Brand Affiliation: CrazyFly
Has thanked: 0

Re: CrazyFly Introduces TerTex

Postby CrazyFly official » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:08 am

nixmatters wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:05 am
CrazyFly official wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:31 am
TerTex is not the same as Duotone Pentex. We use a different supplier from Japan for Ripstop and TerTex. Yes, TerTex is used in all 2022 kites. Faxie got the pricing correct.
Good call! Did Teijin really hang you out to dry with no deliveries for quite some time this year? Well, every one of their customers was affected, but it must really suck when you own your kite production and it's in Europe.

Why not openly say it's Sakai Techfiber? It's made in Japan with raw materials from Teijin's biggest competitor - Toray. And from the tech specs I've seen, it's better than Teijin canopy ripstops.
We do not work with Teijin since we left Asia and started producing kites in our own factory in Europe back in 2017. Regarding the suppliers names, not everything can go public, as competitors are watching too. It is a shame that the best things we do remain hidden. There is plenty of choice of Ripstop and we are glad that we can independently choose the one we think is best for our kites.
In our case, the delay with Ripstop was caused by a shortage of the resin material used for coating of the ripstop. Not the ripstop itself.
These users thanked the author CrazyFly official for the post (total 2):
zlatko23 (Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:58 am) • Faxie (Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:02 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:33 am

CrazyFly official wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:08 am
nixmatters wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:05 am
CrazyFly official wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:31 am
TerTex is not the same as Duotone Pentex. We use a different supplier from Japan for Ripstop and TerTex. Yes, TerTex is used in all 2022 kites. Faxie got the pricing correct.
Good call! Did Teijin really hang you out to dry with no deliveries for quite some time this year? Well, every one of their customers was affected, but it must really suck when you own your kite production and it's in Europe.

Why not openly say it's Sakai Techfiber? It's made in Japan with raw materials from Teijin's biggest competitor - Toray. And from the tech specs I've seen, it's better than Teijin canopy ripstops.
We do not work with Teijin since we left Asia and started producing kites in our own factory in Europe back in 2017. Regarding the suppliers names, not everything can go public, as competitors are watching too. It is a shame that the best things we do remain hidden. There is plenty of choice of Ripstop and we are glad that we can independently choose the one we think is best for our kites.
In our case, the delay with Ripstop was caused by a shortage of the resin material used for coating of the ripstop. Not the ripstop itself.
Oh, so it wasn't only Teijin affected by the shortage?
Come on, even if you make your kites in your own factory, finding out your ripstop and dacron suppliers is not a problem for most of the people in the business. After all, it's not that many suppliers of canopy ripstop:
Teijin is not as you already confirmed
Techfiber - very likely as you state Japan
HOYU - why not? Their 3x with the new coating looks really good
Challenge - could be
Chang Ho - I strongly doubt
Contender - expensive and they don't have 3x yet. Unless you consider the advantage of avoiding long and expensive ocean freight. And almost 100% Made in Europe kite! ;)

And I don't even work for one of your competitors.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:36 pm

Cheoz0r86 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:12 pm
Seen other premium brand kites (pricier) getting pinholes with 50% less use compare to my kites and they are not even a year old. Hope crazyfly keep it this way as tbh don't care if I don't have the lightest kite or the fastest kite as long as it holds up great overtime
I'm with ya! I've owned the least durable canopy material (for absolute sure) and what I belive to be well above average canopy material.

And I really don't care about weight either. I want a kite that lasts.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:04 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:36 pm
Cheoz0r86 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:12 pm
Seen other premium brand kites (pricier) getting pinholes with 50% less use compare to my kites and they are not even a year old. Hope crazyfly keep it this way as tbh don't care if I don't have the lightest kite or the fastest kite as long as it holds up great overtime
I'm with ya! I've owned the least durable canopy material (for absolute sure) and what I belive to be well above average canopy material.

And I really don't care about weight either. I want a kite that lasts.
Couldn't agree more...so maybe don't focus on the brands that are focussing on lightweight. Brands like Ventum/Fluid etc from NL are doing a great job. Very sustainable kites, no lightweight nonsense for kites that would not need it but focus on durability! Also no every year new kites but low prices giving you real value for money!

