Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Favorite Beaches: Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Gear: Cabrinha FX
Refraction
Brand Affiliation: None

Shoulder injury - PRP Treatment

Postby mitchell898 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:43 pm

I wanted to share my experience with shoulder bursitis/tendonitis and how i've treated it.

Last fall my left shoulder started aching during every kite session, migrating into my bicep and making it very uncomfortable to kite. As a 22 year old in good shape I didn't think too much of it and figured it would just heal with time. Typically the pain would subside just in time for another session and come back about half an hour in. Once the season was over, it got to rest for about 3 months. In January I had a week of kiting on vacation and it came back about 5 days in. Same thing happened this spring. I was diagnosed by a doctor and physio therapist, they said likely bursitis caused by weak rotator cuff and surounding muscles. I work out shoulders regularly but I found out this does not preclude you from shoulder problems, you have to target the small muscle groups that kiting uses. I had no interest in a cortisone shot since you can worsen the injury without knowing and it can weaken tendons.

I was recommended Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) by a friend and found a post on Seabreeze i think. I got four injections all around the shoulder (one session) and was told to rest for 3 weeks. I ended up kiting about 2 weeks later and haven't had any issues since (it's been over a month). I haven't gone easy on it and I usually kite about 3 times a week. I've also started doing rotator cuff exercises daily but I don't think it's been long enough for that to really help. As far as I know PRP can be used pretty much anywhere on the body and it's very safe as it's your own plasma just localized to the injured area.

In conclusion, I'm stoked out of my mind because i've made a full recovery and barely missed any kiting AND it was all natural. If you're prone to this kind of thing, 100% do it.
These users thanked the author mitchell898 for the post (total 2):
Toby (Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:55 pm) • airsail (Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:47 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Re: Shoulder injury - PRP Treatment

Postby irwe » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:37 am

You have age on your side so almost anything will work. Once your triple your age you need to be doing more injury prevention.

For example: Near Infared Light, Blood Flow Restriction Therapy, Yoga, Stretching, Specific Weight Bearing exercises.

Start now to enjoy later :)

Attachments
theresa-ian-35th-final.jpg

HurlyBurly
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride TT, Foiling, Strapless
Gear: Shinn Bronq, Shinn Monk, LF Galaxy with SS Space Skate foil, North Whip, Naish Pivots, Naish Boxer, OR Flite
Has thanked: 0

Re: Shoulder injury - PRP Treatment

Postby HurlyBurly » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:36 pm

Indeed its super important to target the small muscles around the shoulder, rotator cuff area. Last summer on a long 3 day drive my shoulder started aching "out of nowhere". No fall, crash, or heavy awkward lifting was the culprit. Had to hit the ibuprofen a lot for 3 weeks just to dull the pain enough to sleep. It calmed down for a few months, then resurfaced, this time with some occasional "clicking" when I'd reach for things. Finally got MRI. Torn posterior labrum. Cause? Unknown. Likely years of use and abuse (kite, ski, rugby, mountain biking), it was probably compromised, and eventually gave out. Physical therapy has been all about freeing it up and increasing range of motion, and exercises that target the small muscles in the area. It's taking a long time. In my mid 50s and very fit...but docs discourage surgery for it because apparently once over 40 or so it is likely a second surgery will be needed to fix issues that arise from the first surgery. So, yeah, be proactive about shoulder care while young.

Return to “Kitesurfing”