Forum for kitesurfers
droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Bad news, prices are going up

Postby droffats » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:47 am

Start you complaint engines because prices are going up. As a dealer, many manufacturers have told us to expect price increases soon. You probably knew it was coming and also think most stuff is way overpriced as it is and why can't we make it in the USA and there is no way a kite can cost that much to make and that is why you buy used kites and when hell freezes over and Tupac is still alive and ...

We could sell way more kites & gear if prices were 20% less and even more if they were 50% less. The increase in volume would likely well more than make up for the gross revenue loss. So I'm with you. We are powerless to stop it though. What I'm trying to say is, don't wait to buy something in a few months or wait for the next version unless you want to pay more. I'm trying to help here so don't shoot the messenger.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Bad news, prices are going up

Postby tegirinenashi » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:52 am

The sales volume must have dropped a lot. Half of kite foilers at my local spot switched to winging.

However, with kite price increase, people will simply buy Gong.

If the Best Kiteboarding endeavor taught us any lesson, then, some big names are going to go out of business. With crazy fire sale for the remaining inventory.
Last edited by tegirinenashi on Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M

Postby Tony in FL » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:55 am

I agree that it seems a lot of prices have gone up recently. But I think it could be a short lived anomaly. In fact, I think we may see deflationary pressure in the not too distant future. Manufacturing all over the world was slowed or shut down due to Covid, so for many things demand currently outstrips supply, leading to inflationary pressure. Furthermore, due to all the government stimulus i.e. stimulus checks, extended and boosted unemployment benefits, extra tax credits, etc. there is extra money in the system which can help boost demand. So together we have artificially contracted supply and artificially boosted demand - giving manufacturers incentive to raise prices. Eventually manufacturing will bounce back and inventory levels will increase, thus increasing supply. And as all sorts of Covid related stimulus comes to an end people may be more reserved with their purchasing dollars, thus leading to reduced demand. With increased supply and reduced demand, manufacturers may instead be incentivized to drop prices.
Last edited by Tony in FL on Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Tony in FL for the post:
iriejohn (Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:03 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:03 am

Tony in FL wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:55 am
With increased supply and reduced demand, prices for many things may go down.
Only if you are pricing kites by their value in loaves of bread! In the number of your particular country's currency, it will never be this cheap again.

As to stocking up now..... buy a brand and model that has high durability and is easily repaired. Extreme performance gear with a short life span is going to cost you more than just the price difference.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:25 am

droffats wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:47 am

We could sell way more kites & gear if prices were 20% less and even more if they were 50% less. ...
That would be Switch kites. The kites and wingdings are every bit as good as the big brands, the service is excellent, the prices exceedingly reasonable.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:27 am

Good news for people who want to sell older gear and for dealers who stocked up.
Kites are way simpler and smaller now, time to become more modest on profit margins otherwise and/or improve efficiency of operations. My supplier bumped prices up 10% and I can’t afford losing customers and raising prices.

Dimitrios
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Athens
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: Airush union +tt

Postby Dimitrios » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:03 pm

@OzBungy

i checked switch kites website and it seems they are lacking of stock as well, so i wonder when the new kites arrive if their price will increase as well. Despite that it might still be lower than other brands

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:26 pm

grigorib wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:27 am
Good news for people who want to sell older gear and for dealers who stocked up.
Kites are way simpler and smaller now, time to become more modest on profit margins otherwise and/or improve efficiency of operations. My supplier bumped prices up 10% and I can’t afford losing customers and raising prices.
Better stock up! Other Chinese made items are already decreasing in quality while going up in price (in USD) 90%. The world's fiat currency has just been debased more in the last year than in the past 20.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:25 pm

In all my years kiting, the cost hasn’t changed….it still takes all the money I have!
These users thanked the author Dave_5280 for the post:
windrider1 (Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:30 am)
Rating: 3.03%

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:37 pm

Prices are going up?

This can’t be. Prices never go up. Nothing else has gone up in price.
Fake news…

Return to “Kitesurfing”