Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: mangroovy
Style: lawnmower
Gear: 8 and 11 sblade.14.5 flite
Brand Affiliation: none
Been thanked: 0

Pre and post kiting nutrition

Postby windeze » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:53 pm

Several times now after a kite session, which for me is 1 to 2 hours on a tt i have become quite shaky and cold ,normally about 3 or four hours after kiting.
Hot bath and an early night fix it but does anyone else get this.?
Could it be dehydration? or just because im getting old? Im 59. i put quite a bit into my sessions.
Normally mix a huel drink or similar and drink pre and post kiting. Also plenty of nuts and a cereal bar or two.
Any suggestions on prevention or cure gratefully accepted.
nick

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pre and post kiting nutrition

Postby StellaBlu » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:22 pm

Generally speaking those symptoms could be from any combination of hydration + calories + electrolytes. That being said, it sounds like you are doing all those things before your session and 1-2 hours isn't that long be depleted. Sounds obvious but are you under-dressed? Can you have a warm drink or warm broth afterwards?

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:27 pm

post session here in Brazil we usually eat frozen "açai". A natural purple pulp extracted from a cocoa tipical from the northest/north part of the country. It's delicious and amazing to recover all calories lost during the session.

Dehydration is really an issue. As we get older (I'm 45), we loose water faster and do not notice while riding. Some folks have a flotation vest with camel back for larger session but, in my case, I usually try to push as much liquid as I can before starting my sessions.

Rob112
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hove
Lancing
Shoreham
Worthing
Goring
Gear: Pivot
Asylum
Mixer

Postby Rob112 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:09 pm

I mix up a large bottle with electrolytes, a fast absorbing carbohydrate (waxy maize starch, vitargo) and a scoop of BCAAs. Providing already hydrated (I drink a lot of water), I sip whilst on the way to the beach and setting up l kite and down the rest when I get in. In a really long session, might come in for a pit stop and drink a bit more.

Bananas and water are probably equally effective, but have all the other bits for gym.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:23 pm

Echoing what's been said, I find temp to be a major influence. If I'm a bit dehydrated or fasted or tired, I'm usually alright as long as I stay warm. Any of those factors can make me less resilient, but temp is one of the bigger deciding factors of how I come away from it. Getting cold is a HUGE energy draw for me.

It's pretty warm here now and yesterday I made the mistake of wearing a long sleeved rashie over my shortie instead of a 1 or 2mm neo top. The evaporative cooling took loads more energy than if I was smart and had put on the neoprene. That cold wet fabric wicked away so much energy. Its so much easier to strain or induce friction with cold tight muscles. A different top would have had me toasty, loose and much happier to play hard and wipe out. As it was, eventually I just didn't want to crash, which of course tempers the session. Still a bit chilled today and certainly tighter than I should be.

As I get older and especially for foiling, I wear my warmer suits longer into the season.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:49 pm

You may want to have your blood sugar checked to make sure you are not hypoglycemic/diabetic. I am hypoglycemic and carry a protein bar (one with some calories, but not much sugar) in case my blood sugar drops. I also keep well hydrated before, during and after a session mentioned in previous posts as that can affect your blood sugar level. On a few occasions after a long session I almost passed out after coming in. I avoid anything sugary (empty calories) as it will raise my blood sugar and then it drops quite a bit. When it drops, look out as I get hangry (hungry and angry)...; :D
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
windeze (Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:04 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:15 pm

I'm a little older,I start the day with a large coffee with a sausage,egg and cheese sandwich on a bulky roll,at lunch break a roast beef sub sandwich and 1 or 2 beers.On the ride home my wife drives and i drink beer and eat some sort of chips or cheddar popcorn. Works for me,still charging hard ! :thumb:

headintheclouds
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 75kg
Style: Freeride/Freestyle/Foil
Gear: Naish Dash/Boxer. Cab Moto/Contra
North Focous, Naish Traverse, Alaia
Has thanked: 0

Postby headintheclouds » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:40 pm

Hydration is a big factor for me, i allways have at least half a liter just bevore going Out and than again after the Session. Often even more. In between Sessions i find a Banana or chocolate Bar quite helpfull.
As mentioned above temperature is also a big factor, during Winter my Sessions last around 1 1/2 hours and for the rest of the day im quite exhaustet while in Summer my Sessions can last way longer and i dont feel that tired afterwards.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:49 pm

Water before, pizza and beer afterwards.

On long 4+ hour downwinders, water is a must. CamelBak or similar are great. Energy/Protein bars good to carry as well.

Agree that you may want to get blood sugar checked, to be 100% safe.

adriatic
Has thanked: 0

Postby adriatic » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:07 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:15 pm
I'm a little older,I start the day with a large coffee with a sausage,egg and cheese sandwich on a bulky roll,at lunch break a roast beef sub sandwich and 1 or 2 beers.On the ride home my wife drives and i drink beer and eat some sort of chips or cheddar popcorn. Works for me,still charging hard ! :thumb:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”