Diego Gama
Rare Poster
Weight: 95
Style: Big Air/Hydrofoil
Gear: Duotone Dice/Rebel/Evo 2020
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The easiest Big Air kite

Postby Diego Gama » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:23 am

Definetely if your style is big air and you are performing only jumps, check out the 5 structure kites like Core XR and Duotone Rebel. Specially the rebel you dont need almost any technich for jumping and it jumps really high. I only recomend this one if you know how to ride and is trying already some jumps, this kite is sheet the bar and go to the moon. Don't be surprise if in the future you ride a more C type kite and you feel like youre learning again, because for the closest to the C shape kites you need a looooot of technique to jump in the same height as the Rebel for example. Rebel is a extremely good kite for jumping and go upwind and a lot of bar pressure.

Gestalt
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 186lbs
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay - Turks & Caicos
Style: Wave, Freeride, Foil & Big Air
Gear: 8m & 10m OR Aluula Roam
9m XR7
12m Evo Dlab
12m & 15m FS Sonic 4
TT: Boardschmiede 135x40
Foil: North Sonar 1150cm2

Postby Gestalt » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:51 am

Learning Big Air jumping is a lot of proper technique and precise timing. Each kite will have a different timing profile with wind speed being an extra variable.
As an "easy" big air kite for progression you want something that is more forgiving on the timing and ideally a bit slower.

I recently tried a Nexus-11, Evo SLS-10 and North Reach-9. I do not recommend these kites for Big Air learning. I found them to be too fast in the sky, and to quick to get you up and then down. Not great loft. Much harder to get the timing right. When I see experienced riders recommending these kites for jumping big I think they take for granted their skill. And this includes many trainers....

In terms of ease of jumping "big" and having forgiving timing and good hang time, the XR and Pivot are almost equal. I have a Pivot-11 and XR-12. The Pivot is a more fun kite in that it moves a little quicker and can "pivot" rather than turn like a XR. The XR is a bit like a tank in the sky that yanks you up when you send it. I think like said earlier the XR would likely be easier to go a bit higher than the Pivot if you are going for maximum height, but not a great difference. The Pivot has more bar pressure than the XR which I do not like but it is more fun to fly and can drift nicely if you end up in waves. It feels less tanky (being a 3-strut instead of 5-strut) despite the higher bar pressure.

I tried a Ozone Edge-9 and really liked it as well. It was also quite easy to jump big with it. Very smooth, with very direct feedback on steering it was very easy to plot the correct course for the kite when coming down from a jump. In some ways it seemed easier than a Pivot or XR especially when it came to it's predictability. I need to buy a big air kite in a size 8/9 for my next kiteboading trip and honestly can't decide between the Edge and XR.

I have yet to try a Rebel to compare, but as I understand it's very similar to an Edge. I have read the Orbit is a faster kite, and timing is a little more difficult on it to optimize but would also like to try.

Not a fan of the switchblade. Strong bar pressure, and the design sure feels dated compared to everything else out there. Jumping is mediocre compared to the other big air kites.
These users thanked the author Gestalt for the post:
Coloradokiter (Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:13 am)
Rating: 3.03%

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:00 pm

I don’t have much experience on anything but the core XR but I can definitely speak to the big wind range, ability to handle gusts, and big floaty jumps. I think it’s a good beginner kite and big air kite. After 4 years on XR4s I’m moving to Nexus 2s which turn faster and drift better forward surfing and foiling, but they require more technique to jump.

I would definitely suggest you consider buying used XR6s if the cost is too much on the 7s. I’ve always had good luck getting good prices on slightly older kites

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:42 pm

The easiest kites to get big airs on would be the Duotone Rebel and Core XR. They are extremely comparable in terms of performance. For a heavier weight rider, the Rebel has extra bridling support at the wingtips that helps prevent kite frame distortion when riding powered up.

The Ozone Edge is also an easy jumper but more technical and finicky than either the XR or Rebel.

The Pivot requires alot more technical finesse than a Rebel/XR and was never designed to be a Big Air kite. Kevin Langeree has incredible skills that a beginner does not have; without those skills the Pivot does not perform well. If you must insist on a Pivot, you may as well get the Reedin Supermodel which is simply a Pivot with modifications to jump and loop better (same designer). I do not feel these are beginner Big Air kites.

The Open C kites and C kite designs (GTS, Dice, RPMs, Torch, Vegas, etc) are better suited to riders with alot more skill.

The Orbit needs alot of skill to get it to perform and is not a good beginner Big Air kite.

Personally I like carbon fiber boards for heavier riders as it gives the extra stiffness heavier riders require for the board to work well.
These users thanked the author dracop for the post (total 3):
Gestalt (Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:53 pm) • SP2021 (Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:53 pm) • Coloradokiter (Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:13 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Return to “Kitesurfing”