Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

which aquaseal is the right one?

Postby edt » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:41 pm

Now that aquaseal has been rebranded as "gearaid aquaseal" there are also three or four maybe five different types of aqualseal, there's aquaseal FD there's aquaseal seam repair, aquaseal show repair, maybe some others.

Which is the type you use to restick valves? Thanks. I'm guessing it's aquaseal FD. It says "sold out" on the main gearaid website but shows up on amazon.com from their gear aid store, so I think that's how you're supposed to buy it now.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: which aquaseal is the right one?

Postby Da Yoda » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:35 pm

edt wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:41 pm
Which is the type you use to restick valves? Thanks. I'm guessing it's aquaseal FD. It says "sold out" on the main gearaid website but shows up on amazon.com from their gear aid store, so I think that's how you're supposed to buy it now.
You need the FD version, not the SR (shoe) version.
I've been told to avoid the one with the accelerator as it's too harsh on the bladder material. I'm not sure how true that is, but I'm not going to be the test dummy. :thumb:
These users thanked the author Da Yoda for the post:
edt (Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Herman » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:54 pm

Not had to buy in any new Pu glue recently but I intend to try Seamgrip. If you do a forum search for this you should find some feedback from some that have used it. If memory serves it has a slightly lower viscosity than the FD and has more flex but long cure time.
Last edited by Herman on Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:14 pm

I've used a lot of glues none of them work well for me except for 3m 5200 red and aquaseal. Many of them will actually dissolve the bladder material so be careful. 5200 works and I tend to get about 3 or 4 years for a restick which is fine I think. Aquaseal I think lasts maybe one or two years longer, so if you plan on keeping a kite for 10 years, it's still the best choice. The problem is people post on the forum "such and such glue is great my valves are all working" but then one year later all the valves fall off. This makes me incredibly conservative in regards to glue choice.

dericcio2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South of Germany and north east Italy
Style: Freestyle Freeride
Gear: Dice 12
Juice 11
Evo 9
Slick 5
RRD bliss LTD
Curve and Fluid foil

Postby dericcio2 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:56 am

the only difference between fd and shoe is that shoe is harder (better use the more flexible).
better to use accellerator because aquaseal react with dampf in the air. maximal gluing length is around 5mm from border .(it happens sometimes that due to dry weather, too much glue, too less curing time before applying two surfaces that the glue remains wet in the middle
These users thanked the author dericcio2 for the post:
edt (Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:25 pm

In dry weather I leave a damp rag adjacent to this type of Pu glue repair. Not done any comparative testing but the logic seems ok to me.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Has thanked: 0

Postby sflinux » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:38 pm

I was nervous about using the Gearaid branded aquaseal FD (longtime user of the original formula), but after using it I actually prefer it to the original. :thumb:
In between repairs, clean the threads of the cap, place cap on, wrap tape around the cap, place the tube in ziplock bag, inside an airtight container, inside another airtight container. I used to store it in a freezer, but no longer have access to a non-food freezer. A couple decades of kiting, never had an aquaseal glued valve failure. One tube usually enough to repair 1-2 kites, much cheaper than airtime replacement valves, and works better imo.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:16 pm

What was the difference between "Aquasure" and "Aquaseal"?

They co-existed, and both worked fine, but I never found out if a copycat or different properties?

8) Peter

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:22 pm

Aquasure (I think like aquaseal there are now several varieties) was designed for neoprene wetsuit repair. I wouldn't use it for kite valves and go for aquaseal instead. I've only used aquasure for wetsuit repair but after trying it I like aquaseal better for both kite valves and for wetsuit repair. Seems stickier and more flexible. There's some neoprene glues that chemically melt the neoprene to make a bond don't use that for kites as they also will melt your bladder and cause wrinkles.

supachip1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast uk

Postby supachip1 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:23 am

edt wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:14 pm
I've used a lot of glues none of them work well for me except for 3m 5200 red and aquaseal. Many of them will actually dissolve the bladder material so be careful. 5200 works and I tend to get about 3 or 4 years for a restick which is fine I think. Aquaseal I think lasts maybe one or two years longer, so if you plan on keeping a kite for 10 years, it's still the best choice. The problem is people post on the forum "such and such glue is great my valves are all working" but then one year later all the valves fall off. This makes me incredibly conservative in regards to glue choice.
you use this for sticking valves?
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 12.22.18.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 12.22.18.png (51.13 KiB) Viewed 2566 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”