Gear: Beginner looking for first kite!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Beginner looking to buy first kite

Postby toobcat » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:11 pm

Hi all,

Recent lurker, first time poster here:

Level: Beginner (8 lessons - consistently getting up on board and working on staying upwind)
Rider: 70-72kg / 155-160lbs & tall 6' 2"
Wind Range: 10-15mph average (occasionally 20/25+ mph in shoulder season but I'm mostly looking to kite in the summer on lighter wind days to start)
Location: Coastal New England (Martha's Vineyard) - Flat Water (kiting in bays)
Style: Freeride

I'm currently considering a Cabrinha Contra 13M along with a Stylus 150 as my first kite & board set, with the thinking being that I'd get a smaller kite & smaller board for higher wind days down the line. I'd like to learn on my own in lighter wind days to start as I'm a bit wary of being overpowered.

Do you think this configuration will work? Keen to hear opinions & views!

Thanks in advance!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Beginner looking to buy first kite

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:26 pm

For the light winds you need those sizes for sure.
Don't be worry to be overpowered...you need power to get going.
And with more power things will be much easier. Less sinusing needed with your kite the more power you have.

And once fall hits, you still have time to see which sizes in addition you would need...guess a 9 would be a good addition.

Let us know what you ended up with and how things are processing.

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:33 pm

I kite in your area and know the conditions very well. The typical quiver at your size is 9/12. If you are just looking to maximize days on the water you could add a 14/15m light wind kite or a foil and a 7m kite once you progress further.

If you want to stick with the 13m, My suggestion would be to add a 9 or 10.

Not really your question, but watch the wind very closely because the summer has thermals, so you get more 15 kt days than you might think, as long as you time your session accordingly. Also the tides can add a couple knots in many areas, so a 13kt day can work on a 12m (~15kts apparent). The 12m will get more use than you might think.

mplamplampla
Medium Poster
Gear: Switch 9m

Postby mplamplampla » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:07 pm

I think contra 13 m is a very good choice for your low winds (assuming you are getting the three struts model). Good thing is you will not worry about relaunching at low winds (compared to other 12m kites). But take on account that everything comes at a price. The kite is light and agile but I don't think it can withstand hard and bad use as good as other kites that are heavier. Also for the board I am in for bigger boards but I think the one you are looking for is a dedicated light wind. Especially at your weight I would go to something smaller (like maximum 144).

Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M

Postby Tony in FL » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:47 pm

I am a big Cabrinha fan - have only owned Switchblades and Contras. However, if you are looking for a light wind specific board, instead of a Stylus, I would recommend a Litewave Wing. I started with a Stylus as my light wind board and after demoing the Litewave Wing I wound up buying one and selling my Stylus. I went with the Litewave Carbon Wing 165cm. Also you may want to get yourself a smaller (normal wind) board early on so you have some flexibility.

Return to “Kitesurfing”