leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite type for gusty weather

Postby leeuwen » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:51 pm

dracop wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:05 pm
Given you identify as an Intermediate, I would prob suggest an Evo SLS. Lightweight, handles lower wind speeds great as well as strong wind, reactive, and a good all arounder for different styles.
An OR Aluula Flite 12m might work for you too.
First the Evo SLS is not lightweight, its just as heavy as kites from other manufacturers.
It is a bit lighter then the regular Evo but that was just an extremely heavy kite.

Secondly the newer materials are stiffer and although this results in a more reactive/direct kite I think this also might create more of a "being yanked around by the gusts" feeling.
So it depends on what you are looking for, the most comfortable or the most performant kite?
Most performance? Aluula/Aluula Hybrid or maybe SLS
Most comfort in gusty conditions? I know a Core XR is extremely comfy through gusts but there are probably similar kites.

To be honest the difference between 10-20 or 15-30 is huge (double the wind speed but 4x the amount of energy) and that’s always going to be an issue. I think getting a hydrofoil might be your best bet eventually, learning is going to suck but it’s probably the easiest way to handle such a large wind speed difference since you only need one power spike to get on the board.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:08 pm

bigl wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:29 pm
Since RRD and Cab share a lot kitedevelopment it is no Probem flying them on your RRD Bar it very similar to the Cabrinha. You only have to change the Ends or add some Pigtails.
Just to clarify, Cabrinha and RRD share 0.000000% of kite or any product development. I'm not sure where this rumor started. If one's control system functions on the other, this was certainly never tested by Cabrinha and is purely happenstance. This isn't to say it won't work, but there is nothing official or unofficial from the Cabrinha side on this.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:12 pm

Madraoulas wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:44 am
Hallo guys, I would like to change my kite (RRD Passion 10.5m 2019, 3 strut kite) and want to buy (same wind range 12-26knts)a new kite for very gusty conditions (10-20knts...or 15-30knts).
Can you please tell me what characteristics I must search for?..I would like an RRD kite but every proposal is welcome

P.S...just riding, no jumps yet ..53years old, 1 year kiter..25 years windsurfer
The Cabrinha Switchblade is legendary in gusty conditions. Most of the time you don't realize that it's that gusty! I'm sure there is a way to try a Switchblade locally. If not, PM me and I will see what I can do to help you.
These users thanked the author Cab Driver for the post:
Madraoulas (Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:07 pm)

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:51 am

As someone put above. I would look at core xr’s considering your age. They are extremely stable being 5 strut rather than three and soak up gusts much more than something like a pivot or 3 strut which will be much more fidgety at the bar in gusty conditions. As long as your bar has four equal lines which yours will have they will fly fine off it. You would really enjoy the xr’s. Would make things a lot easier than the average 3 strut for where you are at. I would see if you could try one.
These users thanked the author Ice101 for the post:
Madraoulas (Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:08 pm)

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:43 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:12 pm
The Cabrinha Switchblade is legendary in gusty conditions. Most of the time you don't realize that it's that gusty! I'm sure there is a way to try a Switchblade locally. If not, PM me and I will see what I can do to help you.
I'd agree with that. Anyone know of any flaws with the Switchblades?

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:54 pm

The SBs are strong grunty kites - if you are concerned about gusts on the strong side, its prob not the best kite as it will throw alot of passive pull your way. In the reverse situation, lighter wind, the SB helps alot. One of the reasons why half the Florida market (light wind) rides SBs. The SBs are far less popular in high wind destinations like Cape Town, Maui, and Hood River. I would suggest a Rebel or XR over an SB as they have huge wind ranges. The SB loops abit better but you are not into that.

The Evo handles strong wind like a champ and can go down really low in terms of minimum wind. The SLS makes it lighter and more reactive, which is an issue in lighter winds for all kites.

The quoted wind range has the issue that its dropping below 14 kts where specialty light wind designs really do help but which you kinda dont want/need in 25 kts.

If possible you should try to demo any of the kites mentioned in gusty conditions to see how you like it in each scenario. Go from there.
These users thanked the author dracop for the post:
Madraoulas (Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:10 pm)

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:27 pm

+1 for Leeuwen, he's spot on!
Also as other mentioned, Rebel or XR is your kite!
These users thanked the author Leon van Bergen for the post:
Madraoulas (Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:10 pm)

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:55 pm

if you are a beginner go with 3 strut wave/hybrid kite like Pivot , advanced 5 strut boosters like XR rebel etc
You need a good instinct to keep a high aspect without Hindenberg in gusty wind and 3 struts will sit deeper but less performance
These users thanked the author sonny2727 for the post:
Madraoulas (Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:11 pm)

bigl
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wremen Germany
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande Brasil
Style: very old school
Gear: RRD Naish Core

Postby bigl » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:47 am

i don´t know where some guys here geht their infos but in my opinion (by owning several of this kites myself and going to testivals every year) i can say the switchblade is really a very good and superstable kite that is powerfup but not "progressive" in high winds like many very delta shape kites (e.g. some Models of the Core XR) that can develop scary powerpeaks in gusty weather. The SB is just very predicable. But is is not the fastes kite out there if you want to do/learn loop or something like this. And of course the high bar pressure is noch really comfy for longer sessions. But for older riders like my who like to go oldschool it is a very nice kite.

I was able to test my new 2020 Orbit 11m in very nasty 15-30kn (windfinder station) yesterday and i can confirm they can handle gusty weather very well too. I rode it on an 2020 LF Bar without touching the adjuster, very nice. Even in high winds stays the Bar Pressure less than medium. I think with my weight (120-130kg) even gusts up to 33-35 kn would have been possible. I had a 10m Switchblade before and i went up 1m to make the difference to my 14m smaller. Surprisingly the 11m Orbit seemed to me even more playful than the smaller SB, although its hard to say if you are not testing ist 1:1 just by memory.

By the way als a repley to one comment above about my RRD and Cabrinha involment post. It is no rumor that NP or better since last year now NP Germany is playing a big role in the distribution and probably also the development and production of all "their" bands even if RRD and Cabrinha are offically independent. They are just much longer around in the watersport industry since windsurfing was big decades ago. Just look at the products and technical features that are introduce mostly by cabrinha and the 1-2 years later are 100% adapted by RRD (and sometimes the other way around ). I doubt the a "smaller" brand like RRD would be able to offer the whole range of equipment plus all accessories for almost all kinds of watersports (even including trapez and Neoprene) without the Help of NP. Not so mention that NP had their own Kite CRX lineup as well, witch magically looked also very much like a Cabrinha Contra.
These users thanked the author bigl for the post:
Madraoulas (Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:14 pm)

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster

Postby gibsonandpickett » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:35 am

A kite with pulleys are normally a lot better in gusty conditions
These users thanked the author gibsonandpickett for the post:
andrzej351 (Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:17 pm)