Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Bad news, prices are going up

Postby SolarSet » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:33 am

LePhasme wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:17 am
Zen_Rider wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:27 pm
Kite companies would probably save a load of money if they didn't insist on having a whole line up of new gear every year. Lets face it, its mostly minor tweaks and colour / graphic changes at this stage.
I introduce you to Core, renewing their line up every couple of year and also the most expensive brand.
This isn’t true, their prices are same as other companies but it’s better to repeat misinformation that check RPP prices by yourselves?

Zen_Rider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Tenby, Freshwater West & Newgale
Style: Big air, Freestyle, Wave
Gear: DT Dice 7 / 9 / 11
CF Raptor Extreme
DT Whip 5"2

Postby Zen_Rider » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:57 am

LePhasme wrote:
I introduce you to Core, renewing their line up every couple of year and also the most expensive brand.
I wasn't actually aware established any kite brand did this yet, but then I only really look at new kites every 4-5 years when I'm ready to upgrade. Of course a companies savings on not doing a new model every year may or may not be passed on to consumers. Core do a shit ton of marketing and comp representation that must eat a chunk of budget, + I think they always went for the premium product business model...
ieism wrote: Some small to medium size snowboard brands are starting to buck this trend. Instead of bringing a new colour and selling old stock at discount every year they are keeping models for a few years. It's more sustainable and I think this is the way forward. As retailers we are very happy with this trend.
(with very little insight in how the biz actually works) I feel it would take some pressure off shops to try and sell this years gear, before September when next years gear comes out... Also imagine some people delay purchases to see if they want next years gear or wait to get a discount of the current kit...

Added bonus for the kite companies would be they can time the release a new line up of gear into a marketing vacuum and create much more buzz. Currently every brand is shouting about their new kit at the same time and the biggest spenders are the only ones heard.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:57 pm

ieism wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:25 am
Zen_Rider wrote:
Kite companies would probably save a load of money if they didn't insist on having a whole line up of new gear every year. Lets face it, its mostly minor tweaks and colour / graphic changes at this stage.
Some small to medium size snowboard brands are starting to buck this trend. Instead of bringing a new colour and selling old stock at discount every year they are keeping models for a few years. It's more sustainable and I think this is the way forward. As retailers we are very happy with this trend.

I can tell you for a fact that most snowboard models don't change year to year besides colours, and I bet its the same with many kiteboard and even kites. It's ridiculous to bring new models every year with so little progression.
Yup, a new market model! And they are hoping this makes them more money by supporting the failing supply chain. How nice of them (sarcasm).

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:03 pm

Zen_Rider wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:57 am
Core do a shit ton of marketing and comp representation that must eat a chunk of budget, + I think they always went for the premium product business model...
The old Core was very much focused on image and hype. To be fair, some decent products came out of that by either design or happy accident. But the old Core sold the brand.

The new Core seems to push less of the "d----- baggery" and hype. Maybe I'd even consider buying a new one now.

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:43 pm

As prices rise the incentive to undercut by cutting costs will increase. Brand sponsored riders on a salary are probably going to be the first thing to get cut. I think it is very questionable if sponsored riders increase sales.

LePhasme
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 74
Local Beach: City Beach (Perth, Au)
Favorite Beaches: Shoalwater
Augusta
Nickolson point
Style: Big air
Gear: Duotone rebel (7, 10, 12)
Cabrinha ace 135x40

Postby LePhasme » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:36 am

SolarSet wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:33 am
LePhasme wrote:
Zen_Rider wrote:
This isn’t true, their prices are same as other companies but it’s better to repeat misinformation that check RPP prices by yourselves?
Yeah too bad but I checked, core xr6 10m is 2500 new without discount, XR 7 is 2550, duotone rebel 2021 10m is 2200 ( all is in AUD)

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:40 pm

Does anyone know what the approximate mark up shops put on kites (before taxes). I am guessing it must be 30% +

romainlp
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Brittany, Fr
Favorite Beaches: Sugars Beach - Aus
Style: Freeride - Old School
Gear: Core Xr5 9m and 12m
North Neo 6m
Lieuwe Shotgun 136

Postby romainlp » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:35 pm

LePhasme wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:36 am
SolarSet wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:33 am
LePhasme wrote:

Yeah too bad but I checked, core xr6 10m is 2500 new without discount, XR 7 is 2550, duotone rebel 2021 10m is 2200 ( all is in AUD)
I guess it depends of the country / currency. Here in the Netherlands, the Core is 30 euros more expensive. 1709 euros / 1679 euros. Both are just too expensive in my opinion 😀
These users thanked the author romainlp for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:41 pm

here in Brazil, any kite is super-expensive due to currency exchange, however, Duotone and Core are about 10% more expensive than other brands like F-One, Cabrinha or Elev8.

The most present brand is Duotone. You'll find Duotone dealers in any city that has kitesurf activity in Brazil.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:50 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:04 pm
Zen_Rider wrote:
"But this year's model will be a game changer!"........said every kite company about almost every new model of kite they make.

It takes a bit of gullibility to support and justify modern advertising.
Thanks to capitalism (that I'm in favor with some consciousness), "the show must go on" or "the wheel should keep rolling"

People like this short 1-year "life cycle" even if there's nothing actually different in the kite's design.

For some folks it's kind of a status have the "latest and greatest". Humam psychology is weird...

and companies know and take advantage about it. They save in R&D, since the kite is basically the same, change some colors and charges a little bit more to pump their profit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”