Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

UK wind this year....

Forum for kitesurfers
JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: UK wind this year....

Postby JakeFarley » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:20 pm

Here on the west coast of Florida June - September are the summer doldrums. I got 12 sessions in during July and August and there were probably another 6 days I missed as I was busy with other things. But I can get out with the foilers with my 21m Speed 5. So in my opinion this has been a pretty good summer here this year.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:30 pm

Kernow was rubbish for wind... but that could be because I bought a new kite. Sorry.

I actually invested in a SUP and some waterproof headphones - it's not a bad sport. A bit slow, but it's nice to find some new watery places.

Flyingseb
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: North Dyno, Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo, Fone Trax Board, OR mako board, DIY boards, hydrofoil

Postby Flyingseb » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:55 pm

Quite windy summer this year in west France (Bretagne) this summer…until 2 weeks ago
The summer was in fact disappointing for tourists, shifty weather pattern, rainy, windy, although not very strong.
All in all, this summer has been somewhat uncommon, better for kiteboarders than for sunbathers, here

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly mostly

Postby Faxie » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:37 pm

mr-markus wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:15 pm
Here in Holland we've got this year a lot and i mean a lot of North -Northwest wind. Normally the dominant direction is South-Southwest, but not this year. climate change?
No, bad memory I think.

All taken from KNMI historical data. Current year really isn't that different with the northern winds. I can waste my time counting my Woo sessions and split them by spot if you want (63 this year) but a quick glance tells me they're for the biggest part from south to west. Last months quite some northern winds though, but that was also the case in previous years.

https://klimaatgek.nl/wordpress/2019/09 ... -de-zomer/
https://klimaatgek.nl/wordpress/2019/09 ... -de-lente/
https://klimaatgek.nl/wordpress/2019/09 ... nd-winter/
https://klimaatgek.nl/wordpress/2019/09 ... de-herfst/

It was an oldfashioned shit summer if you ask me... we got spoiled last 2 years.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:05 am

tkachuk wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:29 pm
July and most of August around the great lakes and southern Ontario had the worst wind I have seen for at least the past 8 years. Maybe 7 or 8 twintip days total with sustained winds >15knots over those two months. Sept has been decent though and hopefully October will be too! Yesterday's SW at Cherry Beach was sweet. I counted 25 kites in the air.
Been windsurfing/kiting the Great Lakes since 1983. This is the worst summer for wind in my memory. Still plenty of days kite foiling, but nearly all of them on my "big kite" (6m Peak4). Almost all of them alone, as there was never enough wind for the SB crew to bother going out. Unheard of. 3 or 4 years ago was so consistently windy that I spent as much time on my 5m & 7m kites as on my 9m & 11m (not foiling). Fortunately, fall winds starting to kick in - had 6 days on my 4m Peak in the last 12 days.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:54 am

Faxie wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:37 pm
It was an oldfashioned shit summer if you ask me... we got spoiled last 2 years.
Yeah you are right...shit summer with some nice wind now and then...got new gear this year and since wind is more off than on :-?

tilmann
Frequent Poster

Postby tilmann » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:36 am

looking for another hobby right now :(
https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/skt_peter-ording

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: ^ Gaining
Local Beach: Camber
Style: Buggy. No tricks just speed
Gear: Genetrix Hydra 8m / Cab SB 5m

Postby RedSky » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:34 am

London SE. Kite Buggy. Only been out twice this year due to a lack of wind/direction. Not a great summer weatherwise. The whole of August was northerlies. The opposite of what's needed. Hoping for a better Autumn.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:43 am

UK south coast here. Normal amount of windy days as far as I'm concerned but a lot more days of wrong wind direction (offshore rather than the usual onshore) so less days on the water.

I've only managed to book one week off work this year and I managed to kite 6 days out of 7 (possibly could have driven 45 minutes to kite on the other day but I like to stick to the local spot) and I'm not the type of person who tends to hang around at a spot so it can't be that bad.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: F-one Bandit 12 7m, 10m, Breeze 13m
Nomad Carbon C Wave 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:10 am

UK South West - I feel like it’s been a pretty good Summer but with variable wind directions - I kind of like this as it makes me go to several different locations. Had time off work recently and was able to kite on about 50% of the days I got off. Would have managed more but had to spend time with the family…

Return to “Kitesurfing”