Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who's design is it really? Kite marketing sucks.

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Who's design is it really? Kite marketing sucks.

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:59 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:07 pm
The hype in kite advertising is definitely annoying, but the advancements in kite design I've experienced in 16 years are amazing. My first body dragging was on a two-line Naish 7m (AR5 I believe, thread is elsewhere). Then on to four-line C-kites to actually learn, slowly, to kite. Then Best Warroos, followed by a series of incremental improvements like the Cabo. And in 2015 the Naish Pivot, with major improvements in 2018 and 2020. My 2020 Naish 10m Pivot is my 27th kite and the best yet.
AR3.5.
AR5 was the first 4-line kite from Naish

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:09 pm

Toby wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:59 am
Hugh2 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:07 pm
The hype in kite advertising is definitely annoying, but the advancements in kite design I've experienced in 16 years are amazing. My first body dragging was on a two-line Naish 7m (AR5 I believe, thread is elsewhere). Then on to four-line C-kites to actually learn, slowly, to kite. Then Best Warroos, followed by a series of incremental improvements like the Cabo. And in 2015 the Naish Pivot, with major improvements in 2018 and 2020. My 2020 Naish 10m Pivot is my 27th kite and the best yet.
AR3.5.
AR5 was the first 4-line kite from Naish
Yep, Toby’s correct. My first kite was the AR 3.5 (what catchy names we had then ;) ) and it was 2 line only. It came with either the cool Naish Pirate skull or the Honu (Turtle). Unfortunately, I had the turtle. :lol:

mountain_lake
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 75
Style: TT and Hydrofoil
Gear: Duotone Evo 7+12 , Dice 10 qm
Reedin Supermodel 9+12 qm
Kauper Maverick 10 qm
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mountain_lake » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:00 am

vakiter wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:35 am
@SWO_kite I have actually been really interested in this too. Mainly to optimize deals on used gear .
Would be cool to organize a spreadsheet of duplicate equipment .
I also have noticed blade kites are same as epic kites .
That Blade kites are similar to Epic kites is interesting. I checked their homepages and yes, they absolutely look the same. Would be interesting if Dimitry sells rebranded Blade kites or Blade sells rebranded Epic kites. Looking at the homepage and the teams behind the brands I have a suspicion... :wink:

I always feel pitty if brands claim they "designed" something and the only thing they did is bought it off the shelf and put their names on. You see this so often with kite brands. I for example ride sp bindings with snowboard style ratchets. And a lot of board brands claim that's their design. Same for the Reeding branded Majestic bar which actually is really good.

I'd love to see brands claim that they developed their stuff with a partner. This would make them even more trust worthy for me.

Cheers
mountain_lake

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:23 pm

Dimitri was always open about his designer and that he designs also for other brands. I would call it custom solution- clear refinements of the overall platform. Or what else would you call any design iteration after the kite designer rochade at all mayor brands over the last 2 years. I kind of lost track of who finally went where.

Return to “Kitesurfing”