Forum for kitesurfers
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Florida one kite for all winds?

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:50 pm

Kitty Hawk Kites in Rodanthe, NC (OBX) has some used RRD kites advertised here:

https://khkkiteboarding.com/collections/rrd
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
Soli (Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:08 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:54 pm

Real Kiteboarding usually has used stuff for sale too.

https://www.realwatersports.com/collect ... teboarding
These users thanked the author Topaz for the post:
Soli (Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:12 pm)

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:00 am

Topaz wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:54 pm
Real Kiteboarding usually has used stuff for sale too.

https://www.realwatersports.com/collect ... teboarding
Yes, very true. But Real has never carried RRD, which was the question.
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
Soli (Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:34 pm)

Soli
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 61 kg / 135 lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:06 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:44 pm
Soli wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:27 pm
I did not find any used or new RRD kites on US websites for sale. Any idea where to look?
Session Sports in Charleston, SC (info@sessionsports.com, 1-844-347-5852 - USA, 1-843-278-7799 - International). They were RRD's USA distributor for many years, but it's my understanding that RRD made a recent decision to to focus solely on the EU market without a dedicated USA distributor. I believe that Session still has some RRD inventory (used, maybe some new). Talk to Adam.
Thanks much! Very useful info!

Soli
Medium Poster
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:14 pm

Topaz wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:22 pm
10.5 sounds like a good compromise, and sure a fun size kite.
I guess RRD kites are not very popular in US. Never saw too many listed for used sales.
Being in Fort Lauderdale, you're 2 hours away from Naples, on the west cost of Florida, so it's doable to drive and kite there for the day.

For used gear, check iKitesurf.com, eBay for on line purchases and CraigsList.com for local pick up stuff.
Assess the real condition of the kite is always a gamble, but since you save big bucks from buying used, it's worth the risk.
Be careful with scammers on iKitesurf.com. Check this thread to know how to be safe:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2403473&hilit=ikitesurf+scam
Thank you for your insight. I really appreciate it!

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:37 pm

9m Airush ultra.

You have to be proficient in all disciplines though: foil, skim, surf, and twin tip. Just change your board depending on the wind from 8 knots up to 30knots+. If you can't foil then you will need a few kites. Of course the Ultra is not optimal for high wind boosting but it still works fine and I do it regularly.

That's actually my exact situation: I live in south florida and only have 1 kite (and I can afford to have as many as I want) and I'm an obsessive kiter who kites as much as possible.
These users thanked the author RadDrDuke for the post:
Soli (Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:42 pm)

Soli
Medium Poster
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:19 pm

Topaz wrote:
I guess RRD kites are not very popular in US. Never saw too many listed for used sales.
Being in Fort Lauderdale, you're 2 hours away from Naples, on the west cost of Florida, so it's doable to drive and kite there for the day.

For used gear, check iKitesurf.com, eBay for on line purchases and CraigsList.com for local pick up stuff.
Assess the real condition of the kite is always a gamble, but since you save big bucks from buying used, it's worth the risk.
Be careful with scammers on iKitesurf.com. Check this thread to know how to be safe:
Hi once again :)
Wanted to ask you for your opinion:
I see you own a Cabrinha. What do you think about using a Cabrinha FX 12m. either with my Naish 11m bar or my RRD 8m bar?
I know it's not the ideal thing, but I have an amazing opportunity to buy an FX without its bar and wondering if they are compatible.
Many thanks for any insight :)

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:05 pm

Those can be some of our better wind months, in a "normal" year. Normal years have been in short supply however so it is hard to form reliable generalities. At 136 lbs. in strong cold fronts, when we start to see those again, they are tardy right now, there will be times when you will want something smaller than an 11 or 12 m. Some days you may want a 7 m, even less in a rare really strong front. Going with an 8 and 11 m with a twin tip and/or surfboard sounds about right like back home. If you foil, you may want smaller still. Doing it all with one kite is tricky unfortunately. Lighter winds are more common than strong winds here, still they will come and at your weight you will want something smaller.
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
Soli (Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:20 am)

Topaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Topaz » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:25 pm

Soli wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:19 pm
Topaz wrote:

Hi once again :)
Wanted to ask you for your opinion:
I see you own a Cabrinha. What do you think about using a Cabrinha FX 12m. either with my Naish 11m bar or my RRD 8m bar?
I know it's not the ideal thing, but I have an amazing opportunity to buy an FX without its bar and wondering if they are compatible.
Many thanks for any insight :)
My signature is kind of old. I own some Cab boards now and a 2016 Cab bar (overdrive X1), but no Cab kites at the moment. Most of my kites now are North(Duotone) and a couple of older Naish kites.
I think you should be fine combining the Naish bar with an Fx. Your Naish bar has most likely all lines the same length. Check with the FX seller, an FX owner, or a Cab rep if the FX works on a regular all-lines-same-length bar. I don't see why it wouldn't. It's pretty much standard now, with rare exceptions.

The only problem you can find (easily fixable) is that the lines cannot be connected to the kite because there are loops in both ends. In that case, you would need to buy a set of pig tails with loops and knots. I saw they cost about $12 last time I needed them.

Are you in Fort Lauderdale yet? Have you checked the spots?
Last edited by Topaz on Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Topaz for the post:
Soli (Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:31 pm)

Topaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Topaz » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:26 pm

RickI wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:05 pm
Those can be some of our better wind months, in a "normal" year. Normal years have been in short supply however so it is hard to form reliable generalities. At 136 lbs. in strong cold fronts, when we start to see those again, they are tardy right now, there will be times when you will want something smaller than an 11 or 12 m. Some days you may want a 7 m, even less in a rare really strong front. Going with an 8 and 11 m with a twin tip and/or surfboard sounds about right like back home. If you foil, you may want smaller still. Doing it all with one kite is tricky unfortunately. Lighter winds are more common than strong winds here, still they will come and at your weight you will want something smaller.
Have you ever seen windless October like this one in South Florida? I hope November gets better than October, but so far not great. Hopefully next week we'll get some wind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”