Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Compare hangtime North Reach vs. Orbit

Forum for kitesurfers
sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Compare hangtime North Reach vs. Orbit

Postby sarc » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:54 pm

How much hangtime do you tradeoff for gains in versatility if you buy Reach instead of Orbit? A little, a lot? Expert rider, loves everything except freestyle. I don't like to ride very owerpowered. Thanks!

Kerplow
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 64 Kg
Local Beach: EU
Style: Allrounder
Gear: North Reach 13, 11
North Orbit 10, 8, 6
North Focus 136+boots
North Atmos 133
Duotone Team 134
Duotone Whip 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Compare hangtime North Reach vs. Orbit

Postby Kerplow » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:59 pm

Actually I do think Reach has more hangtime than Orbit. I own 11m Reach and 10m Orbit 2021. But these two are very different kites.

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:31 pm

If interested I've got a 7/9/12 quiver of barely used (or unused) Reach kites Im selling. Listed in classifieds.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:49 pm

The Orbit does have more hang time but it is not like it is night and day. As far as performance in the big four foil, freestyle, surf, and big air it is pretty damn good in all of them. The kite is super fast so it is really good for learning kiteloops. The speed all so helps you boost if your aggressive enough with it when you jump.

I have 7/9/12 Reach set with 9 Orbit for going big and looping. If you're looking for a fast all around kite like I was then the Reach is a good choice. Especially if your going to foil with it. The kite is so light it is a joy to foil on with out going full foil specific kite.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:45 pm

sarc wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:54 pm
How much hangtime do you tradeoff for gains in versatility if you buy Reach instead of Orbit? A little, a lot? Expert rider, loves everything except freestyle. I don't like to ride very owerpowered. Thanks!
I don't believe the hangtime difference is really that noticeable below 10m. 10m above it starts separating and becoming a more typical floaty 5 strut. The Orbit likes to be ridden overpowered and isn't great on the lower end of the windrange.

The Reach is far more versatile. Unless you're into airstyle in the bigger sizes (12-14m) or looping, don't bother with the Orbit.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:45 am

Thanks guys! One more question - I have a 2020 Carve 6m and like it very much, but I noticed that if I overload it (mostly rider error: like a messed up jump where I sheet in/out and redirect very quickly while being pulled hard) I can slightly collapse the tips. This only results in the kite jerking - very fast loss of lift and recovery. Pumping harder helps but then the kite does not turn as smoothly (LE too stiff).

No issue really as it only happens if I'm flying the kite wrong, and I still highly recommend the Carve as an excellent kite. But I'm wondering if the 3 strut Reach may have the same thing and the 5 strut Orbit not. Considering that I would use the new kite for more powered moves not for waves like the Carve. Anyone has experience on this? Thanks!

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:05 pm

I'm surprised it doesn't perform well when pumped hard. Usually the big kites you need to have less pressure to make them turn properly. Generally for me the smaller the kite, the bigger the pressure to keep it from deforming.

I haven't ridden a Carve, but both the Reach and the Orbit will have their tips collapse when they're really overloaded, especially on takeoff.
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
sarc (Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:20 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”