dimo79
Rare Poster
Weight: 70
Style: Freeride
Gear: Eleveight, Nomad
Brand Affiliation: None

Cracked skin under toes

Postby dimo79 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:55 pm

Apologies for the unusual visual but you know… I figured it is the easiest with a photo. The only thing I am doing different this year is riding a strapless board with pads. Never had this before and it started becoming painful where it starts hurting from the salt water mid-session. Before I go see a dermatologist I wanted to see if anyone experienced this before and how you healed it. The rest of the skin on my feet looks just fine so I don’t think it’s athletes foot. Thanks in advance.
95E88BA3-1C56-4A82-8881-7397BF0DBD48.jpeg

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Re: Cracked skin under toes

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:13 pm

Yikes, never experienced or seen anything similar, and I ride strapless surfboard with pads regularly. Seems you are somehow dragging that big toe across the pads?

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby justbob » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:51 pm

I get that on my heel every summer from wearing flip flops. Vaseline petroleum jelly. You gotta moisturize dude!

dimo79
Rare Poster

Postby dimo79 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:06 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:13 pm
Yikes, never experienced or seen anything similar, and I ride strapless surfboard with pads regularly. Seems you are somehow dragging that big toe across the pads?
Not sure how I can drag my toe to cause it but maybe the continuous micro vibrations are having a similar effect. It's on both toes.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:59 pm

Booties.
Booties.
Booties.
Pumice - diy or get a pedicure. Have to reduce excess skin thickness.
Hygiene, pumice and moisturize until cracks gone.
Don’t let cracks go on a long time, they may not go away if you do and can/will give infections.
I get cracks on my heels, always need working over periodically. Bit of a pain.
Booties are cool.
Sitting out with hurt feet ain’t.
Booties are especially cool on a vacation week to a place with rocks, urchins, etc.
No good to risk sitting on an expensive beach watching your miney burn with a hurt foot.
But I wear them 95% of time now for grip, padding and foot protection. My feet are holding up better as a result.

br44
Medium Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:37 pm

Research “superglue for skin” - for example Dermabond, or https://newskinproducts.com/products/ne ... id-bandage

If your cracks are pretty much sealed then even regular superglue may work well.

Zen_Rider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Tenby, Fresh West & Newgale
Style: Versatile
Gear: DT Dice 7 / 9 / 11
CF Raptor Extreme
DT Whip 5"2

Postby Zen_Rider » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:47 am

I get a similar issue every summer, I cut off the dead skin and then, use something called Scholl 'Cracked Heal Repair Cream' before bed and it sorts it out in a few days. I actually found its not caused by kiting, but more from wearing flipflops for an extended period of time and my feet drying out from the fresh air / lack of sweaty shoes :/

(P.S. Thanks for the picture, that went well with my breakfast cornflakes)

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:59 pm

If you are aggressively riding a strapless surfboard with a traction pad, you may want to check your stance. Hope you figure it out and heal quickly.

dimo79
Rare Poster

Postby dimo79 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:40 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:59 pm
If you are aggressively riding a strapless surfboard with a traction pad, you may want to check your stance. Hope you figure it out and heal quickly.
I am far from having the ability to aggressively ride as I recently started riding a directional board. 15 sessions total thus far, yet to consistently perform a gybe. That being said, I do seem to cause quite a bit of friction during my tack practice (haven’t been able to complete one) and that certainly did not help the cracks.

dimo79
Rare Poster

Postby dimo79 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:45 pm

Zen_Rider wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:47 am
I get a similar issue every summer, I cut off the dead skin and then, use something called Scholl 'Cracked Heal Repair Cream' before bed and it sorts it out in a few days. I actually found its not caused by kiting, but more from wearing flipflops for an extended period of time and my feet drying out from the fresh air / lack of sweaty shoes :/
(P.S. Thanks for the picture, that went well with my breakfast cornflakes)
I have been in a warm climate since the beginning of the year, mostly barefoot and barely ever in a shoe. I feel like the root cause of the cracks is that and the pads and friction on the directional board just made it worse. I think my feet, along with the rest of my body, is still trying to adjust after spending years sitting by a computer :)

That cream doesn’t seem to be available where I am but I started a Vaseline routine. Fingers crossed for a quick heal. I shall follow up with a picture in a couple of weeks with baby toes, ready for appreciation as you enjoy some ice cream.

Return to “Kitesurfing”