Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Reedin
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RRD Obsession

Postby mabagheri » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:29 am

I am new to kite surfing and i need to get help. Is RRD OBSESSION 10.5 a good kite for a beginner? What are the pros and cons?

Weight 70 kg
Wind range 16 to 25 knots

nayone22
Rare Poster
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Bournemouth
Gear: wipika, cabrinha, core, flexi, naish, waiman, hadlow, brunotti, etc
Been thanked: 0

Re: RRD Obsession

Postby nayone22 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:49 am

Have that kite & easy to fly
Couple of points to change the depower ability quite significantly which is quite nice and assume that just reduces the power which can be good if you are learning.
Why 10.5 ? had heard that was a sweet spot in sizes and might be but for the winds we have in the UK it's a 9 for me so not found that

only gripe about the kite is that the pigtails are reversed to all my other kites, Cabrinha, Flexi, Core, Slingshot so I had to make a 5 inch leader that reverses the pigtail / knot on the flying / steering lines and stays permanently on the kite

bigl
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wremen Germany
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande Brasil
Style: very old school
Gear: RRD Naish Core
Has thanked: 0

Re: RRD Obsession

Postby bigl » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:04 pm

It depends very much on the model year. Up to 2015 they are very similar to the Cabrinha Switchblade, Rebel, Core XR ....powerful freerider ... easy to use even for beginners .... only the very early models like 2010/2011 where maybe a litte too fast and agressive but this was smoothend out over the years, some even complained the 2015 was much too slow.
2016 and 2017 they became 3-strut kites much faster turning but with a bit more agressive charakter ... very much Deltakites. Still ok für beginners especially the big sizes in Medium and Lowwind conditions.
After that they become more like the Obession Pro ... a real freestylekite ... not very good beginners kite.

I would recomend to go for a RRD Passion instead, you cant go wrong as a beginner with hat. Althogh there were also some significant changes over the years.
If you can find a good MK10(2019) somewere in your area, this sould be a good Model Year to start kiteboarding. (not too slow and with good lowend)

Return to “Kitesurfing”