Crashing hard

Forum for kitesurfers
BlameTheWind
Rare Poster
Gear: Escape 7 FS 9 RS 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Crashing hard

Postby BlameTheWind » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:23 pm

Today was riding in the wavy spot. Jumped, edging from wawe wasnt good, started spinning. In the air thought i keep kite balanced and then moved it forward. Had a heavy crash in water on my side, i dont know biological term but after crash i couldnt breathe any more, maybe its some kind of shock or cramp, i dont know. It lasted some time, I tried to breathe, but couldnt, thought if i have broken ribs, thought that, will i die... After some time i got little air and slowly bit by bit i was able to brathe more.

Point of this post is how to awoid this type of crashing. From spinning badly controlled jump or trick(like multi front or backrolls) comes confusion, where is kite, where to direct it, it can be back or front side. If i stare it wrongly it can go to loop. I didnt look kite but when spinning its also probably complicated to understand what is where.

What would you do or recommend in situation like this?
For sure i start wearing impact west now, it would probably made it less so hard with that accident today.

kingrat84
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: tarifa, tobago
Has thanked: 0

Re: Crashing hard

Postby kingrat84 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:32 pm

BlameTheWind wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:23 pm
Today was riding in the wavy spot. Jumped, edging from wawe wasnt good, started spinning. In the air thought i keep kite balanced and then moved it forward. Had a heavy crash in water on my side, i dont know biological term but after crash i couldnt breathe any more, maybe its some kind of shock or cramp, i dont know. It lasted some time, I tried to breathe, but couldnt, thought if i have broken ribs, thought that, will i die... After some time i got little air and slowly bit by bit i was able to brathe more.

Point of this post is how to awoid this type of crashing. From spinning badly controlled jump or trick(like multi front or backrolls) comes confusion, where is kite, where to direct it, it can be back or front side. If i stare it wrongly it can go to loop. I didnt look kite but when spinning its also probably complicated to understand what is where.

What would you do or recommend in situation like this?
For sure i start wearing impact west now, it would probably made it less so hard with that accident today.
I recommend eating 4 Caipirinhas before a session.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:38 pm

Sounds like the impact knocked all the air out of your lungs, my understanding is they sort stick like a wet bag and it takes a while to re-inflate them to get them functioning again. There are contortions that you can put yourself through to speed up the re-inflation but I am not qualified to give medical advice.

Did a folding lip catch the board just before take off and send you into a forward rotation?
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
BlameTheWind (Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:51 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Mike101
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 74
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: RS 9m 12m

Postby Mike101 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:54 pm

I had 1 similar incident after catching an edge at high speed in big waves and rough chop. I think I only fell about 2m but being fully horizontal and still moving at over 25knt meant the landing was savage. I also had the stuck lungs sensation and thought my they wouldnt 'reinflate' whilst doubled over trying not to panic over the kite. Not fun and i bought a vest soon after- definitely buy one.
These users thanked the author Mike101 for the post:
BlameTheWind (Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:16 am)
Rating: 3.03%

BlameTheWind
Rare Poster

Postby BlameTheWind » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:02 am

Good to know what happend with lungs/beathing. I thought i need to stay still and calm in situation that im unfamiliar with so i did so.

I went to bacroll rotation and friend told me that kite was behind me, yes i know that now but its not solution, point is how react when there is confusion.

BlameTheWind
Rare Poster

Postby BlameTheWind » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:23 am

I have a impactvest, just been lazy to use it.

Its not first time i fall sidways, changing body position might also help but not sure how.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:24 am

Assuming you have not gone really high, but you are disoriented and therefore unable to make any useful input to the bar, there are two basic choices. Either keep your hands together and arms outstretched and relaxed or let the bar go and use your arms for crash protection.

Also be aware that if you catch a lip and your weight is thrown forward you must do your best not to let this lead to a big bar input on the front hand.

PS Lots of practice under a trainer kite walking through spins can help if you are not worried about looking uncool, and always knowing which is your front hand for the moment or the landing is useful.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:41 am

With back rotation it is natural for many to load the backhand. Peeps have even been known to have learnt backrolls with a kite loop without even realising it. Only later figuring out why their lines were not twisted.

You just have to build up your awareness. Probably the best advice is to keep your hands together to lessen the effect of spurious bar inputs.

Subtle things like pulling your shoulders back whilst pushing your hook forward to get the line tension to pull you straight are not going to stop a disorienting spin caused by a bad takeoff. Spreading out to increase your moment of inertia will reduce rotational velocity but not stop it.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:35 am

trim your kite to very slow to avoid a kite looping and crashing hard.
You might be amazed how things become easier to land a new trick ;-)

wedge
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby wedge » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:55 am

Once out of control spinning, let go of the bar. The kite will most likely correct to noon. Or at least stop pulling you powered sideways.

Return to “Kitesurfing”