Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Florida one kite for all winds?

Postby Soli » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:21 pm

lindseym wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:52 am
So, I've been kiting in Tampa for over a decade and I'd say well over 50% of my sessions have been on a kite size of 14m or larger (and that's probably an underestimate). I am about 160lbs and typically ride a twin tip about 136. Yes, I agree with the previous comments...when it comes to a 1 kite quiver you want to get something with the best possible range and since we're in Fl go with something a little bigger. I have found the Rebel to have the widest range but try out a few at the local shops and see which one works best for you. As far as size, I'd go with a 12m. Hope this helps.
Hey! My apologies for not reacting sooner. Not sure why, but I have not seen your post before - as it happened with other replies I got on this same thread. Thanks for your insight and info. As time passes I do realize south Florida is not the best of place to Kitesurf. I have tried a 16m in December and felt like I was going slo-mo. Wasn't fun at all and missed the whole point of kiteboarding.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:40 am

I weigh 50 pounds more than you and kite most of the time in SE Florida. You are here for our windier months although that could mean no wind to nuclear conditions depending on what weather system is passing over. I use 7 m to 19 m kites in that time with twin tip boards usually. Admittedly, 7 m days are very rare for me. Usually my smallest kite is a 9 m with the odd exception and I use it with stronger cold fronts. I probably get the most use out of 14 or 17 m kite although there have been times with the 19 m gets plenty of use. Unless you plan to miss a number of days, you will want at least two kites. You might drop one to two kite sizes from those that I reference to compensate for our major weight differences. Not all big kites fly like bricks. My 19 m Cabrinha Contra is fairly fast and maneuverable for instance. Some 16 m kites are SLOW and not a lot of fun as you described. Fortunately, I don't have that problem today unlike years in the past with older tech.
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
Soli (Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:39 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Soli
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 61 kg / 135 lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:54 pm

RickI wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:40 am
I weigh 50 pounds more than you and kite most of the time in SE Florida. You are here for our windier months although that could mean no wind to nuclear conditions depending on what weather system is passing over. I use 7 m to 19 m kites in that time with twin tip boards usually. Admittedly, 7 m days are very rare for me. Usually my smallest kite is a 9 m with the odd exception and I use it with stronger cold fronts. I probably get the most use out of 14 or 17 m kite although there have been times with the 19 m gets plenty of use. Unless you plan to miss a number of days, you will want at least two kites. You might drop one to two kite sizes from those that I reference to compensate for our major weight differences. Not all big kites fly like bricks. My 19 m Cabrinha Contra is fairly fast and maneuverable for instance. Some 16 m kites are SLOW and not a lot of fun as you described. Fortunately, I don't have that problem today unlike years in the past with older tech.
Thanks for your insight!
I am aware that Cabrinha's are one the top kites our there. I did get a chance to kite with them a few times.
After having progressed a lot this past year and understanding much better how the wind behaves, I reached the conclusion that Florida isn't the perfect Kitesurf destination for me, riding a Twintip board. Coming from Spain we like more "action" when Kitesurfing. Such low winds take out all the fun for us really.
I guess I'll have to wait for when I start feeling more comfortable with higher waves to enjoy Kitesurfing in cold Florida fronts.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:57 am

Have you considered a hydrofoil and a light 8 or 9 m2 kite?

Then you can ride from 8 knots of wind, and jump also.

When wind gets to 16-17 knots you should be able to ride your TT, being 59 kg.

Just mentioning this, as I know many who foil in Florida, because of the often low winds.
Some even stick to hydrofoiling and one kite there, as they can ride a lot of days now, and only sit out on the few windy days.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Soli (Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:59 am)

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:44 pm

My experience in florida ( jacksonville and the keys) is that its generally light wind, unless it's cranking, which makes it a hard wind range to cover with one kite. You probably have to pick whether you want to optimize for the light wind, which might be the 12m or 14m in your case. Or if you want to optimize for when its blowing or storming, which could be a 9m or 7m. Obviously skill level also plays heavily into how much range you can get out of a kite when riding.
These users thanked the author bkkite for the post:
Soli (Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:02 am)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:24 pm

bkkite wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:44 pm
My experience in florida ( jacksonville and the keys) is that its generally light wind, unless it's cranking, which makes it a hard wind range to cover with one kite. You probably have to pick whether you want to optimize for the light wind, which might be the 12m or 14m in your case. Or if you want to optimize for when its blowing or storming, which could be a 9m or 7m. Obviously skill level also plays heavily into how much range you can get out of a kite when riding.

A 7 and 9 m2 can be used on a foil from 13 knots and 10 knots.

And in the other end, when loads of wind, it can be used on a TwinTip.

So now you can use one kite only in each end of the wind range, having these two board types.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Soli (Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:04 am)

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:21 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:24 pm
bkkite wrote:

So now you can use one kite only in each end of the wind range, having these two board types.

8) Peter
That what I do. I actually travel with a 12 and a 9, and a convertible surfboard / foil board. I'm 215lbs and I can ride those two kites from basically 10mph to the high 20s.
These users thanked the author bkkite for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:48 pm) • Soli (Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:06 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Soli
Medium Poster
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:01 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:57 am
Have you considered a hydrofoil and a light 8 or 9 m2 kite?

Then you can ride from 8 knots of wind, and jump also.

When wind gets to 16-17 knots you should be able to ride your TT, being 59 kg.

Just mentioning this, as I know many who foil in Florida, because of the often low winds.
Some even stick to hydrofoiling and one kite there, as they can ride a lot of days now, and only sit out on the few windy days.

8) Peter
To be honest, everyone in Spain is getting into hydrofoiling as well. The climate change is causing windy days to be fewer and fewer, everyone's desperate. I'm still enjoying mi TT and learning more and more each time I ride, so for now I'm hanging in there without a foil board. Maybe in the mid future I'll find myself with no choice.

Soli
Medium Poster
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:03 am

bkkite wrote:
I'm more inclined into being able to use my 12m Reach in Florida. It covers a decent wind range from 12knt to 17knt approx. Let's see what happens on the first 10.dats of December, while I'm down in Florida again....🙏🙏

Soli
Medium Poster
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:05 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:24 pm
bkkite wrote:

8) Peter
I have stepped on a foil board so far, since I'm still enjoying and getting quite a kick out of my TT board. But all things considered, it seem like sooner than later I will end up have to get into foiling too, just like most riders around me. Which SUCKS hahahaha

Return to “Kitesurfing”