Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who's design is it really? Kite marketing sucks.

Forum for kitesurfers
SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber
Brand Affiliation: None

Who's design is it really? Kite marketing sucks.

Postby SWO_kite » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:57 pm

So I just noticed that the 2021 Slingshot Sentry control bar is almost a carbon copy of the Reedin Dreamstick (1 & 2).

I work in an engineering field as my day job, so I completely understand the logic and cost effectiveness of why companies source prefab components and assemble them to their specification. But what bugs me is that, we the riders, have no clue who's actually designing these components and assembly configurations. All the marketing they throw out into the wild is just stuffed with statements like they designed this *thing* with the utmost rider considerations - meanwhile, it was some factory in China that is currently making 500,000 units of a QR that had a good price in the colour black.

Car companies are fairly transparent about partnering to co-develop products. Examples include, Subaru BRZ + Toyota FRS and Toyota Supra + BMW Z4.

I suppose I just wish kite companies were more transparent about the components they select. No need to convince everyone YOU were the company that gifted us this obviously predetermined product. This misleading marketing detracts from their credibility, in my opinion.

Another example is Ocean Rodeo. I noticed their 2020-2021 bars are using the exact same QR's that Liquid Force was using 4 years ago! Claiming it's "new" and "great", I'm embarrassed for them.

Rant end.

These users thanked the author SWO_kite for the post:
vakiter (Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:42 am)
Rating: 3.03%

dewwy
Medium Poster
Style: Freestyle/Wakestyle
Gear: -

Re: Who's design is it really? Kite marketing sucks.

Postby dewwy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:34 pm

Yeah that's how it has always been. Reedin / Slingshot and few other brands use https://majestik-design.com/ QR/Bar Design. They do have a branding which is basically the letter "M" on both sides of the QR. Not that any rider would know what that means tho... Would be cool if they'd show some transparency. Imho it wouldn't even have a negative impact on sales/marketing.
These users thanked the author dewwy for the post (total 3):
SWO_kite (Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:40 pm) • vakiter (Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:30 am) • kct (Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:14 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:05 pm

SWO_kite, are you kidding me?

It's been 20 years of kiteboarding bars that were either faulty right off the start, or wore out so quickly that you'd be lucky to get a year of use out of them. And these BS designs were primarily a product of trying to get around patents of rival kite companies. It's seriously been 2 decades of a s--t show in unnecessary designs and failures caused by desperation to be different enough to not get sued for patent infringement.

And think of all the different colors on each end of the bar! The had used so many, that by 2017 there were companies actually putting the wrong color on the right side! And don't even get me started about CL release activation. That'd be like if an automobile manufacturer decided to switch the common location for the gas and brake pedal!

Be thankful that the market has finally started to put this idiocy behind us. Maybe we'll get gear that is actually decent.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
nixmatters (Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:08 pm

dewwy wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:34 pm
Yeah that's how it has always been. Reedin / Slingshot and few other brands use https://majestik-design.com/ QR/Bar Design. They do have a branding which is basically the letter "M" on both sides of the QR. Not that any rider would know what that means tho... Would be cool if they'd show some transparency. Imho it wouldn't even have a negative impact on sales/marketing.
They are the guys behind Ikon. Also design kites for numerous brands, like Switch and Lacuna. Very decent designs too, same level as the big brands

The QR is very decent too. I have it too now, and my only nitpick is that the donkey dick can rub against the ballbearing when it's pivoted too much to the center.

SWO_kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Yes
Style: Foil/Freeride/Big air
Gear: 11m Reedin SM V2, 8m & 6m SS Raptor
128 Shinn Sunburner + 75 AL-mast + K wing
140 Best Spark, 133 Cabrinha Caliber

Postby SWO_kite » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:30 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:05 pm
It's been 20 years of kiteboarding bars that were either faulty right off the start, or wore out so quickly that you'd be lucky to get a year of use out of them. And these BS designs were primarily a product of trying to get around patents of rival kite companies. It's seriously been 2 decades of a s--t show in unnecessary designs and failures caused by desperation to be different enough to not get sued for patent infringement.

