Style: Beginner but aiming at freeride
Gear: Don't know yet.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

KSP Phantom and Select for beginner

Postby mapo » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:31 am

Hi all

New member here.

I am a beginning kitesurfer and am soon going to purchase my first kites, board, bar etc. I have been looking into some of the cheaper brands that delivers straight to the customer such as Gong, Ventrum etc. and have stumbled upon KSP kites which I think looks quite interesting. It is nearly impossible finding any reviews of the kites online so I am hoping that some of you guys on this forum have tried the KSP kites and can share your opinion on them as well as the company? :)

First of all, I am looking at something beginner friendly but still with the possibility to develop past the novice phase. It would probably also be good if the kites has some durability due to me probably crashing it some in the beginning. I weigh 65 kg and expect to kite primarily in light to medium wind conditions in the beginning with a TT board. Further down the line I want to learn how to jump.

So, to those of you who have tried out the KSP kites, what is your opinion on them? I think the Phantom model looks fairly beginner friendly but the Select model is also interesting as it is described as a kite with good pop but is it too hard to learn on for a beginner? What would be the pros and cons for each model? What would be the difference in a 2 strut model and a 5 strut model and does my weight mean anything in that context (I imagine the more weight, the more does the number of struts mean?)? Do they break easily or are they able to survive a beginner crashing them? How about the company - how is customer service? How is their reputation in general? Am really hoping that some of you knows these models and can help enlighten me.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Re: KSP Phantom and Select for beginner

Postby Breze » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:55 am

https://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/acti ... /page/345/.
I would look for an used allround- freeride 3 strud model of one of the mainstream brands.
These users thanked the author Breze for the post:
mapo (Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:00 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:53 pm

With Ventum Explore you surely can't go wrong. Premium durable materials (unlike some mainstream brands) and a very good shape for a beginner/intermediate kiter. Check the Instagram posts of some of their riders.
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:

Kau pi kite tarifa
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Sal and Holland
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa!
Style: Wave and hooked jumps
Gear: Zian kites
Brand Affiliation: Kiteschool owner using zian kites.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Kau pi kite tarifa » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:20 pm

Plus 1 for the ventum kites. I've used their open c kite for rentals in my school and for my own riding. And they hold up really really well. Just ordered a bunch of their xplore kites for teaching as well.
These users thanked the author Kau pi kite tarifa for the post:

mapo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 65 kg
Local Beach: Aarhus

Postby mapo » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:01 pm

Thanks guys - I will take an extra look at the Ventrum Xplore which also looks really nice, and the founder seems to have a very good reputation when I google the brand!

mplamplampla
Medium Poster
Gear: Switch 9m

Postby mplamplampla » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:56 pm

One more vote for the ventum explore.
These users thanked the author mplamplampla for the post:
mapo (Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:42 pm)

rw30
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 95
Favorite Beaches: Barra Grande, CapeVerde, FuerteV, Hel, Lady's Lake
Style: general freeride
Gear: Elev8 RS v7 14/10/8, SS SentryBar / SwitchController 5x, Best Spin TT 139cm / Duotone ProWhip 5'5''

Postby rw30 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:15 pm

also, check switchkites - the reviews (you'll find plenty even at this forum) are mixed, but mostly positive. I was using their kites in the past, still have one of their models (Element 6 14M) and it has really improved since older generations (I was riding Element 4 before) and the new bar (C5X) is very good too. Price - wise they hard too beat, although not sure if you'd have any extra fees (Aarhus in in Denmark, amIrite ? ) on packages from HongKong, check it before you order.

KSP, if I remember correctly, is small Italian company, so while I cannot give you opinion on these, I'd be happy to see ppl buying stuff from such companies : )
on the specifics of the kite - if kite mentions 'good pop', then it's rather meant to be used for freestyle tricks, which means it's most probably not the most beginner friendly one.
Struts number - not so much impacted by your weight, but it impacts how 'stable' the kite (in gusty winds I mean) is & how much the kite weighs itself. Anyway, not first thing for you to check, what you should be aiming for is freeride kite, or, in other words, you should be looking for something with 'freeride / all-in-one / beginner friendly' words in its description. And don't be bothered by beginner-friendly thing: unless you really specialize in some riding style, these are the best kites even if you are experienced rider & if you won't damage them soon, you won't need to change for newer in good couple years.
These users thanked the author rw30 for the post:
mapo (Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:27 pm)

mapo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 65 kg
Local Beach: Aarhus

Postby mapo » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:29 pm

rw30 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:15 pm
also, check switchkites - the reviews (you'll find plenty even at this forum) are mixed, but mostly positive. I was using their kites in the past, still have one of their models (Element 6 14M) and it has really improved since older generations (I was riding Element 4 before) and the new bar (C5X) is very good too. Price - wise they hard too beat, although not sure if you'd have any extra fees (Aarhus in in Denmark, amIrite ? ) on packages from HongKong, check it before you order.

KSP, if I remember correctly, is small Italian company, so while I cannot give you opinion on these, I'd be happy to see ppl buying stuff from such companies : )
on the specifics of the kite - if kite mentions 'good pop', then it's rather meant to be used for freestyle tricks, which means it's most probably not the most beginner friendly one.
Struts number - not so much impacted by your weight, but it impacts how 'stable' the kite (in gusty winds I mean) is & how much the kite weighs itself. Anyway, not first thing for you to check, what you should be aiming for is freeride kite, or, in other words, you should be looking for something with 'freeride / all-in-one / beginner friendly' words in its description. And don't be bothered by beginner-friendly thing: unless you really specialize in some riding style, these are the best kites even if you are experienced rider & if you won't damage them soon, you won't need to change for newer in good couple years.
Thanks for clarifying a few things for me. This is a whole new world and many things to learn! Aarhus is actually in Denmark :)

I did look at switchkites but I am worried I will be handed a heavy VAT if I buy from them :(

davedej
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zandvoort, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Table view Capetown
Canos de meca Spain
Style: freestyle
Gear: North Dice 2016 5/7/9/11 m
Ride clash 140 2.1
Brand Affiliation: We Test Kites

Postby davedej » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:12 pm

https://www.wetestkites.com/2017/04/03/ ... d-charger/

Ventum and Switch reviews also on the site.

Dave
We Test Kites
These users thanked the author davedej for the post (total 2):
rw30 (Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:50 am) • mapo (Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:31 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Kitesurfing”