Forum for kitesurfers
pvb
Rare Poster
Gear: North, RRD, Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Surf cabin

Postby pvb » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:00 pm

Hello,

I have built a surf cabin for storage of gear. I am looking for inspiration for the internal layout. Dimensions are 4 m x 8 m (13’ x 26’) with a vaulted ceiling (4 m in the center 3 m on the sides). Gear to be stored: Kites, kiteboards, Foil boards, SUP, wetsuits, PFDs, dive gear etc.

I am thinking boards vertically on one wall. A long pole for hangers at the end and then a wall of open cabinets and hooks for hanging i.e. kite bags. At the bottom of the cabinets I am thinking a bench with storage bins on wheels below.

If anyone has any ideas or has links/pictures that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Surf cabin

Postby tautologies » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:26 pm

Nice.

Some ideas with no pics.
Stacked hanging boards. I've used a few different approaches, but it depends on the boards. I like them horizontal to avoid chafing on the rails and tail.
Hooks for hanging kites, and gear.
Wet corner for drying wetsuit etc. If you have a chance, hot outdoor shower.

pvb
Rare Poster
Gear: North, RRD, Naish

Postby pvb » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:50 pm

Thanks Tautologies!! Outdoor shower: check

I am surprised there is not more input. Must be lots of experience out there with storage. So if you have something please chime in.

Thanks in advance, Peter

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:06 pm

Hang the kites in such a way no rodents can get to them ;)

StellaBlu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:12 pm

I set up a gear shed this spring and opted to finish with plywood walls and drill sturdy hooks in to hang most of my gear. I wound up moving the hook spacing around several times before I got it right, so definitely spend the time to think it through. The alternative is to use a wall track mounted system like Fasttrack, Gladiator, K-Wall or Versatrack which will allow you some additional flexibility. THe annoying thing about most of those systems is that you have to buy them in "packs" and sometimes you can't buy exactly the hooks or attachments you want without getting a bunch of other crap.

I opted for vertical surfboard storage using a TRAX mount. Also used a TRAX mount to hang bikes by the wheel against the wall to free up floor space. You can definitely replicate the TRAX products to save some money, but they are very high quality, sturdy and saved me a bit of time.

I put in a lot of ULine Wire shelving as well, which I find to be a great product for this kind of use.

Foil boards (wing and kite) are super awkward and I haven't found a good way to store these assembled without taking up a tremendous amount of space. They fit fine in my surfboard rack if I disassemble them - but thats also a hassle. If you have foil equipment, spend time to think it through (maybe hanging from the ceiling?) because it takes up a lot of space otherwise.

Corners are also a bit awkward to fill if you are using both of the joining walls for storage, so think them through.

knyfe
Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:57 am

Foil boards: I hang mine upside down from the ceiling. It just happens that there are some studs which support everything naturally. Hangs above the “fun” car out of the way.

nherbold
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Buck Island, Long Bay East, Nanny Cay, Anegada, all in the British Virgin Islands
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Scheveningen, Holland
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Hape Hatteras, North Carolina
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...next ONKiteboarding?
Has thanked: 0

Postby nherbold » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:14 am

IF it's close to the beach and subject to the salt air, do what you can to protect the gear (and the cabin construction itself?) from that too.
Then the basic protections from sun, security and bugs with plenty of ventilation if gear is going to be stored in there wet or even damp.
And a space to rinse is also a big plus.

happytrees
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 80
Gear: custom

Postby happytrees » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:16 am

:D Old surf rack trick = Broom handles or the like. Just drill handle hole and glue in a slab of wood.
Havn't tried it but will be building soon in my surf shed :D
Attachments
wood_garage_surf_rack__70554.1460743157.jpg

ieism
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby ieism » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:31 am

I don't have a surf shed, but I'm redoing my van at the moment and have moved from wood to 8020 aluminium. Although I used to be a carpenter, I don't ahve a large woodworkshop anymore, and 8020 is just more flexible and easier to freestyle and add on things when needed. I think it would work very well for storage and you can move it around as needed. Also woodprices are insane right now, and 8020 can be found pretty cheap on amazon.

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:31 pm

No kites when I built this but longboards from ropes on the top and plywood out of the walls was very effective.
FFA185A4-079F-46A0-8178-0F3427999CB4.jpeg
465AA5C6-294B-4C0D-8A24-AEEF9EFB0616.jpeg
58B0DB61-4BD3-4C7C-99AC-200F5E5B93E5.jpeg

Return to “Kitesurfing”