Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Beginner Question: How to prevent water in nose during body dragging?

Forum for kitesurfers
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Beginner Question: How to prevent water in nose during body dragging?

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:29 pm

My guess is that you are holding your head at the same position, even when a swell or wave comes. Try body dragging with you head at your usual position, but turn your head back (without changing your kite or body position) when a wave comes so that the water hits the back of your head instead of your face. As soon as the wave hits the back of your head, turn forward again. This may take a bit of practice, but it will help keep water out of you face/nose/eyes.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:32 pm

Lie on the ground with one arm outstretched. Now roll onto your side with the outstretched arm.

That is your body dragging position. Side on to the kite. if you are going left then your left arm is out stretched, If right then right arm is our stretched.
The other arm fly's the kite. Your face is kind of half in the water like a freestyle swimmer taking a breath.

That is the position you should be in to body drag. You can then breath, see and also arch your back and arm to created a rudder type effect and get better upwind technique.
Water will wash over your face from time to time so you have to time the breathing to suit.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Has thanked: 0

Postby sflinux » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:40 pm

Wearing a pfd may get your head a little more out of the water. Try to think of your arm like a hydrofoil to get lift. Keep your abs tightened and legs straight to maintain lift. If your legs and core is limp, you may be plowing water instead. The lower the kite is in the window, the more likely you will plow water. Watch for chop and time your breathing.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:04 pm

Since there were enough on topic replies, I'll allow myself this...

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:15 pm

ok, I think I figured it out ;-)

Did some body drags today and paid attention to it.

Normally I drag with one hand on the bar, and one below me in the water, this way lifting me a bit out of the water, so no water gets close to my nose.

When I used two hands on the bar and looked forward, I got lots of water into my face and nose!

So, let us know if you have two hands on the bar or not...if yes, we know the answer ;-)

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:01 pm

plummet wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:32 pm
Lie on the ground with one arm outstretched. Now roll onto your side with the outstretched arm.

That is your body dragging position. Side on to the kite. if you are going left then your left arm is out stretched, If right then right arm is our stretched.
The other arm fly's the kite. Your face is kind of half in the water like a freestyle swimmer taking a breath.

That is the position you should be in to body drag. You can then breath, see and also arch your back and arm to created a rudder type effect and get better upwind technique.
Water will wash over your face from time to time so you have to time the breathing to suit.
Thank you, Plummet. You basically just typed exactly what I was going to say. The key point that I always emphasize to my students is to RELAX. Let the kite do the work. You should feel the water coming down the point of your outstretched hand and smoothly down your body. If you feel the water hitting you in the chest, you’re angled too much upwind. Keep your head partially in the water (like Plummet said) and try not to stare at the kite. You essentially will be keeping your head in the same position a lap swimmer does when taking a breath. Another pro tip I found once I started teaching? A wide brimmed hat (like the Dakine Nozone or a Shelta hat like I have now) will also help to create a shielded pocket from water hitting your face.

Remember, RELAX and let the kite do the work! Let us know how you make out! 8)

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:27 pm

+1 to Plummet.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:29 am

The obvious answer is practice more. Get good at it. Most of the time you don't really have to do all that lying and arm out stuff. Just leaning in the direction you want to go should be enough. It might not be as efficient as all the lie down, stretch out stuff but it gets you there.

The more important thing is to develop the reflex so that when your face is underwater you automatically breathe out a little. That increases the pressure in your airways and keeps the water out. Only breathe in when your mouth and or nose is clear of the water. This is part of being an aquatic mammal (which you already are). You want to be so comfortable in the water that everything just happens and you sort of flow through stuff.

The other side of this is there will be times when you have hold downs, either through waves pushing you down, or a powered up kite dragging you along. Again, either hold your breath or breathe out generally when under water, then snatch a breath as your face comes clear for an instant. Notionally you can go on all day just getting a breath every 30 seconds or so. That's part of making yourself drown resistant. I'm here in the water. My face is submerged. It'll come out eventually. Puff. Under again. Rule 1 is breathe air not water.

A great way to practice this is really lazy freestyle swimming, preferably with some chop and waves. You don't want to be super strict on style with the perfect head roll and strong stroke. Just slob along in the water and learn to do a bit of a roll of your head, sense the water flowing across your face, feel a bit of a gap in the water, breathe a bit. Mess around with blowing bubbles with your face underwater. It's also fun to take in the odd mouthful of water and squirt it out as you go. Think of a lazy seal lolling about in the water, that's you.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
Onda (Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:26 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:04 pm
Since there were enough on topic replies, I'll allow myself this...
:rollgrin:
KiteSnorkeling will for sure be the next big thing after wing foiling. FOR SURE! :D
But be cautious: This cool new style will only work with the 2022+ models from CORE :kiss:

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:50 am

In the very early days of kiteboarding there was a story about this Brazilian guy who used to kite snorkel. He made his own ram air kites and dived in and charged off doing semi-submerged downwinders. He was a bald skinny guy that went out in Speedos. It all sounded a bit scary.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:31 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”