Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Leading Edge bladder repair advise

Forum for kitesurfers
Saxy
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 180
Local Beach: Myrtle Beach. South Carolina
Favorite Beaches: Grand Bahama Island. Dominican Republic, Cherry Grove Beach South Carolina
Style: Beginner
Gear: Cabrinha Kites and Slingshot Board
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Leading Edge bladder repair advise

Postby Saxy » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:44 pm

Hello all,

I have 11M Cabrinha Switchblade with a ruptured bladder. I am a beginner so this kite will be beat up a lot so I don't want to put a lot of money into it unless I have to. I have done repairs on my other kites such as fixing small holes and valve replacement with good success using Tear-Aid and Aquaseal. I have not tried to make a repair like this before. The bladder is ruptured a couple of inches from the end of the bladder. The biggest problem I see is the tear extends to right to the edge where the end of the bladder wraps back on itself for reinforcement.

I think trying use Tear-aid is going to be difficult as it will be hard to get the bladder to lay flat and not have wrinkles. Since the tear extends out past the edge of the kite would it be possible to just seal the bladder just above the tear and shorten the bladder by a few inches since it folds back on itself at the end of the leading edge anyway? I know I may have to stuff some material in at the end of the leading edges to fill in any gaps?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Attachments
kite 3.jpg
kite 2.jpg
kite 1.jpg

Flyingseb
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: North Dyno, Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo, Fone Trax Board, OR mako board, DIY boards, hydrofoil

Re: Leading Edge bladder repair advise

Postby Flyingseb » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:13 pm

Hello Saxie,

I’ve repaired 2 kites with the same problem, on both bladder ends…
I did it wrong at first, which was really unnerving, because nobody like to see his kite falling deflated from the sky!

Then I found a way to improve my repair: first a good glue (aquaseal), then a way to lay flat the area to be glued, and a press
I need 2 patchs of bladder material, off course big enough to cover completely the tear.
I insert one inside the bladder, through the tear, then I use clamps to make the bladder as flat as possible, on a wood panel.
I apply glue generously around the tear, then the second patch above, then a sheet of foam (from a shipping box), then another wood panel, and finally I press it strongly with adjustable clamps. This way pressure is applied evenly all around the tear, with little to non existant wrinkles. The inside patch prevents the bladder to be glued to the opposite side.
Key is enough glue!
You can wipe off the excess coming out of the assembly.
Let dry minimum 24 hours too!
These users thanked the author Flyingseb for the post (total 2):
Saxy (Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:17 pm) • Mike101 (Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:34 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:13 pm

Buy new or used or borrow a food sealer .Practice with the food plastic so you understand how it works and placement of bladder . You can do whole seams , when there is sand in the bladder you can cut the ends or end off and blow it out.
These users thanked the author ELI for the post:
Saxy (Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:18 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck

Postby knot_moving » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:11 am

Flyingseb wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:13 pm
Hello Saxie,

I did it wrong at first, which was really unnerving, because nobody like to see his kite falling deflated from the sky!

Then I found a way to improve my repair: first a good glue (aquaseal), then a way to lay flat the area to be glued, and a press
I need 2 patchs of bladder material, off course big enough to cover completely the tear.
I insert one inside the bladder, through the tear, then I use clamps to make the bladder as flat as possible, on a wood panel.
I apply glue generously around the tear, then the second patch above, then a sheet of foam (from a shipping box), then another wood panel, and finally I press it strongly with adjustable clamps. This way pressure is applied evenly all around the tear, with little to non existant wrinkles. The inside patch prevents the bladder to be glued to the opposite side.
Key is enough glue!
I've used a similar approach. Just go to your local shop and ask if they have some extra bladder material or ask around your local kite area, someone will have some.
-- I use wax paper/parchment paper inside the bladder instead of another piece of bladder material. I think if you can do it, the extra bladder material is probably a better way.
-- I lay it on a flat board. as above don't scrimp on the glue and I use aquaseal as well. I put parchment paper on top of the outer bladder repair piece and then I use a piece of really stiff foam and put a couple 10lb round barbell weights on top of it. The stiff foam spreads the force of the weights out pretty evenly on the patch. This seems to be enough weight to get a good bond. Just another approach to getting a reliable seal. Key again is use lots of glue :-).
Good luck!
These users thanked the author knot_moving for the post:
Saxy (Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:25 pm)

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:25 am

5 minute job with tear-aid type A. You can use some masking tape to pin down the bladder so it stays perfectly flat as you apply the tape. Use cling film on the inside if you are worried about sticking the bladder onto itself. Cover with a piece of paper and use the back of a spoon to apply pressure after taping. Pressure is your friend!
These users thanked the author sarc for the post:
Saxy (Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:26 pm)

Saxy
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 180
Local Beach: Myrtle Beach. South Carolina
Favorite Beaches: Grand Bahama Island. Dominican Republic, Cherry Grove Beach South Carolina
Style: Beginner
Gear: Cabrinha Kites and Slingshot Board
Been thanked: 0

Postby Saxy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:24 pm

Thank you all for the additional suggestions and encouragement. I have one more question. If you look at the first picture you will see that the end of the bladder doubles or folds back over itself which I assume is for reinforcement. The rip on the bladder extends down below the are where the bladder material folds back on itself so it makes it very difficult to reach down there and work on it. I need to cut a slit down the extra bladder material so I can access the bottom of the tear. I was thinking of cutting slit down the center of this extra part and folding out of the way. Then I can make the repair on the tear and then glue or tape the reinforcement piece back together. Does that make sense?

Flyingseb
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: North Dyno, Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo, Fone Trax Board, OR mako board, DIY boards, hydrofoil

Postby Flyingseb » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:53 pm

You should be fine doing this

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:36 pm

Flyingseb wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:13 pm
Hello Saxie,

Key is enough glue!
Very good idea.

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:38 pm

Did it explode when you pumped it? Did you wrap the ends properly and fold them over themselves I to their little pockets before velcro-ing shut? They need to be locked to pocket thing.

artificialname
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 87kg
Local Beach: Toronto
Gear: Cabrinha crossbow 11metre, 2012
Ozone Edge 17m, 2015
Pansh Genesis 8m
Bar - HQ4

Postby artificialname » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:59 pm

Saxy wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:44 pm
Hello all,

I have 11M Cabrinha Switchblade with a ruptured bladder. I am a beginner so this kite will be beat up a lot so I don't want to put a lot of money into it unless I have to. I have done repairs on my other kites such as fixing small holes and valve replacement with good success using Tear-Aid and Aquaseal. I have not tried to make a repair like this before. The bladder is ruptured a couple of inches from the end of the bladder. The biggest problem I see is the tear extends to right to the edge where the end of the bladder wraps back on itself for reinforcement.

I think trying use Tear-aid is going to be difficult as it will be hard to get the bladder to lay flat and not have wrinkles. Since the tear extends out past the edge of the kite would it be possible to just seal the bladder just above the tear and shorten the bladder by a few inches since it folds back on itself at the end of the leading edge anyway? I know I may have to stuff some material in at the end of the leading edges to fill in any gaps?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

I am also a beginner. Recently repaired a bladder. I found that the bladder repair with tear aid across a seam had little room for error. And I errored. So I bought a new bladder and installed a valve in it. Easy and strong repair.

Return to “Kitesurfing”