Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First Kiteboarding lesson Ever... Feedback and few questions

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First Kiteboarding lesson Ever... Feedback and few questions.

Postby Herman » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:14 pm

Great advice from slappysan, 1hr in perfect conditions is worth many hours of crap conditions. I added a bit to my original post above regarding looking at the kite. Some use TUK, time under kite.

I will also add that the learning curve has an unfortunate twist once you have gained a little experience. Using minimal power has some safety advantages for learning kite control; but learning the initial stages of waterstarting and riding are more easily accomplished with power. This also applies to getting up wind.

Another oddity is that body dragging well turns out to be harder than riding once you are up and running imho. Your baptism by fire in well powered if not overpowered conditions will serve you well further down the line.

PS As you say, understanding the safety is easy, the crux of the matter is training the brain to recognise when to use it early enough. Training to even let go of the bar is difficult for some. Try grabbing the wrong side of the bar on your trainer and releasing just to train your avionics to expect this sort of thing.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:31 pm

Fully agree that shallow water is helpful, but I would also not try to overthink things. I learned in deep water with a fairly big shore break and light wind. It does take longer, but you will get there.

As for power. If you are not flying all over the place as a beginner you are probably not overpowered. I don't think you have much choice but to trust the instructor though. Which kite is best will have to be determined by the conditions of the day. I had everything from a 9 to a 14 during my lessons over a period of a couple of weeks.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb/86kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:56 pm

12m kite for a beginner in 20-30 mph is nuts. You are the same weight as me and I would use at most 9m, and for learning initial body dragging and keeping the kite flying a 7m would work fine. I find in teaching people at your stage that the most important thing is to body drag until you can reliably dive the kite and bring it back up again and dive it again and bring it back up again without hitting the water. Once you can reliably do that hundreds of times you can start on a board because you will already have the muscle memory (most beginners when they start on the board will forget the kite completely and dive it into the water, this is to be avoided!). And I think a week in OBX in early October would make all the difference, maybe take one more lesson or just go for it with a more appropriate kite. If you have a driver then they can pick you up downwind (e.g. first to second turnouts north of Avon, or Kite Point to Canadian Hole, or vice versa depending on wind direction. Otherwise body drag out 100 yards then back in, then walk back to start position and repeat. Do the same when you start on the board. The penalty of the "walk of shame" back upwind will incentivise you to learn faster! Finally, like others say, your experience is not that unusual and if you are determined to learn and stick with it, it will all eventually come right. Just be aware this is an addictive sport, but extremely satisfying once you are competent. And a great sport to introduce your kid to, wife too!

LePhasme
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 74
Local Beach: City Beach (Perth, Au)
Favorite Beaches: Shoalwater
Augusta
Nickolson point
Style: Big air
Gear: Duotone rebel (7, 10, 12)
Cabrinha ace 135x40

Postby LePhasme » Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:59 am

Did you learn with a proper instructor or with a mate ? Because 12m is way overpowered for a beginner, except if you weight 120kg

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Postby Coloradokiter » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:41 am

That school should be ashamed of itself. Putting any beginner, first lesson, any weight, on a 12m kite in those wind speeds put you in a dangerous situation. On your 1st lesson you just need to learn how to fly a kite safely and today any 5m will fly in those winds.

1234567Simon
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Freeride , and Wave kites

Postby 1234567Simon » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:13 am

When I learned we spend plenty of time dragging our self through sand…. Drawing long zick zack lines in the sand with your feet…
I was super confident in downlooping to both directions before entering the water.

That was with a two line wipika.

We also spend long time with one of those small steering kites. They get speed like crazy. So always after changing to the real kite, it felt super slow and very relaxing.

So if you crash a lot, Go practise more on the beachy.
And once you understand that pulling right, does not mean turning right but rather clockwise, you will not crash as often.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:48 am

Rav

The reason you were crashing and finding control difficulties……..conjecture on my part, but see if it fits.

Overpowered on kite. Too much trim pulled in. Rear lines very slack. Did not sheet in enough to get rear line tension to steer.

Kite aT Z, slack rear lines - too much trim, kite wanders off Z thought you were correcting with bar but rears too slack to control the kite…..it’s crashed but I was steering it!!

Does this fit?

PS Simplistically a 5m LEI is too fast and powerful in its design wind range for a beginner to kitesurf. But generally they fly just fine for beach training when underpowered in a reasonable breeze, probably no faster than an average two line foil trainer.
Last edited by Herman on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:01 am

How certain are we that the wind had gusts up to 30 knots?

Not sure if we should take that for granted.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:54 pm

RaviTheJedi wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:15 pm
Took my first Kiteboarding lesson ever with East of Maui in Dewey, Delaware last week.

I Googled , "Sandy Point State Park" ; looks like a Great beach
to fly kites with a three-wheeled-buggy, or land-board. Go
find out if there is a landboarding club in that aria ; the techniques
for land, are totally transferable to the water, AND : you will be
able to kite in 3 to 5-mph winds , when the tide is low, and the sand
is hard, (+ there is also snow kiting). There is a forum on KF ; dedicated
to snow / land :

viewforum.php?f=6

Any and All kiting ; will help you get better !!

Bille

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:21 pm

Havre wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:01 am
How certain are we that the wind had gusts up to 30 knots?

Not sure if we should take that for granted.
Yeah, he's mistaken. I live at DE beaches and it hasn't blown 25 here in months.
These users thanked the author ThickAir for the post:
Havre (Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:49 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Return to “Kitesurfing”