a couple of months ago. I have been to about 20 sessions since then and I had this issue occurring around 6 times.
Its basically simple to explain. The chicken loop opens up while kiting. It usually happens at the start of the session when I try to water start. I guess thats the first time strong force is applied. It once happened a bit later in the session while doing a transition jump, resulting in freefalling from it.

I have already contacted Core and the advised me to send the bar for a check but after seeing another guy also loosing his chicken loop recently on an Sensor 3 bar while starting, I thought about sharing this.
I am waiting now on Core's response.

Does anyone experience the same?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Re: Core Sensor 3 chicken loop releasing on it own

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:07 pm

Not seen a problem myself. Out of interest - do you usually activate the QR before each session?

Can you replicate it off the water (e.g. tie lines onto tree branch/chin up bar and hang off the chicken loop)? Maybe try bouncing a bit to imitate a shock loading. If you can then you can probably demonstrate the problem to your dealer and get a much quicker resolution as if they can see the problem they can probably work out what is happening (bad manufacturing / fast wearing / etc).

Interested to see if you find a problem and get an official response.

spagi
Rare Poster

Postby spagi » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:19 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:07 pm
Not seen a problem myself. Out of interest - do you usually activate the QR before each session?

Can you replicate it off the water (e.g. tie lines onto tree branch/chin up bar and hang off the chicken loop)? Maybe try bouncing a bit to imitate a shock loading. If you can then you can probably demonstrate the problem to your dealer and get a much quicker resolution as if they can see the problem they can probably work out what is happening (bad manufacturing / fast wearing / etc).

Interested to see if you find a problem and get an official response.
Thanks for the ideas. I have already sent it to Core Service so I dont have the change to try to reproduce. Ofc at home I did try to pull hard on the chicken loop, sideways etc but could not make it open.
Also I in general open up the chicken loop after each session to wash it and then put it back before the session starts.

I will definitely let you know if I have any news from Core.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:27 pm

spagi,

Yep. Was happening to me too while launching the kite - scared the crap outta me. The problem seems to have gone away as the bar breaks in. To prevent the issue in the beginning, I was giving the loop a few good yanks from the center lines to test the lock prior to launching. This seemed to mitigate the issue.

In retrospect, I believe it may have been operator error. When I first got the bar, I don't think I was properly latching the loop into the locking mechanism. As stated above, I double-check it every time now (as we should do with every bar brand) prior to launching.

EDIT 7/1/2021:
The problem happened again yesterday upon launching the kite. I triple-checked it prior to launch and gave it several good yanks. It still popped open on me when the kite hit the zenith. I suppose there's a small chance that I am the problem (perhaps bumping the release upon launch), but I'm losing confidence in this mechanism.
Last edited by SMJ on Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:03 pm

600 euro's and the solution is to give it a few yanks before heading out...that hopefully prevents the CL from opening up unexpectedly....I love it

So worth every cent

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Postby Barryg101 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:38 pm

Amazed people are still buying these bars after the amount of issues seen on this forum!

spagi
Rare Poster

Postby spagi » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:25 pm

Barryg101 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:38 pm
Amazed people are still buying these bars after the amount of issues seen on this forum!
There are issues reported with multiple brands all the time. If people you take them all into account, there would be no one buying any gear.
Its not only that your reply is useless to my question, but you being an Eleveight ambassador or smthn makes you seem even more biased.

This is intended to be informative topic so lets stick to that.

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Postby Barryg101 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:57 pm

Okay then I inform you to try a bar from a brand that doesn’t have as many issues. Get a refund and play it safe.

If you done some research on this forum you would clearly avoid buying a core bar as there are pages of people having issues.

Just trying to help you out and give my advice, no need to upset.

Matty V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made

Postby Matty V » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:36 pm

It’s literally the same people that don’t own core gear chiming increasing the shit storm each time.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:14 pm

I was never able to reset the old (rotating) sensor 2s release on the water..
Perhaps the new one is much easier..
But I finally realized, after a few swims, that the easiest way to get this sorted is to try to keep the kite flying (i.e. land unhooked if needed), grab the CL and hook it using the 2 plastic lines above the swivel.. then ride back to the beach and sort the issue there..
This saved me a few swims.. and it also works with FS bars/kites.. you really want to fly those foils as much as possible and don't dunk them into ocean :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”