Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone Whip SLS. resistance claim. Survey

Forum for kitesurfers
bbuumm
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Adriatic see
Favorite Beaches: Prea, Guincho, Paracuru, Prasonisi, Sottomarina, Chia, Porto Pollo, Tonnara (bonifacio), Balistra, Tarifa (football)......
Style: crossover
Gear: North kites and bars, brunotti boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Duotone Whip SLS. resistance claim. Survey

Postby bbuumm » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:39 pm

Hi there!

last June i bought a whip sls
the board was so lightweight and the shape fit my style perfectly, and the SLS (strong light superior) concept was so sexy that i decided to invest 1K on it.

Sadly after 5 sessions (literally) it cracked (3rd day of a 20+ days surf holiday)

premise: i don't jump and i don't surf big wave (i wish to), i'm just improving my strapless riding. there was 15-18 kts on choppy. i have been kiteboarding for 10y and i'm around 70kg

I immediate contacted duotone (via shop) for a warranty application but they replied: it is due to an overload, it happens very rarely when you jump or when you ride big wave or big chop. therefore is not covered by warranty.

this made my day very sad and frustrated, but, even if i know exactly what happened (no jumps, no big wave, normal 18kts choppy) i couldn't do nothing so i had to trust them and just tried to find another board asap to spend remaining days of my holiday (whip was no fixable in place).

when i came back home i went to home spot (lake!) and i found out that 2 guys had same problem as mine. their whip sls cracked. one guy has been riding strapless for a couple of months while the other one is advanced, but both boards cracked without relevant shocks. duotone's reply to their claims was the same as mine: no warranty.

So i'm start thinking that maybe something went wrong with the design? maybe the SLS construction strength was overestimated? maybe duotone looked too much after thin thickness and lightweight losing strength?

maybe we all did something wrong or maybe we all were unlucky?

one thing is for sure: we won't never buy another duotone, not for the lack of strength (it could happen with innovative design) but for the total absence of warranty and after sale service.

So i would like to engage a survey:

Did your whip SLS, or a friend of yours', cracked without relevant shocks as well?

thanks
have fun!
cheers!
These users thanked the author bbuumm for the post:
mountain_lake (Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:44 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: Duotone whip sls. resistance claim. SURVEY

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:52 pm

bbuumm wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:39 pm
one thing is for sure: we won't never buy another duotone, not for the lack of strength (it could happen with innovative design) but for the total absence of warranty and after sale service.
Duotone's warranty is a bit perplexing. Quoted from Duotone...

The warranty period for boards and accessories shall be 24 months. The warranty period for defects that can be discovered by the Buyer shall start as of the date of delivery. For any other defect the warranty period shall commence upon delivery of the goods to the end user.

The Buyer shall be obliged to inspect the goods immediately after their arrival at the point of destination. Delivery shall be deemed accepted if we do not receive a written notice of defect within 6 working days, in case of hidden defects within 3 months, after arrival of the goods at the point of destination.

What's not clear is what defines "hidden defects". Is that something that arrises after a period of time riding on the board (within 3 months)? Or an unexpected fracture/failure due to poor manufacturing methods or QC? Regardless, they only give you 3 months to report it.

At this point my question to you is how long have you had the board since you purchased it and did you inspect it upon receipt?

duddd
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Flag Beach
Gear: wtb

Re: Duotone Whip SLS. resistance claim. Survey

Postby duddd » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:43 am

i don't know about surf boards, but i have seen two duotone jamie SLS boards cracked this year. one guy had his board replaced and the other one was just starting the process at that time. not sure how it ended

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:39 pm

Same as the kites (I switched away from Duotone for the same reason): better weight at the cost of durability... I guess weight numbers look better in the brochures. Not for me thanks (ps I'll take a bamboo surfboard any day of the week)

mountain_lake
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 75
Style: TT and Hydrofoil
Gear: Duotone Evo 7+12 , Dice 10 qm
Reedin Supermodel 9+12 qm
Kauper Maverick 10 qm

Postby mountain_lake » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:48 pm

@bbuumm thx for making this post.

