Rare Poster
Local Beach: Comox Valley, the Spit
Style: Strapless
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: CKR Comox Kite Repair

Kite size for tandem riding

Postby Joostio » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:58 pm

Hello fine folks.

I am thinking of rigging up a tandem setup to take my wife out on. I am curious about the kite size selection. I assume atleast 1 size if not 2 up from what I would ride solo.

We do have a door board that I can mount a second set of straps on and I am able to make all the harness modifications required. It's the kite size that has me stumped.

I'm also wondering how body dragging goes when you loose the board. So much to figure out. Thanks for the advice.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite size for tandem riding

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:24 pm

Nono73
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 75
Local Beach: MONTPELIER AND SEMNOZ
Favorite Beaches: Les zaresquouilles
Style: The best I can do
Gear: My personnal
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nono73 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:33 am

Hello,

I ride with my daugther since a long time now. I can tell you that I am 75kg and she's 30kg now.
We use a big door to be abble to ride (155*52 or someting like that. You really need this kind of board to be abble to ride with pleasure and control.
If you have a smaller board you will need to be really really overpowored and it will really technical and physical.

About kite size I use 19sm foil kite the most of the time and I ride between 11 to 17kts.
I need a 12 tube kite to ride in 18-25kts and a 9 for more.
In fact I take the same kite as if I want to do good jump (more than 3m )

The big problem is that when you are one the beach, you have to be abble to drive a kite over powered.
In my case (105kg to ride) I have one of the big size of the spot
If your wife is 60kg, you will have 130kg to ride... So for sure you will have the bigger kite of the spot.
For exemple if everyone is in 12sm with a classic TT, you will need 17sm or 15sm with a big door.

if you can find a board in 160*55 or more it will be really apreciate.

To begining it is really better to have flat water. It is really technical if you have wave (even if it is 70cm)

Have fun

Norbert

Greenturtle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:11 pm

I use lei kites 19m or 17m and door board in roughly 15+knots wind. Basically in wind I would normally ride a 12m or 14m then its 17m or 19m for tandem.

-Stay in shallow water.
-Don’t lose the board.
-You wear seat harness, passenger wears waist harness- this forms better angles.
-adding rope/t-handle extentions on bar ends helps.
-below bar trim systems help so its in easier reach.
-make sure passenger knows how, and how not, to activate release.
-wear flotation vests otherwise you will sink and splutter when setting up or stopping, as the passenger leans back into you. Also its just a good idea in general.
-you will definitely need to tell passenger to put hips forward as you get up and ride, otherwise your balls will be getting crushed. Seriously, talk through this beforehand and remind them as you are getting pulled up otherwise they will poo-stance and it just won’t work.
-talk to passenger about heel pressure. Getting them to actively help edge the board as you gain good traction is important.

I will also say it’s possible to tandem with a smaller person without them wearing the harness. Just position the passenger to one side of center line ropes (if traveling left, passenger on right side of rope) and switch sides by stopping every time to change direction. With this method the passenger can put one hand on the center rope just above the release (be mindful not to mash their hand when sheeting in) or on your harness somewhere, and the other hand holds behind them to your waist/butt/upper leg area. This method allows the passenger to quickly separate from you (and trouble), but you need to be a boss at holding and managing overpowered kite. I find this works well with kids or adults if they are much smaller than me.

Joostio
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Comox Valley, the Spit
Style: Strapless
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: CKR Comox Kite Repair

Postby Joostio » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:53 pm

Thanks for the tips, I do have a door that I can add a second set of straps on it.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:05 am

My wife did a tandem ride, her weight was 94 lbs, instructor about 185 lbs, 14 meter switchblade, Axis dual board, 2 seat harnesses, to reach the bar he used webbing straps around his wrists to the ends of the bar, and to hook into the harness he had two big 10 inch carabiners that I think were used in hangliding. He would also take people tandem on a foilboard.

Return to “Kitesurfing”