Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone use the JMG Wind-Kite Surfing app on their Garmin watch?

Forum for kitesurfers
KitingPolak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot KeyHD 2010 10
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Boardriding Maui Cloud 1st Gen 17
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Liquid Force Solo v2 2016 6.5
RRD Obsession Mk9 2017 12
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Liquid Force Fish w/Foil Fish
Dakine Pyro Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Anyone use the JMG Wind-Kite Surfing app on their Garmin watch?

Postby KitingPolak » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:10 am

mass898 wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:43 am
hello, just bought the garmin fenix 6. Will test the JMG app in parallel with the surfr app. There is not much review or forum discussions on this app but it has been downloaded 25k times. So it is popular. Will let you know in a week or so, when i tested it.
I'm very interested in your feedback. I have been using surfr but I just see the hight as a notification on my watch... if the Garmin app works well It might be worth the cost of not having to drag my phone, since I do not get reception in some of the places I kiteboard anyway.

Alpa3094
Rare Poster
Gear: North Evo 11m 2018
Been thanked: 0

Postby Alpa3094 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:44 am

mass898 wrote:
KitingPolak wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:00 pm
Hi Guys,
Anyone use this Garmin app https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/36d0 ... 789b8e39cf for jump tracking? If so I'm curious about which watch you used it with and what your experience is/was. I saw some mentions of it in the "2019 Watches" post but it was for older versions.

I've been looking for an alternative way to get an estimate of jump height but don't want a Woo/PIQ so looking for alternatives. It's either get a compatible Garmin watch for this app or use the Surfr app with a cell phone. I don't really like the idea of mounting my phone on my board(s) because that's not an optimal place to put a jump tracker - it should be on the upper body or harness for the least amount of vertical influence from waves or "woosting" cheats. Plus I have multiple boards.

If Surfr worked with the phone around my neck then I'd be OK with that but not sure if the app works that way. If this app Garmin app works then I'd buy one of their watches since I need a new fitness tracker smartwatch anyway.
hello, just bought the garmin fenix 6. Will test the JMG app in parallel with the surfr app. There is not much review or forum discussions on this app but it has been downloaded 25k times. So it is popular. Will let you know in a week or so, when i tested it.
Hi . What about your test finally? Is the jump measurements pretty accurate ??

vol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa Spain, Prassonisi Rhodes, Brazil Taiba-Cumbucu-Paracuru
Style: hydrofoil, bigair, freestyle
Gear: Saul Custom Boards

Postby vol » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:59 pm

I have this JMG app
terrible...

mass898
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Bredene
Favorite Beaches: Oesterdam
Style: freeride
Gear: Duotone rebel 6-9m
Evo SLS 11m
Lieuwe Shotgun 138x41
Epic Oxygen 135x47

Postby mass898 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:36 am

Alpa3094 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:44 am
mass898 wrote:
KitingPolak wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:00 pm
Hi Guys,
Anyone use this Garmin app https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/36d0 ... 789b8e39cf for jump tracking? If so I'm curious about which watch you used it with and what your experience is/was. I saw some mentions of it in the "2019 Watches" post but it was for older versions.

I've been looking for an alternative way to get an estimate of jump height but don't want a Woo/PIQ so looking for alternatives. It's either get a compatible Garmin watch for this app or use the Surfr app with a cell phone. I don't really like the idea of mounting my phone on my board(s) because that's not an optimal place to put a jump tracker - it should be on the upper body or harness for the least amount of vertical influence from waves or "woosting" cheats. Plus I have multiple boards.

If Surfr worked with the phone around my neck then I'd be OK with that but not sure if the app works that way. If this app Garmin app works then I'd buy one of their watches since I need a new fitness tracker smartwatch anyway.
Hi . What about your test finally? Is the jump measurements pretty accurate ??
Yes the jump measurement was pretty accurate. But the value of the app is not there IMO. It is super useful to track your session, calories etc and for sharing it to strava. Jump data is not easily readable after the session. Actually I use surfr for the jumps, it has that social side (i.e. showing off) that is missing in the JMG app. After each jump there is a notification on the watch thanks to the smartphone connection. Super cool and it pushes me to jump higher. So no i am using both :D

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot KeyHD 2010 10
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Boardriding Maui Cloud 1st Gen 17
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Liquid Force Solo v2 2016 6.5
RRD Obsession Mk9 2017 12
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Liquid Force Fish w/Foil Fish
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:45 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been using the Surfr app also. Didn't really care about the social aspect but it's actually been beneficial in letting me know when the wind is rideable and people are hitting the local spot. I purchased a WearOS watch for it (Samsung Galaxy Watch 4) but the battery life was terrible. Luckily because the app sends the jump height as a notification most watches can be used. I really like the instant feedback even if my jumps suck. Peace and all the best (riding) for 2022!

Return to “Kitesurfing”