Weight: 170
Local Beach: Houston
Style: Big Air
Gear: Rebel, monarch
Brand Affiliation: None

Naish Pivot vs North Orbit

Postby TimG » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:42 pm

Hey guys,

I’m looking at replacing my 9m 2018 rebel with a new kite. I’m getting into aerial powered kite loops as well as pregressing in my big air tricks. So I would like a kite that can do both well, and have narrowed it down to the Pivot or the Orbit for those reasons. I am a (relatively) light weight rider at 170 lbs (77 kg). I also have a 10m rally that I can use for wind up to 22 knots. So I am looking for a good big air, looping kite for 22+ knots.

What would be the consensus on which kite I should get?

From what I have read, it seems the orbit will go higher, have longer hang time, will not loop as well, has low bar pressure, and needs to be more powered than the pivot. The pivot will not go as high, will have less hang time, will loop well, has medium bar pressure, and has a good low end while it’s high end suffers a bit.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Naish Pivot vs North Orbit

Postby edt » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:39 pm

The 2020 rebel is pretty good. I wasn't impressed with the 2018 rebel but they made some improvements last year. Better loops. I would choose the pivot over the orbit but both are fine. You have a good understanding of the kites now the only way to choose is fly them.

TimG
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 170
Local Beach: Houston
Style: Big Air
Gear: Rebel, monarch

Postby TimG » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:26 pm

edt wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:39 pm
The 2020 rebel is pretty good. I wasn't impressed with the 2018 rebel but they made some improvements last year. Better loops. I would choose the pivot over the orbit but both are fine. You have a good understanding of the kites now the only way to choose is fly them.
Interesting! I may have to give that a try. Do you use it for kite loops?
The problem I have is I dont have access to demo gear so I have to pull the trigger based on what I read, and not on actually trying the gear on the same conditions.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:47 pm

It's worth a trip to find a dealer that lets you demo the kites in my opinion. Nothing sucks worse than buying a kite based on reviews, then 1 year later you realize you were on the wrong kite all along. The Rebel is definitely slower because it's heavier but I felt more comfortable looping the new rebel than the 2018 rebel.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:33 pm

I don't know about the north kites, but pivot works well for me. One of the things I really really like about the pivot is that you can adjust the kite loop while looping. Anything from bleeding the power to tightening it up. The kite still finish the loop. Note that I am not doing megaloops.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:06 am

As edt said, you pretty much know what you're doing. I prefer the Orbits over the Pivots for the lower bar pressure. Makes it easier for lit 1-handed loops. The 5 Strut canopy also works better when being overpowered. However, It also really needs to be flown in the upper half of the range to be fun. The 9m would be fine for you 22+, but it really won't start being fun until 25+. I don't start using the 9m until 30kn.

The 2021 Rebel is quite nice. Loops well with decent power compared to the scary backstally 2018/19 versions. Slightly better low end as well. Rides probably .5m larger than an Orbit of the same size.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:57 am

It might be 2021 when they made the change now that I think about it not 2020 like I said above

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 220
Local Beach: White Rock, BC, Canada
Favorite Beaches: White Rock, BC
Squamish, BC
Nitinaht Lake, BC, Vancouver Island
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Style: Freestyle, Big Air, Foiling
Gear: Kites:
Airush Ultra 7m, 9m, 12m, 14m
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144
Moses T65 Foling Board with a 633W front wing

Postby glfmkg » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:27 pm

TimG wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:42 pm
Hey guys,

I’m looking at replacing my 9m 2018 rebel with a new kite. I’m getting into aerial powered kite loops as well as pregressing in my big air tricks. So I would like a kite that can do both well, and have narrowed it down to the Pivot or the Orbit for those reasons. I am a (relatively) light weight rider at 170 lbs (77 kg). I also have a 10m rally that I can use for wind up to 22 knots. So I am looking for a good big air, looping kite for 22+ knots.

What would be the consensus on which kite I should get?

From what I have read, it seems the orbit will go higher, have longer hang time, will not loop as well, has low bar pressure, and needs to be more powered than the pivot. The pivot will not go as high, will have less hang time, will loop well, has medium bar pressure, and has a good low end while it’s high end suffers a bit.
Two different kites for sure... if you want a kite just for boosting, out of those two I would got for the orbit - the 5 struts would be awesome in powered conditions and it is designed to do just that! boost! I tested a 12m orbit and it was very easy to boost. If you are looking for a kite that can boost very well and do a lot more, then Pivot is the option. I ended up getting a Pivot 12m for that reason, it boost, loop and also drifts very well and the new bridle setting is awesome if you want to go overpowered or foil/surf. I think the Pivot requires a bit more skill to boost than the orbit. The orbit, like the rebel, lift, XRs are easier to boost even when you make mistakes with timing. So you know I ended up buying a 9m Airush Lift and a 14m lift - however my Pivot 12 meets that sweet spot all around boosting kite for the rest of days. I figured at my weight, 220lb, when I'm on my 9m, I'm lit! so may as well go for a kite that is more forgiving than the Pivot. I got the 14m lift as the wind range is so extreme that I can overlap it with the 12m when I want to boost - the lift 14m covers 14knots to 25knots for me, unreal! The 9m lift is insane! I had it on 30knots last week and did not feel overpowered.

Cheers,
G.
These users thanked the author glfmkg for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:15 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”