Weight: 90
Style: Into Big Air RN
Gear: RPM
Misfit
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

The easiest Big Air kite

Postby SP2021 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:43 pm

Hi, I'm looking for easy kite to have fun in jumping. Nothing extreme, 15-30knt conditions (no more in my area).
And what sizes do you recommend for 90kg? 10 and 14 or 9 and 12?
I have heard that XR7 is the best choice, but super expensive, is it worth a go? I was thinking about Raptor SS 21, Pivot 21 or Orbit 21 (i can have them around 25% cheaper than XR7).
Important thing is that i am still learning, so i dont want my kite to roll over after crash ( backstalling?).
Thank you for any help. :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: The easiest Big Air kite

Postby Toby » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:32 pm

You have weight, so a 12 in 15 knots is pretty small, specially if you aim at jumping…power is needed!

I advise to go for 14-10.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
SP2021 (Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:47 pm

the big air kites are fun, but beginners will hindenberg them easier when crashing a jump(fly behind you, slack line and fall out of the sky)
That being said, check out Kitemana and the Airush Lift (Airush's big air kite), for whatever reason Kitemana (ships globally) seems to have Airush cheaper than everywhere else.
But if you want a kite a little easier to fly, check out the Airush Session, Core Nexus or North Reach. All great kites, but a little friendlier for beginners and you can still goto the moon.
These users thanked the author elmarco for the post (total 2):
SP2021 (Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:53 pm) • Coloradokiter (Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:28 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:52 pm

10&14 and 9&12 are both good, depends on how powered you like it. There are a number of kites that are boosty and floaty, naish pivot, north orbit, duotone rebel. Haven't flown the core nexus, airush session or north reach.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:09 pm

10-14. I like the Ozone Edges.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:10 pm

I'm not sure if there is a "best choice". I don't think anyone would say that the XR is just that much better than the alternatives.

As for sizes it would depend on the distribution of wind, but I guess you will have more 15 than 30 knots? For most places that is true. If so something like 14m is more fun than 12m. Even if some of these "big air" kites do well in little wind. I was out on a Rebel 13m in 16 knots the other day at 100kg+ (two measurements taken at that spot so you more or less know exactly the wind you are getting).

I agree with elmarco that the more "extreme" so-called "big air kites" will have some challenges for a beginner. Crashing on a Rebel vs. crashing on an Enduro is two very different things. Crashing with the Enduro you basically got to tomahawk it for it to crash - while the Rebel will just drop if the lines go slack. And in low wind relaunching the Rebel is a bit trickier than for example the Enduro. I'm not suggesting you should get the Enduro though - it is not a kite you will easily jump high with - especially when you are on the heavier side.

That is not to say that you should stay away from kites like XR, Rebel, Orbit etc., but something to be aware of. Generally speaking for heavier riders I do recommend 5-struts when wanting to jump so...

So most likely I would go 10-14. Pivot is probably a bit easier to handle. At it might be a slightly better kite to learn with when it comes to other things. These "big air" kites tend to make you a bit "lazy" when it comes to technique. Both in terms of jumping and general handling of the kite. Pros and cons kind of thing. I don't think you will regret it either way really - if you go Pivot or XR/Orbit/Rebel/Edge. All kites with solid reputations.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:40 pm

As far as I know, the friendliest Big Air kite is Cabrinha Switchblade. A lot of kiteschools even teach on them. I found it a bit too grunty for my liking during that process tho.

Although, as for beginner I recommend not to aim for dedicated Big Air kites. You may look into three strut mid to high aspect three strut kites like Eleveight RS, Naish Pivot, Reedin Supermodel, Duotone Evo, Crazyfly Sculp. They don't lose that much on jumping performance, you will have jumps high enough for your level to scratch that itch. You will learn better control without worrying that you will get smeared by extreme grunt of high aspect kite, struggle to relaunch it or lose control. Get some experience and then decide if you need to go further. It's not wise to get yourself on 200+hp sportcar right after you get your license.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:51 pm

I hate the switchblade. All the other big air kites are getting faster and lighter the switchblade still feels like a lead balloon.

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:51 pm

What are your expectations? Big airs are 10m+, something like that. As a beginner you see yourself going that big soon? At least, you will still need proper technique, to go that high, but most I portant, you will need even more technique, to land correctly.
Aiming too high too soon may drives you to. Ad crashes, the one that will make you understand that is not as smooth as it does look in videos, or done by experienced riders.
For for an intermediate kite first, would be my advice. Cabrinha Switchblade is a good choice then.
No need to go for an expensive kite that will endure lots of abuse, you will have plenty of fun with that one

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:11 pm

I'm biased because I have all Pivots now in my USA quiver, and the 2020 10m is an amazing kite for jumping. After all, Kevin Langaree won the KOTA twice on even older Pivots, and the 2020 is a considerable improvement even on those. That said, I demoed a 2020 North Reach 10m last year and it was probably equally good, just a different feel as it has a fixed bridle with no slider, so a little less forgiving. I have not had the opportunity to try any of the other freeride three-strut kites out there, but if the price is right they are probably okay too. I wish I could find more 2020 Pivots for sale, I would get an 8m if I could. Last weekend I was riding at Cape Hatteras on the 10m and an older 2018 9m Pivot and getting huge jumps coming out the end of the slicks, just amazing loft, the kind where you have time to look around at the scenery, and the sweetest smooth landings. Gotta love it (and get a Woo so I really know how high I'm getting!) One of my local kiting buddies who posts regularly here has been out in the Columbia River Gorge and says the kids are ripping big time jumps on their Pivots there.

Return to “Kitesurfing”