Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Naish Kites, Twin Tips and Surfboards are Here

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New Naish Kites, Twin Tips and Surfboards are Here

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:26 pm

My biggest size is an 11m, so I might be interested in a 12m, but prior accounts suggest that the larger sizes are not that good (the older 14m I rode a while back was pretty bad to be honest). I'm holding out for a used 2020 8m to complete my set, that year is when they made the major changes to the inflation system, and although I was sceptical at first (loved the Octopus system right up till I had to fix a leak in the main bladder between struts and screwed it up and had to get a new bladder, etc. on my 11m, expensive and annoying), I have a 2020 10m that I really like and ride even if the 11m is more appropriate.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:30 pm

I will get my trusted 11m size and hand my 2020 to my son. Maybe adding a 6m. My 2021 8m is still like new, no need to update.
I like the graphics on the TTs, for me the best of the last 3-4 years. Is the added flex in the tips of the Motion, which they introduced in 2020, noticable? Would be a reason for me to update, beside the cool graphics :D I am on 2019 Motion.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:45 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:26 pm
My biggest size is an 11m, so I might be interested in a 12m, but prior accounts suggest that the larger sizes are not that good (the older 14m I rode a while back was pretty bad to be honest). I'm holding out for a used 2020 8m to complete my set, that year is when they made the major changes to the inflation system, and although I was sceptical at first (loved the Octopus system right up till I had to fix a leak in the main bladder between struts and screwed it up and had to get a new bladder, etc. on my 11m, expensive and annoying), I have a 2020 10m that I really like and ride even if the 11m is more appropriate.
Well, 11 has been my go-to kite for a long time..this year I will replace it with a 12. First time in a while. I am super stoked to check it out.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:15 pm

I'd love to know what changed on the 12 and 14m as the 14m Pivot is our go to size around here unfortunately. I have an S25 Pivot 14 LE and it isn't a bad kite at all. I've used the high wind setting and felt it really helped on the overpowered day I used it. (left the 11m at home) That said, I think there is room for improvement.
-less bar pressure
-faster
-better on the lighter end (it will drop like a rock if not kept totally active in light air)

I know these are some nitpicks, and to be fair it wasn't designed to be a super light wind/foil use kite. I think it's a bigger guy's moderate wind kite. I've resolved the low end/lightwind issue with adding a Boxer 16m. That thing will hang in very light air.

So I'm not really in the market for a new 14m, but my buddy is shopping for a new quiver and was wondering too what they did to improve the 14m.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:00 pm

POACHER wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:15 pm
I'd love to know what changed on the 12 and 14m as the 14m Pivot is our go to size around here unfortunately. I have an S25 Pivot 14 LE and it isn't a bad kite at all. I've used the high wind setting and felt it really helped on the overpowered day I used it. (left the 11m at home) That said, I think there is room for improvement.
-less bar pressure
-faster
-better on the lighter end (it will drop like a rock if not kept totally active in light air)

I know these are some nitpicks, and to be fair it wasn't designed to be a super light wind/foil use kite. I think it's a bigger guy's moderate wind kite. I've resolved the low end/lightwind issue with adding a Boxer 16m. That thing will hang in very light air.

So I'm not really in the market for a new 14m, but my buddy is shopping for a new quiver and was wondering too what they did to improve the 14m.
The 12m had way too much bar pressure IMO...even in light wind it pulled like a truck. I am hoping this is the issue they worked on.. My guess is they have tweaked the bridal so it flies more forward in the window.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:56 pm

What I heard was that the 12 and 14 are way different and the others have quite a few changes to them.
All of the kites should be lighter, and quite a few changes to how they are sewn (?)
The 12 and 14 should be way higher AR, and combined with the lighter weight the kite would move faster forward in the window, turn faster and not be having that truck feel. The trailing edge should be different as well. They should also have made the bar pressure lighter in the bigger sizes. The kite is supposed to be great for big / high jumps.
I am hoping my local shop gets these kites in ASAP.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
matth (Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:12 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Orca-N
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: var (DE + NL)
Gear: var

Postby Orca-N » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:12 am

All of the kites should be lighter, and quite a few changes to how they are sewn (?)
Regarding Pivot, some obvious changes concerning the weight of all sizes are visible on the pictures or mentioned in the description:
- Trailing edge is strenghtened diffently: I think additional foil layers in narrow shape instead of dacron in "shark teeth shape
- Steering lines connection: 2 instead of 3 positions = less material/weight
- Tube diameter is supposed to be reduced which also affects weight
- Tips have less dacron I think
+ Likely more of this minor changes

Kitedicted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Orbit 22 11/9

Postby Kitedicted » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:54 am

So to be real,
2015 pivot vs 2022 pivot
- same shape, same bridle (+optional adjustment), more durable, weight loss of 10-15%, different inflation

Saltyman
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 85kg
Style: Freeride/wakestyle, old school big air
Gear: Slingshot,Naish, Cabrinha,

Postby Saltyman » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:27 am

Since 2020 kites have diagonal seam in canopy.
Less flutter, better shape and strength.
S26 has changes in trailing edge and wingtips.

Kitedicted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Orbit 22 11/9

Postby Kitedicted » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:52 am

What has changed in the wingtip?

Return to “Kitesurfing”