Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What new set of kites should I consider?

Forum for kitesurfers
DDC
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Plumb NY
Gear: Cabrihna and north
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

What new set of kites should I consider?

Postby DDC » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:44 am

I am intermediate Kiter looking to replace a set of Switchblade kites I have been using. I like the SB but feel that now that I am a much more experienced Kiter I probably need to get something more specific to what like to do. I am 65KG. I am currently learning how to jump higher and do like to jump (now around 6-7m). I also like to ride waves on my twintip, but wave riding is probably 30% of the riding that i do. I find that the SB is a bit too slow and would like a faster kite.

Based on what i have been reading I thought maybe the Moto or the EVO SLS may be good options. Any thoughts on these two kites? What other kite models should I consider?

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Hydrofoil mostly
Gear: Lift 170 Fish & 110 wingsets, 32" strut
Ocean Rodeo & BRM kites
Brand Affiliation: Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Re: What new set of kites should I consider?

Postby GregK » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:15 am

If you like fast kites I'd suggest you arrange a demo of the Ocean Rodeo Aluula Roams, or an Aluula Flite for your lightest-wind kite.

These kites have extremely wide wind range, so you can get around the added expense of Aluula by needing fewer kites to cover your desired wind range.

danlar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 62kg
Local Beach: Santa Marianita, Ecuador
Favorite Beaches: I have kite in Perou, Bresil, Cabarete, Grenadines, Hatteras and Exuma
Style: freerider, freestyle
Gear: Rebel 9m 2020, Rebel 11m 2020, Juice 15m 2020, CrazyFly Raptor 137/43, Shinn Bronq Luigi 135/41, Jaime SLS 142/43

Postby danlar » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:07 am

ABB61576-3952-4DC0-910B-2237675DBF2B.jpeg
ABB61576-3952-4DC0-910B-2237675DBF2B.jpeg (48.4 KiB) Viewed 525 times

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Crazyfly Raptor 140x42, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:47 am

I dunno how one could "outgrow" the Switchblade, since it's already considered as somewhat Big Air kite. But whatevs, if you don't feel yourself comfortable on it, then it's time to move on.

Considering that you do wave riding and also wanna jump big, seems like you need 3 strut allrounder, like Duotone Evo, Cabrinha Moto, Eleveight RS, Airush Lithium and so on.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:53 am

I don't like to recommend Ozone since it is difficult for me to be objective about those kites, but the Enduro sounds like a perfect kite for you in my opinion.

The only "negative" thing I got to say about the Enduro is that it probably isn't brilliant for heavy riders jumping (which I happen to be), but at 65kg that is hardly an issue.

It's fast, drifts very well for an allround kite and for an intermediate at 65kg you should be able to jump high also. Jumping would be a bit different than with the SB though. The SB is easier to jump with, but you can send an Enduro much faster with the right skills.

Don't know the Moto. A friend of mine got the Evo SLS. He thinks it is a bit too slow, but I haven't tested it myself so I couldn't say how it compares to the SB and Enduro (he knows the Enduro and based on what he says the Evo SLS is definitely slower).

North Reach might be worth considering also? I guess most "big" brands got a kite similar to the Enduro. Not sure with Duotone if it is the Dice that is closest to a kite that can do a bit of everything?
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
DDC (Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:49 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

DDC
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Plumb NY
Gear: Cabrihna and north
Been thanked: 0

Postby DDC » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:53 pm

Kristan wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:47 am
I dunno how one could "outgrow" the Switchblade, since it's already considered as somewhat Big Air kite. But whatevs, if you don't feel yourself comfortable on it, then it's time to move on.

Considering that you do wave riding and also wanna jump big, seems like you need 3 strut allrounder, like Duotone Evo, Cabrinha Moto, Eleveight RS, Airush Lithium and so on.
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven’t outgrown the Switchblade, the kites are just getting a bit worn and I am considering replacing them. I haven’t had the chance to try out the alternatives so I am speculating that they may be a better fit for how I currently kite.

daspi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lynn - Nahant Long Beach, Revere Beach, Dog Beach
Favorite Beaches: the ones I can get to within 10-15 minutes
Gear: Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m, Core Section 8,10,12m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom and Ace twin tip, Plywood LW boards
Surfboards: Tomo Vader, Kiteloose Nirvana, Cabrinha Skillit
Foil: F-One Pocket with Cloud 9 mast and wing, Plywood pocket board

Postby daspi » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:02 pm

Go try as many as you can. Grab your kite buddies kites for a test run. Most are happy to share the stoke of their equipment. Everyone will have an opinion. Only you can tell what fits you current needs.

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020/21 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:16 am

DDC wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven’t outgrown the Switchblade, the kites are just getting a bit worn and I am considering replacing them. I haven’t had the chance to try out the alternatives so I am speculating that they may be a better fit for how I currently kite.
What Kristan and Havre said.

Pivot, Evo, Enduro, Reach, Supermodel, Nexus, Moto

Jumping <----------------------------------------->Wave

(not limited to, just off the top of my head)

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:45 am

Also should be mentioned that the Enduro has a very easily adjustable front bridle so if you want a wave day there is a wave setting. If you want a jump day there is a free ride setting that does actually change the feel more than I expected. Not sure if this helps or confuses more?

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:37 am

Ck. out info on the Cabrinha tour now going through New England/NY with demos available of all they have. I think you could have the same brand and different kites for different wind speeds. I use my 12m for 60% of my riding in NY, use SBlades and drifters depending on conditions bay or ocean.

Return to “Kitesurfing”