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:35 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:04 pm
Couldn't agree more...so maybe don't focus on the brands that are focussing on lightweight. Brands like Ventum/Fluid etc from NL are doing a great job. Very sustainable kites, no lightweight nonsense for kites that would not need it but focus on durability! Also no every year new kites but low prices giving you real value for money!
Seems to me that the lightweight thing is more about marketing - at least from what I am seeing of Aluula average riders vs standard construction average riders. I was hoping to see some more Aluula kites on the snow this year competing with foil kites. That would have maybe changed my perception as to their value.

Still, OR is a great company in a sea of "iffy" ones. I can't really blame them for pursuing new materials. And one day I'd like to see some even longer lasting canopy fabric come out of this experiment. My dream is to have a "most used size" that lasts 5 to 6 seasons of hard use and is still ocean worthy.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:48 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:35 pm
My dream is to have a "most used size" that lasts 5 to 6 seasons of hard use and is still ocean worthy.
Don't we all :wink: plus for a nice price too...but tbh this is not in the interest of the BIG kite companies.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:03 pm

Kitemenn wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:48 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:35 pm
My dream is to have a "most used size" that lasts 5 to 6 seasons of hard use and is still ocean worthy.
Don't we all :wink: plus for a nice price too...but tbh this is not in the interest of the BIG kite companies.
Yeah, it'd probably collapse the industry.

Cheoz0r86
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 80-75
Local Beach: North down peninsula in Northern Ireland
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2022 11m core XR7, 2022 9m XR7. 137*41 2020 CF raptor
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Cheoz0r86 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:20 pm

Few shots of my fresh 2022 12m sculp featuring tertex, feels like a mix of dacron and ripstop, but translucent as ripstop. Super thin struts can't wait for some wind to fly it
Attachments
20210828_202748.jpg
20210828_202723.jpg
20210828_202729.jpg
20210828_202738.jpg
20210828_202818.jpg
20210828_202825.jpg
20210828_202831.jpg
20210828_203001.jpg
These users thanked the author Cheoz0r86 for the post:
Faxie (Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:34 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:04 pm

I like my Crazyfly boards. I almost bought a 2020 12m Hyper, but didn’t pull the trigger due to the weight. Weight is an issue at some locations where the wind is variable. I would fly a 12 in 20 to 30 knots, but with lulls down to 10. I don’t want a kite that falls out of the sky during lulls, so for some of us weight is a big deal.

It is also hard to find much info and reviews on the Hyper compared to other big air kites. Plenty of info about Rebel, Edge, XR7, Orbit, etc. I am curious about how the kite feels, is it nimble with lighter bar pressure or feel heavy? Does it have a lot of range, especially upper range? Is it difficult to maximize jump height or have a wide sweet spot?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Faxie » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:29 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:04 pm
I like my Crazyfly boards. I almost bought a 2020 12m Hyper, but didn’t pull the trigger due to the weight. Weight is an issue at some locations where the wind is variable. I would fly a 12 in 20 to 30 knots, but with lulls down to 10. I don’t want a kite that falls out of the sky during lulls, so for some of us weight is a big deal.

It is also hard to find much info and reviews on the Hyper compared to other big air kites. Plenty of info about Rebel, Edge, XR7, Orbit, etc. I am curious about how the kite feels, is it nimble with lighter bar pressure or feel heavy? Does it have a lot of range, especially upper range? Is it difficult to maximize jump height or have a wide sweet spot?
2020 Hyper was 4,5 kg, but the 2021 went down to 4 kg, and now the 2022 3,7 kg if I'm not mistaken, so they lost a lot of weight.

My 2020 Hyper has no problems with 12 knots (haven't flown lower than that) Barpressure is not light, more medium/high depending on how powered you are of course. It's a pretty direct kite, but does require some input for faster turns. Range is large though if you want upper range it's better to take a size smaller because it's pretty powerfull for it's size. I can manage the 9 in 35 knots without pulling the strap, but thats near my limit.

Sweetspot is not superwide, need some technique, but wide enough imo. I'm not the highest jumper (17.4) but pretty constant most of the times.

The feel of the 2019/2020 Hyper is similar to a V9 Edge (haven't flown V10)

Return to “Kitesurfing”