Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

how hard for orbit

Forum for kitesurfers
TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro
Brand Affiliation: None

how hard for orbit

Postby TheJoe » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:48 am

So is anyone pumping the Orbit harder than recommended? Had the kite a few months but the last 2 days I can say I was really powered up on in it. Have a 9m and weigh in at 185. Kite was buckling under load in when sending it in 35mph winds. I pumped it to 8.5 today thinking that might help. It might be me sending it from too low and deep in the window. Oddly enough never happened when throwing some big kiteloops only when trying to get to the moon.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly mostly

Re: how hard for orbit

Postby Faxie » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:44 am

TheJoe wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:48 am
So is anyone pumping the Orbit harder than recommended? Had the kite a few months but the last 2 days I can say I was really powered up on in it. Have a 9m and weigh in at 185. Kite was buckling under load in when sending it in 35mph winds. I pumped it to 8.5 today thinking that might help. It might be me sending it from too low and deep in the window. Oddly enough never happened when throwing some big kiteloops only when trying to get to the moon.
If it buckles at the tips, you could try to increase the bar pressure a bit.
These users thanked the author Faxie for the post:
TheJoe (Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:35 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding, Moses Hydrofoil, Mystic, Indiana SUP

Postby gmb13 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:09 am

I found that pumping the Orbits to the recommend pressure worked better than overpumping the kite. I got more pop and hangtime out of the kite. Using the higher bar presures setting on the tip should help with the tip folding.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020/21 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:00 pm

TheJoe wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:48 am
Yes. If you're riding overpowered, especially as a heavier rider, you really need to pump them solid or you'll get that folding on takeoff or general high gust edging. The more overpowered you are, the more you need to pump to stop it. If you're not riding overpowered, you don't need to pump them more than the recommended. As Gunnar mentioned, make sure you're using the hard setting as well.

For reference, in gusting 40+ wind, I'm pumping my 9m to probably 11-12psi at 95-100kg. I still get folding in 50kn gusts, but then I've usually swapped to the 8m anyway (and similarly pumped the shit out of it).
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:35 pm

Thanks guys. I have been thinking about trying the higher bar pressure setting. I have a feeling that I am killing my power a lot of the time by edging too hard. I was actually testing theory by just riding fast and sending it with out feeling a lot of bar pressure. I am a bit strong from lifting heavy weights. Sadly I am back home and it is our off season to try different settings.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:31 am

Pump it firm, use the firm steering setting, and don't sheet right out then right in hard and fast when you send it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”