Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Physiology of Treading Water Efficiently

Forum for kitesurfers
Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

The Physiology of Treading Water Efficiently

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:00 am

madworld
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Re: The Physiology of Treading Water Efficiently

Postby madworld » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:55 am

A Coast Guard approved lifejacket is helpful.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Herman » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:05 am

Interesting and good to be able to tread water efficiently. It might be worth noting that, treading water is rarely, if ever, the best use of energy if you are trying to survive a significant amount of time in water imho.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:01 pm

An interesting academic study but ... If you want to stay alive in the water for an extended period of time and you screwed up, perhaps fatally but not wearing some form of flotation, I would say not to solely rely upon the techniques listed.

Choices have consequences, I am reminded yet again looking into another avoidable kiting accident. Think things over, gear up right for off days including using a suitable impact vest for kiting, carry a hook knife, take hazardous weather seriously, etc., etc..

All watermen should be practiced in "drown proofing" techniques. They are easy and work, as long as it isn't too rough or cold.

There are longer, more detailed videos but this conveys the idea in a few minutes, with kids.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:39 pm

A bit curious now, how much difference is there between the "Drown proofing" where you are on you stomach, and breathe turning your head to the side now and then - compared to the classic "lay on your back where you can breathe all the time, occasional leg kicks to stay afloat"?

Sorry, I dont understand the first post - exactly how does the 4 techniques look, any video?
Probably because I am not an English native, I cant read exactly what the 4 explanations are exactly?
Roughly yes, but in detail, anyone who knows?

8) Peter

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:43 pm

This is very similar to a drown proofing I learned at college in a "swimming" course (thought I would learn all the swimming strokes, but it was actually a drown proofing course). The technique was bobbing with only moving your head up and down. You could stay afloat indefinitely. Had our hands tied behind our backs and our legs tied up crossed so you could not use them to porpoise kick.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:50 pm

Peter it varies with the swimmer and circumstances to be sure. Also, I would hate to try to figure this out from reading Danish, so you have my sympathy. Our heads weigh a lot, too much to unnecessarily exert energy for an extended period of time keeping it above the water when excess fatigue and drowning are factors. Treading water as I understand it means, keeping your head or at least your mouth above water full time. All watermen should know how to do it and be skilled at it. For a survival stroke absent flotation, I wouldn't use it at least not for not for long.

Regarding "drown proofing" there are a variety of techniques. The one which was taught to my kids as infants, differed from that shown in the video. They stuck their head straight up and then back down, without turning their heads to the side. In the open ocean, choppy conditions might preclude the pool technique shown, or not. There are a bunch of SEAL video's online but they run longer.

For me, drown proofing doesn't include floating on my back in the open ocean. My legs sink, calling for unnecessary exertion of energy. Also, if it is choppy, I will be swallowing some water, also tiring. If the water is calm, your legs don't sink, float on your back if that works.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:52 pm

Okay, so Drown proofing is the best, can last for the longest - but I assume being on your back is quite good too, and a LOT more pleasant as you can view what happens, and never underwater with your eyes and nose :D

8) Peter

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:56 pm

In any sort of chop and limited buoyancy the front drown proofing is much more comfortable than being on your back imho. The sinuses and nasal cavities are in a better position on your front imho and you get less surprises from the slop. With a little practice you can hang around for ages with very little effort.

The Bob technique where you look down and curl then look up and uncurl to breath, all in a very relaxed and rhythmical way, is my preference.

Return to “Kitesurfing”