And think of all the different colors on each end of the bar! The had used so many, that by 2017 there were companies actually putting the wrong color on the right side! And don't even get me started about CL release activation. That'd be like if an automobile manufacturer decided to switch the common location for the gas and brake pedal!

Be thankful that the market has finally started to put this idiocy behind us. Maybe we'll get gear that is actually decent.
I feel like we're talking about two different things here. I wasn't taking a shot at the quality or the design fundamentals, just simply voicing my opinion about the marketing communication and statements.

I happen to agree with you regarding functionality and consistency. Much better than years gone by. In fact, I neglected to mention that I'm happy in general being able to mix different brands parts together. In this specific example, now knowing I can use Slingshot parts to repair a Dreamstick or versa-vicea gives me confidence that I can easily source a compatible part. Having options to repair or replace gear items is fantastic.

Cheers Fella!

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:56 pm

Unfortunately you are describing so so many industries and not only the kite industry.

And I don't agree with you that the car industry is especially open about it - just that some of the stuff is rather impossible to hide.
iu.jpeg
That is one Gong kite and Core kite next to each other (or something). The analogy isn't perfect as I don't know of two kite brands being produced at the same factory with basically the same design and parts - where one is a "high end" brand and the other is more a "good value for money" brand - as those two cars/vans.

Problem is it requires a lot from consumers to try to objectively evaluate a product. Even if we could would we? Certainly not for all things we buy - we just wouldn't have time to. But I do wish it would be possible for some of the bigger investments. Instead both us as consumers and the producers have found out that branding is more important than any sort of objective measure. And that even works for water so..... case closed.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:13 pm

Havre wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:56 pm
Unfortunately you are describing so so many industries and not only the kite industry.

And I don't agree with you that the car industry is especially open about it - just that some of the stuff is rather impossible to hide.
Absolutely true. Every consumer oriented industry (especially retail) depends on marketing, and rarely (if ever) will you find marketing that is open, transparent and objective. If you want objectivity based on the facts, you'll need to look outside of marketing (maybe to engineering?? :thumb: ).

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:47 pm

While we are unleashing old man rants.

What about this years kite is sooooooo much better than last years kite. When in fact it has a colour change and might be 1% if you are really lucky.

Its all marketing hype.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:43 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:13 pm
Havre wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:56 pm

Absolutely true. Every consumer oriented industry (especially retail) depends on marketing, and rarely (if ever) will you find marketing that is open, transparent and objective. If you want objectivity based on the facts, you'll need to look outside of marketing (maybe to engineering?? :thumb: ).
I guess we (as consumers) have become so used to being spoken to as children that we wouldn't know how to deal with information in any other way?

I have had the pleasure of working with several world class engineers. And when I say world class I truly mean that they designed and engineered products that no-one else have been able to design and engineer (not consumer goods). Funny thing when you speak to them they will gladly tell you about all the trade-offs they have had to make. So even world class products might not be best at everything because that is just not possible. Imagine a kite producer telling us about the trade-offs and compromises they have had to make? I fear most people wouldn't even know how to deal with that information. At least not initially. I have no doubt though, that longer term, that would lead to better products and consumers making better decisions when buying equipment.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:42 pm

plummet wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:47 pm
While we are unleashing old man rants.

What about this years kite is sooooooo much better than last years kite. When in fact it has a colour change and might be 1% if you are really lucky.

Its all marketing hype.
Not always true, there are design changes that actually do make big differencs. Case in point, the complete removal of all sliders/pulleys will have a major effect as will opening up the center canopy by spacing the middle struts farther out.

Aluula will have a manor effect.

Mind you, there ARE years where its a different color combo with rubber pads on the LE.

Return to “Kitesurfing”