Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Crashing hard

Postby Flyboy » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:59 am

BlameTheWind wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:23 pm
Today was riding in the wavy spot. Jumped, edging from wawe wasnt good, started spinning. In the air thought i keep kite balanced and then moved it forward. Had a heavy crash in water on my side, i dont know biological term but after crash i couldnt breathe any more, maybe its some kind of shock or cramp, i dont know. It lasted some time, I tried to breathe, but couldnt, thought if i have broken ribs, thought that, will i die... After some time i got little air and slowly bit by bit i was able to brathe more.

Point of this post is how to awoid this type of crashing. From spinning badly controlled jump or trick(like multi front or backrolls) comes confusion, where is kite, where to direct it, it can be back or front side. If i stare it wrongly it can go to loop. I didnt look kite but when spinning its also probably complicated to understand what is where.

What would you do or recommend in situation like this?
For sure i start wearing impact west now, it would probably made it less so hard with that accident today.
Had exactly the same experience some years ago. Looped the kite while doing a back roll & drove my side hard into the water. I couldn't breathe for about 30 seconds & thought I had broken some ribs. Fortunately, I was in was it chest deep water so was able to stand & recover. Ribs were not broken but badly bruised - took about 4 weeks until I could kite again.

There is a tendency to pull on the bar when in this situation when what you want to be doing is sheeting out to reduce the power in the kite as it loops. Better idea, of course is not to loop the kite at all. Wearing an impact vest will reduce the severity of the impact.

BlameTheWind
Rare Poster
Gear: Escape 7 FS 9 RS 12
Been thanked: 0

Postby BlameTheWind » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:45 am

So looking where kite is wouldnt probably help?

Toby i was riding Soul 15, so its pretty slow. Didnt loop kite. Another time i was going for double frontroll, then probably happend what Herman saied, i accidently pulled front hand and when in air, disoriented/unbalanced i decided to pull more front hand, then kite did loop(12 soul).

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:07 am

Looking can actually start rotation as head follows eyes, shoulders follow head…….. That is not to say you can never look at the kite but again it is awareness. You don’t have to look at the kite to know where it is, it is still on the end of the lines and you can see them right in front of you as pointers.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:07 am

As it was a back rotation you may/probably pulled a little with the backhand. If you had removed the back hand you may have saved it. But as you get a lot better you might just pull even harder to get the kite into a pivot loop and kill the power that way. Looking at the kite is unlikely to help but knowing what to expect and knowing which is the front and which is the back hand can help you make a correction. Of course following Toby’s advice of having a slow stable kite with short bar means you can get away with more accidental backhand pull.
Last edited by Herman on Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Breeze 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:12 am

From experience I’d say the Soul is definitely a kite that will punish you for that sort of thing especially if you pull
It into an accidental loop. Compared to an lei it loops slow and hard. One of the reasons I went back to leis!
Edit just noticed you said you didn’t loop it…
I did also find the Soul is less forgiving when it comes to redirects after jumping although more in the smaller sizes.

leeuwen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Migrating to free style foiling
Gear: Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m
KauperXT Maverick 6M/8M + 11M Falcon
Airrush Ultra v3 5M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M, XR5 10M /12M
Moses Onda / Groove Skate
Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:45 am

I recently forgot my impact vest when I went out to go foiling.
It really makes a huge difference (I guess always falling from some height from the foil doesn't help but I was really amazed at the difference).

Another thing to consider is that waist harnesses will put significant strain on your upper body/rib cage when crashing hard at speed.
Using a seat harness is preferable in my experience. Added benefit its that it is a lot better for your back as well.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
Flyingseb (Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:45 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

dice
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID

Postby dice » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:42 am

BlameTheWind wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:23 pm
Today was riding in the wavy spot. Jumped, edging from wawe wasnt good, started spinning. In the air thought i keep kite balanced and then moved it forward. Had a heavy crash in water on my side, i dont know biological term but after crash i couldnt breathe any more, maybe its some kind of shock or cramp, i dont know. It lasted some time, I tried to breathe, but couldnt, thought if i have broken ribs, thought that, will i die... After some time i got little air and slowly bit by bit i was able to brathe more.

Point of this post is how to awoid this type of crashing. From spinning badly controlled jump or trick(like multi front or backrolls) comes confusion, where is kite, where to direct it, it can be back or front side. If i stare it wrongly it can go to loop. I didnt look kite but when spinning its also probably complicated to understand what is where.

What would you do or recommend in situation like this?
For sure i start wearing impact west now, it would probably made it less so hard with that accident today.
The thing that helped me the most with this is to embrace the spinning.
A jump becomes a jump + spinning as if you intended this to happen.
Try to visualize where you're going to land and focus on that.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:58 pm

I'm amazed that you've never had the "wind knocked out of you" before! I think its happened to me 30 times so far . I wish I could remember how it felt the first time ,that was decades ago !

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:17 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:58 pm
I'm amazed that you've never had the "wind knocked out of you" before! I think its happened to me 30 times so far . I wish I could remember how it felt the first time ,that was decades ago !
Not until I started foiling... how the hell can falling 90cm into water hit so hard!? :lol:
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
pj sofine (Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:36 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:38 pm

Just had a quick research:

There is a good vid on YouTube which covers being winded. Search for “Mechanism for solar plexus attack” if you are interested. Seems that it is more to do with getting the diaphragm out of spasm rather than unsticking lungs. That actually ties in with the recovery movements my old karate and judo instructor used to put us through when we got winded.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
pj sofine (Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:36 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”