NotsoShort
Rare Poster
Gear: 14m RPM
10m RPM
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot Machine V1 big air kite 2022

Postby NotsoShort » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:12 pm

I’m watching the Woo jumps people are doing on it.

fguinda
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sotogrande, Spain
Tarifa, Spain
Estepona, Spain
Style: Straplesss
Gear: Slingshot

Postby fguinda » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:15 pm

Javig84 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:24 pm
tilmann wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:55 pm
tested the Machine 7m today in extremely gusty conditions between 14 and 40 kn: it was absolutely stable, solid and controllable. No problem at all - you feel always safe with this kite. My top speed: 86 km/h. Like my old Rally. But the Machine turns faster, pulls me better through turns and goes better upwind. A Rally on steroids 👍
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Big question is how good is it for big air!? Shape wise it reminded me of the Ozone Edge which is a hang time machine. Can anyone give any input in its jump capabilities.

I have riden Slingshot kites for 10 years, recently just changed to the Orbit 2022 , but dying to try the machine. It always surprised me how the original Rally was killed since it was such a good jumping Kite. Some say the Core XR was inspired in that shape.

I look forward to hearing your comments! And welcome me to the forum 😎
2 years of development. new designer Adi Conrad leading it. anyone knows his background?

Old Rally = new RallyGT + still don´t understand the "Raptor v1 (and last?)". too many "trial and error" by Slingshot...not a good message to the market I guess.

skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Postby skyte » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:23 am

Ha, my login still works after so many years away!

I flew the 8m Machine in strong wind at an event in North Wales last weekend. It was the back end of storm Arwen and I'd guess was 30 to 40+ knots. I tried it for 20mins on Friday for the first time in about 35knots just before storm Arwen smashed into the NW coast with 70knots all night and then we competed the next day. It was 4degC :shake: . 40knots was outside my comfort zone but the kite behaves perfectly; it wasn't that hard to hold an edge once I got on the water. It was a big air event but I haven't ridden wind that strong for over a decade so I was not going to try kiteloops (I have 49 year old knees and I hope to celebrate their 50th birthday next year!). I basically just did massive airs (probably the biggest I've ever done) and by shear luck (another rider pulled out after my second heat) I ended up in the semi finals against Lewis Crathern who had just got back from KOTA in SA. Best seat in the house was boosting huge airs watching Lewis shredding :) I was out of my league but it was the best buzz I've had on a kite for a long long time! Lewis was also on his 8m and doing some insane megaloops... He was on a 10m at KOTA which gives you an idea of how windy it was.

I've been flying Adi Conrad's Axis Kites for about 6 years which are a really nice bridled C kite. I like big air, kiteloops, downloops and the occasional back mobe. I'm 76Kg, 180cm tall. This is a biased review, as I know Adi, but I try to be honest about the kites I fly.

The Machine has been developed as a big air kite. It's high aspect ratio with a high lift aerofoil. It can really fly upwind, the lift is insane and the hangtime is great. The bar pressure is perfect... after flying the same kites for 6 years I thought I'd have to get used to a new kite but you can feel exactly where the kite is; it was really easy and intuitive to fly.

Hopefully over the winter I will get to try the machine in other sizes, back to back with other kites and fly the 8m more. I'll report back.

If your local dealer can get a demo, don't take my word for it just try one if you like riding fast, cranking upwind and boosting big air. After 20years flying kites I would be very surprised if you were disappointed with this kite, but we are all different and have different styles. If you are in North Wales speak to https://www.pkswatersports.com/ in Rhyl. If I can, I will meet up in the North Wales area with my 8m. Get in touch via PKS as I average once a decade on this forum :)

Martyn

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:44 am

Why V1??? Its V2 i Remember machine in 2005...now V2 ..

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:23 am

skyte wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:23 am
I ended up in the semi finals against Lewis Crathern who had just got back from KOTA in SA. Best seat in the house was boosting huge airs watching Lewis shredding :) I was out of my league but it was the best buzz I've had on a kite for a long long time! Lewis was also on his 8m and doing some insane megaloops... He was on a 10m at KOTA which gives you an idea of how windy it was.
Martyn
I've seen Lewis's pictures on Internet with him on the podium (first place). Is that Max Tullet who finished second ?

skyte
Very Frequent Poster

Postby skyte » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:40 am

kiterocky wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:44 am
Why V1??? Its V2 i Remember machine in 2005...now V2 ..
It's the same in name only. Different kite altogether. Different designer, different profile, different construction, different shape, different bridle style, different everything. To call it V2 would be a bit misleading as V2 would suggest some kind of progression from one to the other.

I guess they just loved the name (it is a cool name for a boosting machine!)

I don't think you need to get hung up on this. It's like comparing the BMW Mini to the old Mini from the '60s or the old VW Beetle to the new VW Beetle... there's no point continuing the Version number from an old design that carries nothing significant into the new design.

skyte
Very Frequent Poster

Postby skyte » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:41 am

Baptiste_FR wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:23 am
I've seen Lewis's pictures on Internet with him on the podium (first place). Is that Max Tullet who finished second ?
Yes! and Ned Taylor 3rd. Those guys were fearlessly ripping.

skyte
Very Frequent Poster

Postby skyte » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:54 am

I have riden Slingshot kites for 10 years, recently just changed to the Orbit 2022 , but dying to try the machine. It always surprised me how the original Rally was killed since it was such a good jumping Kite. Some say the Core XR was inspired in that shape.

Big question is how good is it for big air!? Shape wise it reminded me of the Ozone Edge which is a hang time machine. Can anyone give any input in its jump capabilities.

2 years of development. new designer Adi Conrad leading it. anyone knows his background?
The boost does remind me of that Ozone Edge (can't remember which version) that had insane lift... you always just kept going up more than expected. I might be wrong but I thought one particular year was insane and after that they dialled it back a little bit?

Back to back with the Orbit will be interesting... I'm guessing it will have a quieter loop in lower wind ranges (the Orbit trailing edge flutters) and the Orbit is lower aspect ratio so the Machine may well go upwind better. The Orbit boosts well so if you do get chance to fly the same size back to back, let us know!

Pavel10
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 100
Local Beach: Goczialkovice
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Slingshot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Pavel10 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:42 pm

I would especially like to compare it with the Raptor ... if it makes sense to change for a Machine ..

tilmann
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: St.Peter-Ording
Style: highspeedcarving
Gear: highspeedcarving board + 7m Slingshot Machine
Brand Affiliation: www.highspeedcarving.com

Postby tilmann » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:40 pm

Found out today: The MACHINE definitely jumps better than my old RALLYS :thumb:
More lift and more Hangtime.

Return to “Kitesurfing”