Local Beach: dolymounth
Favorite Beaches: porthmarnock
Style: beginner
Gear: rrd
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite damage

Postby zamo27 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:16 pm

Recently I am noticing more and more damage building on my
Cabrihnas. The black wing tips are almost grey and the canopy looks like it’s been scrunched up almost scratched everywhere
I fold my kite and put it away in its bag as best I can, seldom crash it and rarely gets wet.
This is a 2018 switchblade which in total must have been used about 30 times so far and bought from new
Are kites self destructive or what am I doing wrong

supachip1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: south coast uk

Re: Kite damage

Postby supachip1 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:10 am

how your weather? i'm in the tropics and the UV from the sun destroys the kit. colours fade, rubber & plastic perishes.

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:33 am

I have a 10m SB, same year, similar usage. If you post a pic I’ll let you know if it’s comparable to mine or not. Mine isn’t wearing badly but the wingtips are a bit faded.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:18 am

I had my much loved 2017 North Rebel self-destruct in the same way. I've used Rebels for 15 years+ and they used to be indestructible.
Canopy and leading edge / strut strength is in the coating. They must have switched to a new coating that decays quickly. (and also no internal sleeve in the leading edge/structs: it added weight but was very strong).

I recoated all my old kites with Shoe Goo diluted with paint thinner. As strong as new now, they fly great. Do a search on my past posts on Shoe Goo.

Return to “Kitesurfing”