We should have more threads like this. Where we discuss product failures and how the manufacturer handles the warranty claims. I'm done with paying a shit load of money and then having to pay again when a product fails. Therefore if there are brands out there who handle their warranty claims properly, I'm your next customer! And I definitely want to avoid the others...

Cheers
These users thanked the author mountain_lake for the post (total 3):
Leon van Bergen (Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:52 pm) • andrzej351 (Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:55 pm) • bbuumm (Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:55 pm)
Rating: 20%

bbuumm
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Prea, Guincho, Paracuru, Prasonisi, Sottomarina, Chia, Porto Pollo, Tonnara (bonifacio), Balistra, Tarifa (football)......

Postby bbuumm » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:55 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:52 pm

At this point my question to you is how long have you had the board since you purchased it and did you inspect it upon receipt?
Well, bought the board at the beginning of last June, cracked around end of july...
Yes, i did checked it and no fails were visible
These users thanked the author bbuumm for the post:
Da Yoda (Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:03 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

bbuumm
Rare Poster

Postby bbuumm » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:59 pm

mountain_lake wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:48 pm
@bbuumm thx for making this post.

We should have more threads like this. Where we discuss product failures and how the manufacturer handles the warranty claims. I'm done with paying a shit load of money and then having to pay again when a product fails. Therefore if there are brands out there who handle their warranty claims properly, I'm your next customer! And I definitely want to avoid the others...

Cheers
thanks to you for replying.
I absolutly agree with your point, i choosed duotone not only for the design but also for their well self advertised warranty... this lack is very sad

bbuumm
Rare Poster

Postby bbuumm » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:30 pm

sarc wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:39 pm
Same as the kites (I switched away from Duotone for the same reason): better weight at the cost of durability... I guess weight numbers look better in the brochures. Not for me thanks (ps I'll take a bamboo surfboard any day of the week)
from my point i wouldn't talk about durability (in the end it was a 5 sessions board) but i'd rather talk about unappropriate resistance to be used for kitesurfing

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
www.pastyadventures.co.uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion
Has thanked: 0

Postby leepasty » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:27 pm

bbuumm wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:30 pm
sarc wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:39 pm
from my point i wouldn't talk about durability (in the end it was a 5 sessions board) but i'd rather talk about unappropriate resistance to be used for kitesurfing
Have you got pics or video of the damage?
I’ve done thousands of massive jumps on my whip sls 5’5 and a bit of heal dent but no cracks. All my sls boards have held up really well with no dings or cracking and I’ve used them all lots.
If it really broke as you say then I’m surprised they have not warrantied it as Duotone are very good and honest with faulty products.
Maybe your pics or video show you landed on it with your harness or it hit a rock as from my experience the sls construction is the strongest I’ve used and it still feels great 😊

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:52 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:52 pm
The warranty period for defects that can be discovered by the Buyer shall start as of the date of delivery. For any other defect the warranty period shall commence upon delivery of the goods to the end user.

The Buyer shall be obliged to inspect the goods immediately after their arrival at the point of destination. Delivery shall be deemed accepted if we do not receive a written notice of defect within 6 working days, in case of hidden defects within 3 months, after arrival of the goods at the point of destination.tt

What's not clear is what defines "hidden defects". Is that something that arrises after a period of time riding on the board (within 3 months)? Or an unexpected fracture/failure due to poor manufacturing methods or QC? Regardless, they only give you 3 months to report it.
I was reevaluating Duotone's warranty and I now believe that it's specific for the Buyer (retailer), not the end Consumer. The Buyer has the responsibility to report any defects within 6 days after receiving (delivery of) the product. In the case of "hidden defects" the Buyer has to report it within 3 months.

So if a board has a 24 month warranty for the end Consumer and the retail Buyer "accepted" the delivery as free of "obvious" defects and did not report any defects or hidden defects as required within the time limits indicated within their T&C, then the warranty claim should be at least evaluated if not honored within the 24 months.

I would print this sheet out and highlight the Buyer's warranty responsibilities and requirements. Take it and the board to the dealer you purchased it from and require (enforce) them to take some action.
https://boards-and-more.com/wp-content/ ... ab2011.pdf

Return to “Kitesurfing”