Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite GPS for Garmin Watches

Forum for kitesurfers
WOO Worlds
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Local Beach: Worldwide
Gear: Cabrinha, Core, Duotone, Eleveight, Flysurfer, Naish, North and Ozone.
Brand Affiliation: WOO

Re: Kite GPS for Garmin Watches

Postby WOO Worlds » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:09 pm

Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:27 am
JakeFarley wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:14 pm
:( Shows as not compatible with my Fenix 3...
If I remember correctly only compatible with the fenix 5 upwards, Alex has put a list of compatible watches on the connect app.. something to do with Bluetooth comparability..
Indeed.

If "older" devices are not compatible, there is not much we can do on our end.

This is due to Garmin not enabling Bluetooth SDK (for connecting to 3rd party devices like the WOO) and the Garmin Connect IQ SDK (to let you synch your Garmin account and your WOO account) for your device. So the only thing you could do to get your device supported is text/phone Garmin and see whether they can enable those SDKs for your Garmin model.

Hope this helped!
These users thanked the author WOO Worlds for the post:
JakeFarley (Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:23 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

WOO Worlds
Rare Poster

Postby WOO Worlds » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:02 am

Check this out...Timo Marten, Point of Sail Kiel, went 224.6km in one day using his Garmin. Next day he went for another 258km. The garmin app has such a great battery life, we are getting a bit worried about people challenging their watch and see whose energy will run out first. :roll:

(if anyone wondered, he's stacking distance for the WOO Worlds Team Total Distance discipline)
Attachments
timomartenisabeast.jpg

WOO Worlds
Rare Poster

Postby WOO Worlds » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:05 am

and looks like he wasn't even the only one going mad that day...look at how close this leaderboard was!!
Attachments
closecall.jpg

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby beebad » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:43 am

I have been using my strava app for this purpose and it usually worked but lately it has been hit or miss. I am ready for an upgrade.
These users thanked the author beebad for the post:
WOO Worlds (Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:05 pm)

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:38 pm

Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:27 am
JakeFarley wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:14 pm
:( Shows as not compatible with my Fenix 3...
If I remember correctly only compatible with the fenix 5 upwards, Alex has put a list of compatible watches on the connect app.. something to do with Bluetooth comparability..
"Kite GPS" does not use Bluetooth, so I was able to add Fenix 5 (without PLUS) to compatible devices. However dynamic menus and Kiteboarding activity type are only available in Garmin SDK 3.0 an higher, so a lot of old devices (like Fenix 3) are still not included. Technically it is possible to create a GPS app for older devices, but it would practically be a separate app - all settings interface would be completelly different.
These users thanked the author aleks for the post:
WOO Worlds (Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:01 pm)

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:11 pm

I published a small update to the kite GPS app. Version 1.0.1 (current):
Added Descent MK1 and D2 Charlie watches by hardcoding missing SPORT_KITESURFING.

It works in simulator for those 2 watches (it was failing before the fix), but if anyone could test it on a real device, it would be great :thumb:

WOO Worlds
Rare Poster

Postby WOO Worlds » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:13 am

We are so stoked to see people utilizing the garmin app and let their creativity run free on our freeride game!

Here is our TOP 3 of "Draw a Heart" entries for the WOO Worlds! :jump:

Aberdovy kiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 83 kgs
Local Beach: West coastline of mid wales, encompassing aberdovy, harlech, borth, barmouth
Favorite Beaches: Aberdovy mid wales
Style: Freestyle, freeride
Gear: Duotone evo sls 12m
Duotone 9m evo
Duotone 7m dice
Flysurfer 15m speed delux
Nobile T5 140x44
Crazyfly raptor extreme 132x41 2023

Postby Aberdovy kiter » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:57 am

Couple of sessions since the woo app+gps update I've successfully linked woo and garmin accounts, I'm using the woo+gps app on fenix 6 but i don't get a garmin session appearing on the woo app, so i presume i need to use the kite gps app then To record a garmin session?

WOO Worlds
Rare Poster

Postby WOO Worlds » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:46 pm

Aberdovy kiter wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:57 am
Couple of sessions since the woo app+gps update I've successfully linked woo and garmin accounts, I'm using the woo+gps app on fenix 6 but i don't get a garmin session appearing on the woo app, so i presume i need to use the kite gps app then To record a garmin session?
If your Garmin sessions are not showing up on the WOO App, even though they successfully synched with Garmin Connect IQ (they are visible in the Garmin Connect IQ app and/or the Garmin Connect IQ web portal), sometimes it helps to reset the Connect IQ integration.

As seen in the pictures below, open the garmin connect app and navigate to "connected apps". There you select the WOO Sports app, then disable the sharing of activities, wait 10 seconds and enable it again. Usually this resets the integration and your sessions should appear in the WOO app.

But yes, you can also use the Kite GPS app if you plan on using your Garmin without the WOO sensor anyway! :thumb:
Attachments
garmin.png
garmin2.png
These users thanked the author WOO Worlds for the post:
Aberdovy kiter (Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:36 am)

Lostfish
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Par
Gear: Slingshot Fuels
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lostfish » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:12 pm

Toby wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:27 am
Woo News:

Kite GPS for Garmin Watches

Kite GPS.jpg

The new Kite GPS by WOO Sports app enables your Garmin Watch to track and save your kite session's GPS. It will display speed metrics like speed live, max speed and 30 sec max and give you helpful information right on your wrist. This includes a live GPS Map, your distance to origin as well as information on your health status and calorie usage.

The GPS recording will show up and be ready to save on your (free) WOO Smartphone App, enabling you to keep a record of your adventures and share them with your friends and family!

Read more on how to set it up on https://docs.woosports.com/docs/garmin-read-me-first

or check the Garmin Store to try it out: https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/fc9b ... d5a2bbb2#0

This was a huge effort by our developers, and we’re beyond excited to finally share the result. So many people have asked for it and we could finally deliver, just in time for the upcoming Team Total Distance discipline in the WOO Worlds as well!

We hope you enjoy and feel free to post any questions you might have.
Just a quick post to say that this is a fantasitc app that you've put together for the kite community. Previously I had to mess around changing activity type after a kitesurf and it was hard to get relevant data on the watch. Realling liking what this app has to offer.

The only constructive critisim I have is the inconsistent way this app handles Start/Pause/Stop

The main Garmin activity apps always start in a paused state. This allows time for GPS fix to occur and for you to be ready to start your activity. A press of the start/stop button begins the activity recording.

A second press of the start/stop button pauses the activity (useful if you need to take a short break for whatever reason but don't want to end recording)

Pressing the back button from a paused state brings up the resume, save, resume later, discard options

It would be great if it was possible for the developers to try and implement something like this so that the app feels consistent with other activities. Also, allowing time for a full GPS lock before starting to record is pretty important.

Return to “Kitesurfing”