Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First Kiteboarding lesson Ever... Feedback and few questions

Forum for kitesurfers
AirConnolly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First Kiteboarding lesson Ever... Feedback and few questions.

Postby AirConnolly » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:58 pm

Take two weeks off and quit... :lol:

Just kidding. Good advice above. You don't need more gear, just more practice.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:19 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:29 pm
Biggest thing you can do for your progression is to go somewhere with knee to waist deep water, completely changes the experience.
OBX and SPI both have great shallow water spots.
I have no personal experience but looking around a map of Delaware you might have better luck at Assateague Beach on low tide for something closer to home.
Or Perhaps Stone Harbor.
This 1000 times.

I went out on my 16m Boxer in very light air the other day. I basically knew this was a downwind one way trip with me getting picked up, but didn't care. I really wanted to see how low the kite would go. I kited decently for 30 minutes powered then the wind dropped to 5 mph and I dumped the kite. The beginner experience of trying to relaunch a kite in deep water immediately came back. I've done it a million times, but now I had a large single strut kite stuck to the water, can't touch bottom to generate some leverage and little breeze to get the kite back going. I had a laugh to myself because of this experience for me 20 years ago, but it's not funny when learning. It's very tiring, frustrating and hinders the initial learning experience fighting the water while learning to fly the kite. I really think it's this experience that scares a lot of beginners from continuing with kiting. Deep water relaunch is a necessary skill but for your first steps pay to play and go where the water is shallow and the wind is reliable. You'll learn twice as fast.

Yes the suggestions of Hatteras and Texas are great.
Add Long Bay TCI if your pockets are deep.
Last edited by POACHER on Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author POACHER for the post:
RaviTheJedi (Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:46 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

RaviTheJedi
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 190
Local Beach: Sandy Point State Park, Maryland, USA
Fort Smallwood Park, Maryland, USA
Dewey Beach, Delaware, USA
Assateague State Park, Maryland, USA
Gear: None

Postby RaviTheJedi » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:46 pm

Herman wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:48 am
Overpowered on kite. Too much trim pulled in. Rear lines very slack. Did not sheet in enough to get rear line tension to steer.

Kite aT Z, slack rear lines - too much trim, kite wanders off Z thought you were correcting with bar but rears too slack to control the kite…..it’s crashed but I was steering it!!

Does this fit?
This sounds right. The kite kept dropping after sheeting in. Take a look at the attached video between 1:00 and 1:06. That's exactly what happened. After few people mentioned here, I did some research and came across there is such thing as trimming the kite. I looked at some videos and realized that my kite probably wasn't trimmed right.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:55 pm

Funnily enough that is the complete opposite of what I was trying to describe but that does not matter, rear lines too tight as opposed to being too slack. The important thing is you are starting to appreciate the importance of trim. It is essential to generate the ability to feel and see the tension in the rear lines and recognise when the kite is flying freely or being choked.

Newbies in decent wind should trim the kite so it does not backstall, but not so trimmed that the rear lines become too slack to control the kite. However, when you start practicing kite control in light wind backstall is more prevalent, here if you cannot get the kite to recover by sheeting out grab the centre lines and give them a good yank, this will get the kite flying forward again rather than crashing onto the TE.

In strong wind on land if you backstall a kite down into the power zone pull the qr and eject, if you sheet out the kite will fly up and you will be yarded down the beach. With that very brief look at trim I will leave you in peace and wish you good luck with keeping the correct AoA with sheeting and trim.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
RaviTheJedi (Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:17 pm)

Azzieo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Local Beach: Belmont Shore
Leo Carillo
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Azzieo » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:32 am

RaviTheJedi wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:46 pm

This sounds right. The kite kept dropping after sheeting in. Take a look at the attached video between 1:00 and 1:06. That's exactly what happened. After few people mentioned here, I did some research and came across there is such thing as trimming the kite. I looked at some videos and realized that my kite probably wasn't trimmed right.
Not sure if it's been mentioned but if you are using older bar ( could be even 1 season used ), chances are the rear lines have shrunk, which would definitely cause the backstall at full in. You can compensate with using the trim, but that means you are gonna lose depower throw, so not a great idea. Check your bar lines, make sure they are equal length. Some bars have adjustments in the bar ends or floats, some don't. Pigtails can be used to extend the rear lines too.. but in all cases, shorter rear lines at bar full in backstall the kite, so eliminate this possibility first..

