Forum for kitesurfers
Kitego
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

2021 Ozone Contact Water V4 bar depower issue

Postby Kitego » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:07 pm

Hi,
I've been kitting since 2012 and this is the first time I have an issue with a an above the bar depower.
It's a brand new 2021 Ozone Contact water V4 bar that I bought a few months ago and tried it on four different sessions in winds between 12 to 18 Knots with a 12m kite.

The problem is it very hard (need a lot of force) to pull on the depower trim grab handle independent of it's position, locked in or not. In fact, my fingers "snap" off the handle every time I try to grab it. I need to completely stop in the water to trim the bar and then go riding again.
The shop where I bought the bar says it's me the problem but I have owned different bars before from other brands in the past and I was always able to trim the bar while riding, it didn't need that much force to pull the trim rope.
Is it possible because the Ozone bar does not have a pulley that would make it harder to pull the trim rope?

P.S.: I'm a 6'2" 200 lbs guy that goes to the gym 4x a week so I'm quite strong.

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2021 Ozone Contact Water V4 bar depower issue

Postby gibsonandpickett » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:53 pm

It is quite hard to do. I think the handle needs to be bigger, it would make it considerably easier to use. Pull it outwards then pull down.
These users thanked the author gibsonandpickett for the post:
iriejohn (Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:39 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Kitego
Rare Poster

Postby Kitego » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:11 am

gibsonandpickett wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:53 pm
It is quite hard to do. I think the handle needs to be bigger, it would make it considerably easier to use. Pull it outwards then pull down.
Yeah, I tried that but even you need to pull very hard and it is difficult while riding.

Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Zandmotor (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Slufter (Netherlands)
Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn

Postby Jelle_vw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:31 am

Sounds strange to me. Should not need that much force. Without a kite attached to it. Can you trim it then without force?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:32 am

Never used the V4, but that doesn't sound right. Never even heard about that being an issue either.

On my older bar the resistance when you adjust is quite perfect. Enough so that you can easily trim it just as much as you want. Never ever thought about it requiring any effort.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Breeze 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:57 am

I don’t remember my Ozone bar being awkward to trim. Sounds like there is an issue. Of course if you’re well powered there is always going to be some resistance when you trim in, I usually bear off downwind slightly to reduce pull from the kite and trim in at the same time.

If you’re after really low resistance then Ozone do the race bar with double pulley depower, but much more length of flapping trim rope is the downside when depowered.
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
Kitego (Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:48 am)

Kitego
Rare Poster

Postby Kitego » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:37 pm

Jelle_vw wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:31 am
Sounds strange to me. Should not need that much force. Without a kite attached to it. Can you trim it then without force?
Yes when "not loaded" there is zero resistance.

I also tried on land, I attached the flying lines to something solid like a wall and I let myself hang in the harness, it's almost impossible to trim.

Kitego
Rare Poster

Postby Kitego » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:01 pm

andylc wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:57 am
Of course if you’re well powered there is always going to be some resistance when you trim in, I usually bear off downwind slightly to reduce pull from the kite and trim in at the same time.
If the load is greatly reduced, like going down wind or keeping the kite at 12 o'clock, I will be able to trim but still it's not as easy as a Liquid Force bar or even a Switch bar that I previously owned for which I was able to trim while riding loaded.

I'm puzzled and disappointed, this would be the kite equipment that gave me the least satisfaction since I started kiting, it is a very expensive bar on that of that!

Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Zandmotor (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Slufter (Netherlands)
Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn

Postby Jelle_vw » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:33 pm

I don't know other bars but on my contact bar it requires some force but like anybody should be able to handle. For certain a fit guy. I pull it free from the clam cleat, trim it and then back in.
These users thanked the author Jelle_vw for the post (total 2):
Kitego (Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:39 am) • iriejohn (Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:43 am)
Rating: 13.33%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:31 am

Have you tried a Duotone click bar instead? :D

I've had a bar where after forgetting to rinse after kiting, the rope got stuck in the cleat so that when I tried to use the trim, the front lines pulled down (as though pulling on the trim lines instead of the adjuster). I assume its not this that you are talking about?

The difficulty in applying trim should be related to the power going through the front lines. Assuming that you are flying the same kite as with the other bars, there shouldn't be much difference in pulling force. If its different kites then you would expect to see differences in how balanced the front and back line forces are so could expect big differences in how easy it is to trim.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Kitego (Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:13 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”