Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Local Beach: Toronto
Gear: Wainman and Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

WH Gypsy strut replacement? Sticky tape issue

Postby hbseventyfour » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:48 pm

Hi, Just joined but I'm a long-time reader.
I bought my first kite - 2010/2011 Wainman Hawaii Gypsy 7m Rabbit to practice kite control. Anyone remember these? :)

Unfortunately it was leaking at the strut valve. I have 2 choices:
1. replace the strut bladder - can't find it anywhere in North America (ideally in Canada). Do you know where I can find one?
2. replace the valve - problem is that someone already tried to fix it and used a patch on top of it. I took it off but the residual sticky tape is next to impossible to get rid of it and the bladder constantly sticks to it.

Any tips? I tried goo done, alcohol, boiling water and after few hours, I gave up.

I don't mind playing with it to learn maintenance (but would welcome tips on getting rid of the sticky tape) but buying a new strut might be a better option.

Did anyone used a generic strut bladder from Airtime? I measured mine and it's 60 inches and they carry it. Any other generic or perhaps WH brand?

I am attaching a pic after taking the valve off and you can see that I tried to unsuccessfully get rid of the glue.

Thanks in advance!!!
Attachments
rabbit_7mm_small_strut_valve.jpg
gypsy_rabbit_7mm_small_strut_valve.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”