Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4 Size Recommendation

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4 Size Recommendation

Postby Flyboy » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:19 pm

My experience with range: I started using the Peaks in Cabarete. Used the 6m in light winds 10 knots to 14 & switched to the 4m in 14 to 18. I didn't feel comfortable with the 6m or the 4m when too powered up & didn't like the "flapping". This summer, locally, I have used the 6m almost exclusively because the winds have been unusually light. Because I have no 5m I would stick with the 6m up to 14/15 knots. I got used to being more powered up.

In the last couple of weeks I've been out on the 4m in winds around 20 knots - I'm now comfortable more powered up with the 4m because of my experience being powered up with the 6m. I don't find either of the kites flap much as I've become more experienced at sheeting & positioning them. A couple of days ago the wind started around 16-17 knots & gradually rose to 20 & finally close to 25 knots. Perfectly comfortable at 20 knots, uncomfortable once it started getting into the mid 20's. So for me, the range of the 4m on a foil is effectively 14 knots to around 22 knots. That's a pretty good range.

The other thing I noticed about the Peaks - after a couple of sessions back on my 3 strut wave kites - is how precise & agile the sheeting is. In comparison LEIs have this "spongey" feel - familiar from being on a SB - where you're constantly adjusting the sheeting to find the sweet spot. Hard to describe, but Peaks have a pull that is both more consistent & more sensitive to sheeting.

What's most impressive about the smaller Peaks - when you're decently powered up - is the way you can link together multiple turns on a wave or series of waves & the kite is always ready to follow you around with no noticeable pull & then give you the smallest boost of power when you need it.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:53 am

Short lines shrinks the window making it way easier to reduce flapping which in turn means substantially better top end. I like the 4m up to about 24 knots and the 3m all the way to 32. Gusts to 35 are no problem. Sustained 35 and your still safe but have to fly it high in the window and you can no longer bodydrag upwind very well.

Launching and landing in high wind is also much nicer on short lines.

watercamper
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 150
Local Beach: Gorge, lower Columbia river, Oregon coast, La Ventana
Style: Foil mostly, Surf, TT seldom
Gear: SS, LF, OR, Mystic, Ion, Lift, O'Neill, Buell, Pro-Tec, Liros, Cab

Postby watercamper » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:04 am

I wonder if us foilers should list body weights and front wing size in our avatar:) Would make it easier don't you think when talking wind range? (This is a joke BTW - Friday afternoon beer humor!) I appreciate all input!!!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:34 am

watercamper wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:04 am
I wonder if us foilers should list body weights and front wing size in our avatar:) Would make it easier don't you think when talking wind range? (This is a joke BTW - Friday afternoon beer humor!) I appreciate all input!!!
80 KG +-. 1000 cm2 front wing.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:35 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:53 am
Short lines shrinks the window making it way easier to reduce flapping which in turn means substantially better top end. I like the 4m up to about 24 knots and the 3m all the way to 32. Gusts to 35 are no problem. Sustained 35 and your still safe but have to fly it high in the window and you can no longer bodydrag upwind very well.

Launching and landing in high wind is also much nicer on short lines.
I'm going to order a set of 14m lines.

Return to “Kitesurfing”