Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Breeze 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Home made pigtail set

Postby andylc » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:26 pm

Could anyone comment on whether these should be strong enough for regular use? Made out of Flysurfer yellow bridle line which I can’t find info on the tensile strength of. Need to convert a standard bar - line set to use with F-one kite so need to replace the normal pigtails with 4 loops. Was going to attach to the kite with the properly spliced end.
Thanks in advance!
Andrew
Last edited by andylc on Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Re: Home made pigtail set

Postby edt » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:32 pm

yes I think so. Just calculate that you lose 50% strength on a knot and make sure it's doubled there. i have a video on how I make them. I think I've made 30 or 40 pigtails and they have never broken. I've snapped plenty of regular kitelines usually on a crashed kiteloop so I put plenty of stress on my kites.

You should be ok because you are doubling the lines which doubles the strength then you are knotting it which on a plain line reduces strength by around 50% but because you have doubled line where the knot is, it will be less (not as sharp turns on the knot), so I think you'll be a bit overstrength. I always splice and then knot the spliced line as in the above video so my pigtails are probably starting out 4x overstrength then go to 2x after the knot.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:42 pm

This is already a sheathed line, the centre is dyneema and has outer of not sure what, the inner line is fairly thin but I think overall strength should be good, I will watch your video though - thanks. I'd be happier if Flysurfer published tensile strength details but can't find them anywhere.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:02 pm

As far as I remember this spare Line from flysurfer has not a very High breakload , something like 200 kg. On top of that on your inner knots , the Line is not doubled and will be the weak point. I think it is ok for light weight rider for free ride, or hydrofoil but i would be more doubtful for big jumps or freestyle on TT with a heavy rider.

If you have pure dyneema rope, at 2 to 2,5 mm diamètre, i think you will gain safety with a high Minimum Breaking Load aroung 400 kg.

Best, If you can, not difficult, is to splice a dyneema loop: solide, not knots, beautiful :-).

Lots of tutorials on youtube.

Or juste à simple splice at each extrémity.

If you are reluctant to splice, look at the " fishman knots" more résistant than your "8 knot".
(i personally do 2 turns instead on one on the picture for each half knot

Since this knot is a way to close a loop , only one knot provides the two loops directly at each extrémity.
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Windigo1
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:17 pm

It should be ok. 1/8 amsteel for example is 2400lbs breaking strength so 1/2 is 1200lbs that still more than most kite lines. Personally I splice them just like the one that come with the control bars it's not really hard once you get the hang of it takes only a few minutes. Then I stich them like the OEM ones. I made dozens I never had a single one go wrong.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:27 pm

Thanks for the replies - not sure I'm going to trust them! Might have to get some Fids and learn to splice...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:03 pm

I make my fids out of whatever I have laying around. for kite line I grab a bicycle spoke cut it off, and then tape the line to that. dont have to wait for an order in the mail to start splicing. Others stuff like guitar wire.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:17 pm

If you use Marlow Ropes D12 MAX 99 2.5mm, it has a minimum breaking load of 1,100kg (average 1,200kg). You can knot that any way you want and not weaken it below safe limits.

You can make secure loops using Brummel splices, videos on the Internet. It's easier if you have a thin rope Fid such as a D-Splicer.

Also get some Marlow Ropes 0.5mm whipping twine so that you can put in a few stitches to be sure that tails can't come loose (make sure that splice tails are tapered). You use medium sewing needles no probs (I nick them from my wife's sewing kit box).

https://www.marlowropes.com/

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Hydrofoil mostly
Gear: Lift 170 Fish & 110 wingsets, 32" strut
Ocean Rodeo & BRM kites
Brand Affiliation: Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Postby GregK » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:48 pm

andylc wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:42 pm
... I'd be happier if Flysurfer published tensile strength details but can't find them anywhere.
Flysurfer publish on their website line plans for the bridles on all of their kites. From there, you can get the line type. Flysurfer use lines made by Liros. If you go to the Liros website, they have specs for their lines, with breaking strength typically given in deca-Newtons, which you will probably want to convert to lbs-force or kilograms.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:01 pm

https://www.bootskram.com/liros-dfl-ser ... -140m.html

You can find all line specs on FS lineplan. They are Liros lines , the numbers (200) are breaking strength in
daN = Kg .
I know this line quite well, and wouldn't trust it for a main line pigtail...only lightwind foiling for a short time and then double the doubled line. If it breaks then often the foilkite rips badly
Edit:
Greg was faster

Return to “Kitesurfing”