Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Risk of a knot v risk of knot removal

Postby edt » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:31 am

bridle lines are usually 3mm. 3mm lines have a one ton breaking strength. Knot those all you like! flying lines have as little as 270k breaking strength. Please do not knot them good grief.

artificialname
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 100kg
Local Beach: Toronto
Gear: Cabrinha crossbow 11metre, 2012
Ozone Edge 17m, 2015
Pansh Genesis 8m
Bar - HQ4 / Airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby artificialname » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:16 am

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I used needle nose pliers. It was easy and quick, a few minutes. No noticeable line damage!

I’m very happy and very surprised- this knot felt harder than cement, really rock hard.

Thanks random internet strangers, you’re all the best!

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:03 am

I'm surprised nobody mentioned that tapping the knot in every direction with a hammer or chewing it in your mouth is very effective to loosen it.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:09 am

sarc wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:03 am
I'm surprised nobody mentioned that tapping the knot in every direction with a hammer or chewing it in your mouth is very effective to loosen it.
The second post in this thread said hammer the knot.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:10 am

artificialname wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:16 am

I used needle nose pliers. It was easy and quick, a few minutes. No noticeable line damage!
My almost absolute never use things for knots are pliers, and pushing pins through the knot. Obviously there can be exceptions but as a general rule never. The risk of damaging the fibre is massive. The benefit is small.

The main problem is that if you only have a grip on a small part of the knot then the pliers will slip off and tear the fibres. Pushing a needle through has the same effect. The point slides between the fibres and can tear.

When undoing a knot there are three techniques you can use:

- Compression. Compress the fibres to make space in the loops of the knot. You do this by squeezing, gently tapping with a mallet or hammer, chewing, or even squeezing with pliers. The key here is gentle. Don't crush, bash or mutilate. Position the knot edgewise on a clean firm surface. Give it a bit of tap, tap, tap. You should be able to see it squash flat.

- Lubrication. Moisten the fibres so they slide on each other. Saliva, water, a little soap is fine. Arguably lubrication could come before compression because moist fibres will compress more easily.

- Push the loops. All knots are formed by a loop around the line. You push the loop gently to open it out and eventually undo the knot. Pulling the loop is generally futile if you haven't done the basic loosening to start with. It takes a bit of iteration and experimentation to identify the loop that is going to move.

I generally work each knot in a sequence. Do all the things above. Push on the loops. Identify a bit of movement then work on that.

Once you've done all the above and loosened the loops you can think about using pliers or a needle to open things up. I've never needed more than my (short) fingernails.

Removing a knot is a no-brainer. There is no such thing as a knot that cannot be undone. It's not that hard. People just think it's difficult because they haven't learned how to do it. Kite lines aren't even that thin. My record is splicing 0.8mm paraglider line.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
BenS (Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:48 am

Just re reinforce that you definitely should remove a knot out of a flying line (unless intentional placed in leader lines, pigtails etc)

All my tests on dyneema lines show a 60-70% reduction in strength, regardless of the line thickness. So a 300kg line only has 100kg left when there is a simple overhand knot in it!
A few damaged fibres from undoing the knot will only reduce the strength by 10-20% and you really need to do messy job undoing the knot to damage it beyond that. Most of the time you can undo it without damage at all.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:51 am

Just take your time, all knots finally come apart without damage.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:35 am

OzBungy wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:10 am
... pushing pins through the knot. Obviously there can be exceptions but as a general rule never. The risk of damaging the fibre is massive. The benefit is small.

The main problem is ...... The point slides between the fibres and can tear.
Agree, some skill is required to spike a knot without damaging fibers, and you need the right tool. However, done properly, fibers aren't damaged and it's far faster than loosening the knot by compression.

Like I said, it's a long-lost skill.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:00 am

I remove any knot i see.

My technics is just Mouth humidity , teeth and fingers. So, no tools but patience by alterning wetting-squeezing with teeth, Moving with fingers- wetting- ect....
Last week I removed a knot on the front Line of a ... 15 years old bar....(15 minutes)
3 weeks ago i removed another on a 0.8 mm diametre Line....(15 minutes)

Just need patience
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
iriejohn (Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:00 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”