These users thanked the author Azzieo for the post:

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:13 am

The first lesson was a good one for you and you learned some respect for the elements.

I'm a big fan of playing with a 4-6m tube kite in 10-15 mph winds. Learn to trim the kite and keep in the air. Do exercises like learning to stand with the kite and scudding. Practice the safety. Practice relaunching the kite on land. IMO you should be able to fly the kite with your eyes closed before the next lesson. If you are looking at the kite to keep it in the air then its going to be tough to put the board on your feet. You should be able to find a beat up 4-6 m kite for a very low cost and a decent lightly used one for a modest cost. It wouldn't hurt you if you learned to patch it with sail tape and learned to replace a valve.

Billie's suggestion of riding a mountain board or kite-buggy is also a top tip. I sold my mountain board long ago but just bought a used one to practice with the hand-wing. Even a longboard skateboard in an empty parking lot offers some education. Ideally you should be able to play with it for an hour after work at least once a week.

I wasn't able to ride upwind from 2003-2006 riding in light and intermittent wind Georgia lakes but one session on SPI and I was riding upwind. The clean wind, shallow water and absence of chop all made a huge difference.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:37 am

I think that is overthinking it training on land. Nothing to suggest Ravi won't be able to pick this up quite quickly in the water. If you are 15 hours in and you still can't control the kite - then you might want to look for alternative ways of learning. Not that I am against training - just that I don't think it is necessary.

The mistake described in that video at 1:00 is just a typical mistake I guess almost all beginners make. I remember doing the same thing thinking the kite needed "power". After some hours you start to "feel" how the kite behaves and you just automatically stop doing these kinds of mistakes. Or you will notice when you have made it and adjust accordingly without thinking about it.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
RaviTheJedi (Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:18 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:35 am

+1 for Jakemoore’s post

In the old days if you were 15hrs in and still not controlling the kite you would probably be in hospital. The best route to kitesurfing then was to learn on a landboard first as it requires less power. Nowadays with modern kites you can get away with it but it still makes me wince when I see beginners on the water with only pull left kite goes left skills. Makes no sense to me. TOK is more important from the safety aspect imho, just not quite as important as TOW with respect to being able to ride.

However, as I have also said you don’t kitesurf by conscious thought, so much of the analysis has to be done after a session and, later, with visualising before a session. Therefore, if a session is not going well it can be a good idea to take a break to think it through. Perhaps oddly, the final aim is to be able to do the opposite; when you are on the perfect wave you zone out and go with the flow with no conscious thought interfering with your ultimate Stoke………
…….takes a while but it an amazing feeling.

You just have to find your own balance between this and, a monkey see - monkey do approach as both have their benefits imho.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
RaviTheJedi (Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:18 pm)

RaviTheJedi
Rare Poster

Postby RaviTheJedi » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:08 pm

Azzieo wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:32 am

Not sure if it's been mentioned but if you are using older bar ( could be even 1 season used ), chances are the rear lines have shrunk, which would definitely cause the backstall at full in. You can compensate with using the trim, but that means you are gonna lose depower throw, so not a great idea. Check your bar lines, make sure they are equal length. Some bars have adjustments in the bar ends or floats, some don't. Pigtails can be used to extend the rear lines too.. but in all cases, shorter rear lines at bar full in backstall the kite, so eliminate this possibility first..

The bar is brand new 2020 model, that's why I never questioned it. I'll definetly check the lines before I go out next time. Waiting on good wind around Assateague/Delaware area.

Ravi.

RaviTheJedi
Rare Poster

Postby RaviTheJedi » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:10 pm

Thank you everyone for great feedback.

Next plan on attack for me:
1. Get super comfortable flying kite without a board.
2. Make sure I am about to upwind by body dragging.
3. Once I am super comfortable with step 2, add the board.

Landboarding is a good idea. Might have to try it.

Ravi.

Return to “Kitesurfing”