Local Beach: Bigfork
Style: None
Gear: 6m XR5 8M Pivot 10M XR5 11M Switchblade 12M Pivot 14M Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite flying poorly after bladder replacement

Postby Walnutssrt » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:37 pm

I have an 8M Pivot that I recently replaced the bladder with an Airtime replacement due to a leaking valve. I finally got to ride it the other day and it just kept flat dropping me when I boosted. It also seemed unstable and kept dropping back into the window and had an incredible amount of bar pressure. To the point that my arms were tired after an hour long session. It was a gusty day but my 10M and my 6M didn't have any similar problem. Does anybody know what could be wrong? There is no visible twist in the bladder that I can see as the leading edge fully inflates.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kite flying poorly after bladder replacement

Postby kjorn » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:39 pm

What popped the bladder in the first place?

Could be canope has stretched, lines or bridle stretched?

Airtime bladders (the orange ones) are a little heavier than normal ones. But I doubt that would account for what you're feeling.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Re: Kite flying poorly after bladder replacement

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:01 pm

Sorry, can't help with this one. I've had Airtime replace the bladder in my 2018 11m Pivot (because I completely screwed up what should have been a simple repair), and apart from an issue with the bladder blowing out at the wingtips, have not noticed a difference in flying characteristics.

Return to “Kitesurfing”